FIX: Soft Bricked after reverting from Jelly Bean update

kijutsu

Reaction score
[SUB]This worked absolutely FLAWLESSLY. Thanks so much.

Side tip -- if you clear data/cache immediately following the JB update install, you won't have issues with the first full boot of Jelly Bean.

Again.. thanks![/SUB]

OP
CamoMike

CamoMike

Reaction score
[SUB]This worked absolutely FLAWLESSLY. Thanks so much.

Side tip -- if you clear data/cache immediately following the JB update install, you won't have issues with the first full boot of Jelly Bean.

Again.. thanks![/SUB]

Thought it could work but never fully tested. I edited the OP.

Camo

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks brah, but, I do things in life to help people. I appreciate the love and am glad I could have helped. Trust me, my shoes aren't meant to be kissed...

I also didn't do it myself. I did a lot of reading and used my 20 years of IT experience into forming a solution to my problem and shared it with the world. Everyone, from the developers, moderators, site admins should get the thanks as well. A little bit goes a long way.

I like the DF community and how it helps, not hinders people. We all do it out of the love of technology and to make it work better for us, not control us.

Camo:blink:

Man, that post ^^ belongs on a plaque or something! I almost cried! KUDOS to Camo!! :D:thumbup:

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

pknowls

Reaction score
A couple questions

Sorry about the specifics... if they seem dumb... but I followed this through a couple times and was unsuccessful still. I am in the same situation that you seem to have been in.

1. At what point do you plug in you phone to the computer to run Matt's Utility 1.82? There is no way to run it on the actual phone right?

2. Whenever I reboot at any point i jump straight into the AP Fastboot menu. Is there away of avoiding this?

3. How far do you get into running the Utility? It wont even start for me.. This is what I get:

utility.PNG

4. Again Step 6, when I power off... when i power back on it goes straight to AP Fastboot. Thoughts?

If anything sticks out to you guys that I am blatantly doing wrong please let me know!
Thanks!

Edub594

Reaction score
OH MY GOD SIR YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND EVER!
Finally fixed my phone, so happy right now it's ridiculous :icon_ lala:
I would just like to say, you're awesome :hail:

dirkdigital

Reaction score
Sweet Jeebus, you sir are a-freakin-mazing. After almost a week of a bricked Razr, I finally resurrected it with your help. Thank you so much. You deserve a medal. :hail::hail::hail:

tygerchylde

Reaction score

This looks like you didn't properly unzip the file/folder.(edit: The utility is unable, for some reason, to access the program necessary to run the commands. This is why you are getting the "unrecognised command" errors. It may be that the drivers are outdated. I don't know. But something is not there.)

Answers:

1. Plug in your phone BEFORE you start the utility.

2. No. You are softbricked. This state inherently means that all you can access is the fastboot menu.

3. Answered at top.

4. See #2.

Should have answered this a while ago. Life has kept me too busy for playtime.

JstewsMole

Reaction score
Help please

When attempting step 10, I get an error that says....asser_failed: applypatch_check("EMMC:boot:8388608:46b1d867743b5a4db403dc2c67a124cbd2b173:888608:7abc93ac503ff390688f5e933824211be6789b") E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted. Any help would be great...I have no phone now...

Papa_T

Reaction score

These instructions will get you back to a WORKING
ROOTED

Jelly Bean Razr/Maxx instead of a warm brick in your pocket

I am in no way trying to steal anyone's thunder but I wanted to update HOW to get back to a working JB if you get errors or try to roll back to ICS (which we all know you shouldn't do). I have read many threads and tried so many variables to now have a perfect solution. This spawned from d4vr0s --> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...cked-after-reverting-jelly-bean-update-3.html

Tested on my personal Droid Razr XT912 US - Verizon (multiple, multiple times). I used the following to update it to Jelly Bean - [Leaked-Ota][Cdma][4.1.2] Jelly Bean 98.72.8 (12/27/12) - xda-developers. All hell broke loose when I tried to re-root (with methods that WERE WARNED) and blew up/bricked/softbricked my razr.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

1. Have a copy of Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US on your external hard drive. Make sure it is a fresh/clean copy. Dev-Host - Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
  2. Download MD5Checker here - MD5 Checker - CNET Download.com and make sure the hash = "c8772dc305d0de94d6e977fb51f3eac5"
  3. Download Matt's 1.82 utility here - http://batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR/DroidRazrUtility1.82.zip
FIX TIME - YOU CANNOT be plugged into a PC during this. Either be fully charged or charge through an AC wall outlet.
  1. With a lovely FUBARed razr/maxx boot into recovery mode
  2. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
  3. Run "wipe cache partition"
  4. Reboot phone and select "AP Fastboot"
  5. Run Matt's 1.82 utility on your phone, choose option 1. (Boot.img will fail but it is ok)
  6. Power off, wait 3 seconds and power on. You will boot into Android configuration. (5 minutes)
  7. Once the config is done you will see the red M boot logo and then a black screen. Force boot into recovery
  8. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
  9. Run "wipe cache partition"
  10. Select "apply update from external storage" and select "Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" (10 minutes)
  11. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
  12. Run "wipe cache partition"final time
Thanks to kijutsu for making this process a bit faster...

