Is it really necessary to factory reset phone to download jellybean?

bohemouth

Reaction score
i read the post about what to do with the ICS update from GB. It was a pretty massive overhaul. I have read many times on this forum to factory reset your phone whenever you get a new update. I have not rooted the phone, so it's just regular ICS that came with it.

I may be redundant, and i apologize. I just need to know if it truly is necessary to do a factory reset for jellybean on the Maxx HD when there is not a huge difference in the upgraded software. I will do it if the consensus is "Yes, It is important because...." i finally have the phone set up the way i like and i don't really want to have to set up everything allover again (whine, whine,whine).

I want the most optimal upload of jellybean to my phone without any stragglers of ICS.....wait a minute, I think I just answered my own question.:blink:

KaChow

Reaction score
With the JB 4.1.1 update it was not a big change. If you are thinking of Rooting, do it before taking the update.

When I took the update, all my system apps were fine, had to adjust calendars, but third-party email was fine. In case I didn't say it, Do Not Factory Reset, unnecessary.

View attachment 58816

OP
bohemouth

bohemouth

Reaction score
With the JB 4.1.1 update it was not a big change. If you are thinking of Rooting, do it before taking the update.

When I took the update, all my system apps were fine, had to adjust calendars, but third-party email was fine. In case I didn't say it, Do Not Factory Reset, unnecessary.

View attachment 58816

Thanks Ka-Chow!

RaveD

Reaction score
If you are thinking of Rooting, do it before taking the update.
Why? I thought rooted phone would not accept the OTA update.

I planned to wait for the JB update before rooting. I realize it may be some time before they crack it, but I'm sure they will.

clintro

Reaction score
You can, I believe, root then unroot using a root keeper app (like VooDoo) then re-root after the upgrade.

Last edited:

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rooted phones can take OTA, they won't take if you however made changes to the /system/ that the OTA looks for when upgrading.

Root ICS, use VooDoo Root Keeper from the Market to backup the root, then choose the temp unroot option, take the OTA and use VooDoo to restore root and boom, root on Jelly Bean. Super awesome.

Make sure you have the latest update to your superuser app as well as the binaries as well (there's an option in the superuser app to update binaries, run it).

harp666

Reaction score
bohemouth said:
i read the post about what to do with the ICS update from GB. It was a pretty massive overhaul. I have read many times on this forum to factory reset your phone whenever you get a new update. I have not rooted the phone, so it's just regular ICS that came with it.

I may be redundant, and i apologize. I just need to know if it truly is necessary to do a factory reset for jellybean on the Maxx HD when there is not a huge difference in the upgraded software. I will do it if the consensus is "Yes, It is important because...." i finally have the phone set up the way i like and i don't really want to have to set up everything allover again (whine, whine,whine).

I want the most optimal upload of jellybean to my phone without any stragglers of ICS.....wait a minute, I think I just answered my own question.:blink:

While it may not be necessary to do a factory reset,I plan on doing just that when jellybean has been sent to my phone and installed. From my experience with updates to Android you get a clean update by doing so,thus avoiding any conflicts or errors. Just my 2 cents.

OP
bohemouth

bohemouth

Reaction score
While it may not be necessary to do a factory reset,I plan on doing just that when jellybean has been sent to my phone and installed. From my experience with updates to Android you get a clean update by doing so,thus avoiding any conflicts or errors. Just my 2 cents.

Well, that's what I thought. Just making sure. I have heard lots of talk about doing a factory reset for just that clean update. I guess my question should be "to get a clean update from ICS to Jellybean, I should factory reset my phone for the most optimal performance? Correct?"

harp666

Reaction score
After the jellybean update has finished I will do a factory data reset....not before.

RaveD

Reaction score
Rooted phones can take OTA, they won't take if you however made changes to the /system/ that the OTA looks for when upgrading.

Root ICS, use VooDoo Root Keeper from the Market to backup the root, then choose the temp unroot option, take the OTA and use VooDoo to restore root and boom, root on Jelly Bean. Super awesome.

Make sure you have the latest update to your superuser app as well as the binaries as well (there's an option in the superuser app to update binaries, run it).

That's great! I just received the update notification, so I will take this approach.

Just to confirm, did you use the root procedure described here?

DROID RAZR HD, RAZR M, and Atrix HD All Rooted – Droid Life

Or is this one preferred:

Droid Razr Maxx HD (XT926) - Jelly Bean OTA - 9.1.41.XT926 + Root - xda-developers

Can I root without wiping the phone, and then install the OTA update leaving all my apps and data intact?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's great! I just received the update notification, so I will take this approach.

Just to confirm, did you use the root procedure described here?

DROID RAZR HD, RAZR M, and Atrix HD All Rooted – Droid Life

Or is this one preferred:

Droid Razr Maxx HD (XT926) - Jelly Bean OTA - 9.1.41.XT926 + Root - xda-developers

Can I root without wiping the phone, and then install the OTA update leaving all my apps and data intact?

either root will work, and yes, you can root without wiping the phone.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I just want to add that I do not factory reset after an OTA but i do go in an clear cache in stock recovery once it is complete...

clintro

Reaction score
Also... you can upgrade... see how things work and then if you start having issue or problem then you can factory reset.

RaveD

Reaction score
Worked like a charm.

I now have rooted JB with the OTA upgrade.

Thanks for your help, macpro88!