Updated from rooted ICS; can I still root?

Gingerkid1234

Reaction score
Currently running jellybean(4.1.2) I updated from a rooted ICS. I still have superuser and a few other root applications. Just wondering if I can just follow the steps for rooting JB or if i have to factory reset and then do those steps.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Do the rooted apps still work? A bit too late to ask now, but I'm guessing you didn't use Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper either?

OP
G

Gingerkid1234

Reaction score
Do the rooted apps still work? A bit too late to ask now, but I'm guessing you didn't use Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper either?

No they currently do not work and have never heard of that app. What should my next step be? Factory reset, update and root? Or since my phone has "no root access" would it allow me to do a simple root? I haven't rooted in a while so i'm not too up-to-date with anything.

OP
G

Gingerkid1234

Reaction score
I just downloaded the voodoo root keeper and it shows a checklist as following:
Superuser app installed (check)
Device Rooted (no check)
Root Permission granted (no check)
/system supports root protection (check)
Protected su copy available (no check)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Voodoo only works BEFORE you accept an OTA.

As for root now, I would think you could just go about a simple root.

Not too sure tbh. Never ran into that problem myself as I always had Voodoo or always ran a custom ROM.

s_cuttic

Reaction score
Try to root using the RAZR Blade method. You download a small zip file, extract it and run the .bat file called "run.bat" I think that's what it's called. I just used it earlier today but I forgot. My phone fell victim to a bad gmail update last night and it totally screwed my phone up bad for a day....had to use the fast boot files and RSD Lite to fix it.

The RAZR blade method is super simple to use. You run the smart actions app and hit enter like 5 different times on the computer within 10 min and phone reboots on it's own. Super simple. Can't hurt to try. YouTube if you're not sure