ONTO ROOT

Follow this post - Root achieved for JB OTA RAZR/MAXX XT912 (RAZR Blade)! - DroidRzr.com and donate to Dan Rosenberg here - http://goo.gl/zBGb0.

UPON COMPLETION/TESTING ROOT WORKS

I highly recommend installing Safestrap 3.11 - [RECOVERY] Safestrap Recovery v3.1 [12/29/2012 V3.11 - Stock Flash+] - xda-developers. Run a full backup and you can sit back and enjoy a working Jelly Bean phone (finally)...

There you go, 18 hours testing to about 10 minutes of typing. If this helps one person that's all that matters. If anyone has issues regarding these steps AFTER TRYING THESE EXACT STEPS, please let me know, and I will do my best to assist you.

Please like this if you have used it successfully. I don't need money, but support goes a long way...

Camo

Camo, You my friend, just saved my butt. I had totally bricked my phone trying to prepare for the upcoming Jelly Bean OTA and couldn't do anything. I even struggled to get the phone in AP Fastboot at times. I searched the forums for help and found this thread. Your directions were dead on and everything worked just as you stated.

I wish I could do more than write this to express my gratitude for your insight and knowledge. Thank you again...:hail::hail::hail: dancedroiddancedroid

P.S. I know others had a hand in this as well, so i want to extend a huge thanks to everyone involved.

prudenvm

Reaction score
Thank you so much!!!

My situation was slightly different as to how I bricked my phone...But this solution still worked like a charm. YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well folks, it appears that CamoMike has done it yet again :hail: ...this time for ME!:icon_ banana:

My phone failed on the .16 upgrade, probably because I didn't do a good job of getting it completely back to stock - deleting circles and such...similar to Papa_T above. So I then had a bad install. :frown:

Upon powering on, the regular lock screen would appear and I could unlock to the Phone, Camera and Text normally, but it failed unlocking to the Home Screen. :angry: It would open and then stop at a black screen with the Status bar showing. I could pull down the status bar, but couldn't get to a regular home screen. I could even press and hold the Home button and get to the running/recent apps, but simply pressing home always resulted in the black screen with status bar.

So I went with Mike's plan.

I am happy to report that the side-loading of the Christmas Jelly Bean Leak is going fine. I will then install the .16 upgrade (overlay for the Jelly Bean Leak), and should be back to complete stock Jelly Bean on version .16.

Update1; The recovery flashing was a success...now to boot into Jelly Bean Leak and then to upgrade. :icon_ lala:

Update2; The side-loading of the Jelly Bean Leak went without a hitch. Then did the side-load of the Blur_Version.98.72.8.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip, and it's now rebooting. I will have the most recent version of Jelly Bean running in moments! :biggrin:

Update3; I've completed the 98.72.16 upgrade, and AFTERWARDS Rooted with the Root achieved for JB OTA RAZR/MAXX XT912 (RAZR Blade) exploit! by Dan Rosenberg! This proves that the exploit works even on the Jelly Bean OTA versions! Finally, I successfully installed Safestrap 3.1 and completed a system backup.
All is well and good in the world of Droid RAZR MAXX and the OTA Jelly Bean and I owe all it to CamoMike (and of course to the Devs Matt, Dan and Hashcode for their awesome RAZR tools)!! dancedroid

THANKS, CAMOMIKE for your EXCELLENT post and thread. You will be recognized by members as a leader and for good reason. You have showed those with soft-bricked phones a real path out of the scary woods and back into the comfort of the suburbs... (pardon the reference to "Over the Hedge" Loved the movie! LOL!)

LowKeyIdaho

Reaction score
RAZR Brick

Tried your setup to recover. got all the way to installing blur_Verizon.616.211.XT912.Verizon.en.us.zip.
Installed fine up to BP.
Failed at: assert failed:Motorola Motoflash ("/tmp/bp.img")
I was actually getting excited up to that point.
Any good ideas of advice?
Thanks
Larry
PS---Forgot to state that I was on ICS, and upgraded to JB from the Dec. update file. Also was rooted via RAZRblade.
This is/was my first attempt at rooting and up till now was going great. Unfortunatly I attempted to do the JB leaked to JB
Update fix. That's what got Me int this mess.

kinda179

Reaction score
I tried to run the recover and it failed at step 10

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC:boot:8388608:46b1d867743b5a4db403dc2cd67a124cbd2b2173:8388608:7abc93a
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Any ideas of what I can do at this point.

MrC1122

Reaction score
Kudos Camo, excellent job! Everything went fine untill step 6 - got stuck in AP fastboot. After a few attempts, I did a forced reboot and then it went into configuration. Afterwards, i was able to go into recovery, applied update and all seemed to be fine. Attempting to root however, failed. Upon opening razr blade, it searched for device (never found) opened daemon and stopped. I let it sit about 20min. and still nothing happened. Any ideas?

WoodyDE

Reaction score
I tried to run the recover and it failed at step 10

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC:boot:8388608:46b1d867743b5a4db403dc2cd67a124cbd2b2173:8388608:7abc93a
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Any ideas of what I can do at this point.
I am getting the same error.

Any help would be apprecitated