HELP! Droid4 Soft-bricked

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
I just updated to the OTA Jellybean update last night and rooted. Then using an app list backup program I reinstalled all my apps. Chain fire left me soft bricked. When the phone boots up I get the red logo and then a blank screen. I can get to recovery and ap fastlboot, maybe a couple other modes I haven't tried. I do not have safestrap. I downloaded jellybean rom, but it fails because the phone is rooted. All other rooms I can find abort after trying to verify. HELP PLEASE!

smoysauce

Reaction score
If you are on the official JB OTA you won't be able to fastboot since the sbf files are not available yet, so don't try that or you will for sure brick. Did you just try doing a factory reset in android recovery?

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
If you are on the official JB OTA you won't be able to fastboot since the sbf files are not available yet, so don't try that or you will for sure brick. Did you just try doing a factory reset in android recovery?

Yes, I did factory reset and formatted cache to no gain. New development, I tried another fix I read online and I think I am fully bricked. Can't get any signs of life from the phone. I did the power plus volume down trick and even unscrewed the battery. Nothing.

kenji91

Reaction score
Yes, I did factory reset and formatted cache to no gain. New development, I tried another fix I read online and I think I am fully bricked. Can't get any signs of life from the phone. I did the power plus volume down trick and even unscrewed the battery. Nothing.

Your battery probably just died. I don't think it charges in fastboot/recovery.

kenji91

Reaction score
I just updated to the OTA Jellybean update last night and rooted. Then using an app list backup program I reinstalled all my apps. Chain fire left me soft bricked. When the phone boots up I get the red logo and then a blank screen. I can get to recovery and ap fastlboot, maybe a couple other modes I haven't tried. I do not have safestrap. I downloaded jellybean rom, but it fails because the phone is rooted. All other rooms I can find abort after trying to verify. HELP PLEASE!

Did you backup all apps and try to restore them all? You probably overwrote some JB system apps with ICS ones. Are you sure you were fully on JB, and not on a JB kexec ROM on the ICS kernel?

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
Battery was fully charged when I started, been on charger for about an hour and still no signs of life, not even green light. I didn't back up any apps, I backed up a list of apps and reinstalled all from market. I was fully on jellybean, the update came out yesterday.

GigaJake

Reaction score
if you have a borked OS, charging won't do anything. The phone doesn't even charge when in fastboot mode. Unless you can get it to charge and I'm just jumping the gun, you have two options:

Sacrifice a usb cable and manually charge the battery until it has enough juice to keep troubleshooting

Or

Get a motorola factory cable that supports fastbooting without a well charged battery. Even then, no jellybean sbf files have been released. You're out of luck as of now.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

smoysauce

Reaction score
if you have a borked OS, charging won't do anything. The phone doesn't even charge when in fastboot mode. Unless you can get it to charge and I'm just jumping the gun, you have two options:

Sacrifice a usb cable and manually charge the battery until it has enough juice to keep troubleshooting

Or

Get a motorola factory cable that supports fastbooting without a well charged battery. Even then, no jellybean sbf files have been released. You're out of luck as of now.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, unfortunately. Just a last thought, I know you tried the power + vol down, did you try power + vol down & vol up? You need to hold it for a little while, maybe try a couple times. If you had a fully charged battery and were stuck in fastboot mode the battery should last for a couple hours I would think, then again, who knows! If you can get back into android recovery, I would try re-downloading one of the OTA's from myfishbear and put it on your sd card on your computer then put it in the phone and try to reflash again.

jmagi

Reaction score
yeah i think once u can get into recovery to perform a wipe/factory reset then ur not totally bricked. id try reinstalling the update from microsd zip as recommended above. u may have really ovewritten jb files with ics ones. some programs just dont work with jb anymore as i just found out and cause all sorts of problems. so if u were hoping for a shortcut to get back to where u were ur out of luck i guess. i myself had to rebuild everything from scratch, setup my themes etc. took me all day. also be sure u used the correct official ota file.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

newgeta

Reaction score
I was in a similar situation, ended up going to Cables and picking up a "factory cable adapter" that allowed me to power the d4 even when there was no battery.

I was able to get into fast boot using that then flash the stock ICS rom.
Mind you, I was coming from Eclipse, so I douno how relevant that is, might be worth the ten bucks for the adapter though to give it a try.

edit*

Was able to find my old post on XDA, might be of some use to you, might not, you do this at your own peril.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1963892

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
Just to give some conclusion to this thread, I have since replaced the phone and tried putting the battery from the new phone into the brick phone. It was still completely unresponsive, total brick.