Tested and Confirmed! UPDATE TO 2.3.6 / 6.12.174 and KEEP ROOT! EZ Too!

Dunb440

Reaction score
I edited this post to remove the 174 which was pulled.
READ COMPLETELY BEFORE ATTEMPTING!

Basically, you need to update to 2.3.6 / 6.12.173

The webpage below has step by step EZ instructions.

DROID RAZR Android 2.3.6 update (6.12.173) leaks, Install without root | TalkAndroid.com

Simply do steps as described.

When your phone comes back up, goto voodoo app and restore root!

I did this tonight and it worked flawlessly on my rooted Razr Maxx 2.3.5 / 6.11.748!
I also had erased golf, madden and blockbuster but it worked anyways!
No it did not reinstall them either.

If you went to 174 and want to go back without a problem,
the instructions are here:
http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/749-droid-razr-utility/

I used that to go back to 748, and I didn't loose anything except root.
re-rooted, then re-did the 173 update as stated above and bada bing.

Sorry if this caused any problems.

Last edited:

rdgxray

Reaction score
I am stock and tried this and it just says file signature error on both files. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
What ver did you start with?

this is for 6.11.748 / 2.35 Rooted or not

I am stock and tried this and it just says file signature error on both files. Any ideas?

rdgxray

Reaction score
I am not rooted...just got phone did 1 ota update now I match the 1st leak files numbers. Downloaded both files and moved them to sd-ext with astro from stock recovery it tries to install 1st update to 173 but says signature verification error??? Wth? I am sure am 100% stock.

Reaction score
I am not rooted...just got phone did 1 ota update now I match the 1st leak files numbers. Downloaded both files and moved them to sd-ext with astro from stock recovery it tries to install 1st update to 173 but says signature verification error??? Wth? I am sure am 100% stock.

You said you did one ota and you match the first leak. So it's your current system 173? If so, you don't need to run the first update.... just the second one.

rdgxray

Reaction score
I am at 6.11.748

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you successfully downloaded the newest update manually via file manager and if so, you must have had to rename the file to update.zip in order for stock recovery to install. Not sure if you are or were stock or not. Nor am I sure what you were running prior to update. If you do make it. Let me know what you think of the update...please? Thanks...and Peace!
Edit ..this is to rdx.
:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you saying you successfully downloaded the newest update manually via file manager and if so, you must have had to rename the file to update.zip in order for stock recovery to install. Not sure if you are or were stock or not. Nor am I sure what you were running prior to update. If you do make it. Let me know what you think of the update...please? Thanks...and Peace!
Edit ..this is to rdx.
:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...

This is not true. You do not need to change the name. In stock recovery you get to choose the zip file to install. On older phones you would have had to change the name because the phone would only look for the file named update.zip but that it's not the case anymore.

Reaction score

These updates are official packages so to should not be getting signature issues. Unless you got a bad download. If you are stock and the files downloaded correctly, you should not have any issues.

Reaction score
Also...... all users need to be aware that the links provided by the OP are leaked updates and are not the official ota files.
If you install these leaks, you will most likely be taken off of the update path. Essentially, this means when ICS is pushed out, you will not get it.

Of course there is a way to get back on track for future updates but that will require fastboot files back to system 744.

If you don't want to put yourself in that position, be patient and do not use these leaks.