Soft Bricked after reverting from Jelly Bean update

d4vr0s

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me out of this and I won't have to go to Verizon. I did a dumb thing, some background:

I had ICS with one of the patches they came out with later.
-Tried flashing to JB and it failed on file verification.
-Used Matt's 1.82 utility to put the phone back to stock ICS, but forgot to root :(
-Updated to JB
-Upon reboot, realizing that I forgot to root first I thought, hey I'll just go back to stock ICS and start over. Big mistake!
-I tried reverting back with Matt's 1.82 again and it failed on flashing the boot.img, so I tried using RSD Lite and the ICS SBF files and it also fails.
The error I'm getting when trying to write boot.img is "(bootloader) Preflash validation failure" So now I can't boot ICS nor can I reapply the JB update.

Anyone have any ideas on how to either get back to ICS or get JB working?

Last edited:

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Way beyond my knowledge, I think you need the jelly bean fastboot files which might not be available for quite some time

Last edited by a moderator:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
From what I understand you can't go back to ICS from the JB leak yet... and I think the above poster is correct, there aren't any fastboot files available yet... beat bet is to take it in and I hope Verizon goes easy on you. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
D

d4vr0s

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of :(
Thanks for the replies

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me out of this and I won't have to go to Verizon. I did a dumb thing, some background:

I had ICS with one of the patches they came out with later.
-Tried flashing to JB and it failed on file verification.
-Used Matt's 1.82 utility to put the phone back to stock ICS, but forgot to root :(
-Updated to JB
-Upon reboot, realizing that I forgot to root first I thought, hey I'll just go back to stock ICS and start over. Big mistake!
-I tried reverting back with Matt's 1.82 again and it failed on flashing the boot.img, so I tried using RSD Lite and the ICS SBF files and it also fails.
The error I'm getting when trying to write boot.img is "(bootloader) Preflash validation failure" So now I can't boot ICS nor can I reapply the JB update.

Anyone have any ideas on how to either get back to ICS or get JB working?
d4vr0s I'm afraid you are stuck. Unfortunately, once you flashed/updated to JB there was no way to go back to ICS, for right now. You're going to have to wait until the fastboot files for JB are released/obtained. One of the warnings that should have been explained to you where ever you got the JB download was that once you installed JB there was no going back to ICS until the JB fastboot files were obtained. I may be wrong but I think you are stuck for right now.

OP
D

d4vr0s

Reaction score
I have an idea if I can remove the asset checking of the boot in the JB update, it might let me reflash. The problem is I don't know how to resign the update file after editing the script.

bazookajoe

Reaction score
i did the same thing, and i thought mine was toast . mine would not even boot back up the screen would flash a light for a second, then nothing i kept trying to boot it into
stock recovery, by holding both volume keys and the power button after about 20 min of trying it finally booted into stock recovery, and i did factory wipe, then cache wipe then reinstalled the jellybean update that was on my sd card from factory recovery and all is good once again...

OP
D

d4vr0s

Reaction score
I've tried that multiple times, the JB update fails with apply_patch_check on EMMC:boot

Beckeramos

Reaction score
I've tried that multiple times, the JB update fails with apply_patch_check on EMMC:boot

My question is do you know someone with another cell phone that can download the jellybean file onto their sd card? Cauoif you do you can take your sd card out, replace it with there's then install jellybean. Same thing happened with me and this fixed my issue.

OP
D

d4vr0s

Reaction score
What Jellybean file are you referring to? I have the update on my SD card already.

Beckeramos

Reaction score
What Jellybean file are you referring to? I have the update on my SD card already.

Ok well then if that's the case you should still be able to go into recovery and flash the jellybean update zip. Same thing happened to me and I'm on jellybean with everything running smooth. Just hold volume up/down with power at the same time. When the screen pops up select recovery. When the little green guy appears hit volume up/down again. Select update from sd card... Select the jellybean file. Let it do its thing. Should work.

Last edited:

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09

Out of curiosity, how did you get the Jelly Bean update zip? Just wondering because if you grabbed it from a post, the OP should have definitely posted that there is no way at all to go back to ICS.

No amount of what anyone does is going to allow you to fastboot back to .211

Sadly reflashing the update.zip will only work if you haven't already debloated the JB that was on your phone before you tried to fastboot. If you altered that build in anyway, reflashing the update.zip will fail.

Beckeramos

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how did you get the Jelly Bean update zip? Just wondering because if you grabbed it from a post, the OP should have definitely posted that there is no way at all to go back to ICS.

No amount of what anyone does is going to allow you to fastboot back to .211

Sadly reflashing the update.zip will only work if you haven't already debloated the JB that was on your phone before you tried to fastboot. If you altered that build in anyway, reflashing the update.zip will fail.

He will not be able to go back to. 211 as a working system but once he used the fast boot file to go back. 211 will be the system on the phone. Yes the phone won't operate but he'll be able to go into recovery and flash the jellybean zip and have fully functional jellybean. Just won't be able to get root.

WireHead

Reaction score
Use Matt's 1.8.2 (option 1) this will install .211 and no it won't fully boot.

Boot it anyway. You will spend some time with the Android with the rotating "heart" for lackof a better term, then it will fail.

Boot back into stock recovery, and choose to update from the /sdcard. This brings you back to stock Jelly Bean, still no way back and no way forward (no way to re-root) But at least you can make and take calls, and do non-root things with it again.

EDIT: Welcome to my hell.

Last edited:
OP
D

d4vr0s

Reaction score
spc_hicks09: I got it off the XDA Developers thread. I did not read thoroughly enough and only blame myself for my predicament. I still have the original JB update on my sdcard, it will not flash.
I think I stymied myself when I tried using RSD Lite to flash the sbf of ICS. I'd be happy to get just the stock JB working without root, but no joy.