FIX: Soft Bricked after reverting from Jelly Bean update

CamoMike

Reaction score

These instructions will get you back to a WORKING
ROOTED

Jelly Bean Razr/Maxx instead of a warm brick in your pocket

I am in no way trying to steal anyone's thunder but I wanted to update HOW to get back to a working JB if you get errors or try to roll back to ICS (which we all know you shouldn't do). I have read many threads and tried so many variables to now have a perfect solution. This spawned from d4vr0s --> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...cked-after-reverting-jelly-bean-update-3.html

Tested on my personal Droid Razr XT912 US - Verizon (multiple, multiple times). I used the following to update it to Jelly Bean - [Leaked-Ota][Cdma][4.1.2] Jelly Bean 98.72.8 (12/27/12) - xda-developers. All hell broke loose when I tried to re-root (with methods that WERE WARNED) and blew up/bricked/softbricked my razr.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING
  1. Have a copy of Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US on your external hard drive. Make sure it is a fresh/clean copy. Dev-Host - Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
  2. Download MD5Checker here - MD5 Checker - CNET Download.com and make sure the hash = "c8772dc305d0de94d6e977fb51f3eac5"
  3. Download Matt's 1.82 utility here - http://batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR/DroidRazrUtility1.82.zip
FIX TIME - YOU CANNOT be plugged into a PC during this. Either be fully charged or charge through an AC wall outlet.
  1. With a lovely FUBARed razr/maxx boot into recovery mode
  2. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
  3. Run "wipe cache partition"
  4. Reboot phone and select "AP Fastboot"
  5. Run Matt's 1.82 utility on your phone, choose option 1. (Boot.img will fail but it is ok)
  6. Power off, wait 3 seconds and power on. You will boot into Android configuration. (5 minutes)
  7. Once the config is done you will see the red M boot logo and then a black screen. Force boot into recovery
  8. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
  9. Run "wipe cache partition"
  10. Select "apply update from external storage" and select "Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" (10 minutes)
  11. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
  12. Run "wipe cache partition"final time
Thanks to kijutsu for making this process a bit faster...

ONTO ROOT

Follow this post - http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/6924-root-achieved-for-jb-ota-razrmaxx-xt912-razr-blade/ and donate to Dan Rosenberg here - http://goo.gl/zBGb0.

UPON COMPLETION/TESTING ROOT WORKS

I highly recommend installing Safestrap 3.11 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1391875. Run a full backup and you can sit back and enjoy a working Jelly Bean phone (finally)...

There you go, 18 hours testing to about 10 minutes of typing. If this helps one person that's all that matters. If anyone has issues regarding these steps AFTER TRYING THESE EXACT STEPS, please let me know, and I will do my best to assist you.

Please like this if you have used it successfully. I don't need money, but support goes a long way...

Camo

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
All

I am in no way trying to steal anyone's thunder but I wanted to update HOW to get back to a working JB if you get errors or try to roll back to ICS (which we all know you shouldn't do). I have read many threads and tried so many variables to now have a perfect solution. This spawned from d4vr0s --> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...cked-after-reverting-jelly-bean-update-3.html

If this is a repeat in any way moderators, feel free to delete this or revise as necessary. I want to thank everyone who has done work on the JB project as I don't know them all...

Tested on Droid Razr XT912 US - Verizon. I used the following to update to JB - [Leaked-Ota][Cdma][4.1.2] Jelly Bean 98.72.8 (12/27/12) - xda-developers
All hell broke loose when I tried to re-root (with methods that WERE WARNED) and blew up/bricked/softbricked my razr.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

1. Have a copy of Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US on your external hard drive. Make sure it is a fresh/clean copy. Dev-Host - Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
2. Download MD5Checker here - MD5 Checker - CNET Download.com and make sure the hash = "c8772dc305d0de94d6e977fb51f3eac5"

FIX TIME - Phone running on battery only, no USB cable plugged in!

1. With a lovely FUBARed razr/maxx boot into Recovery mode
4. Select "apply update from external storage" and select "Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" (should take about 5 minutes)
5. Select "reboot system now" and hold both volume buttons to get back into Boot Mode Selection Menu (0A.77)
Where mine kept failing6. Select "Normal Powerup" (else it will get stuck in a failed AP Fastboot due to the boot.img not loading properly)

There you go, 18 hours in about 10 minutes of typing. If this helps one person that's all that matters. If anyone has issues regarding these steps AFTER TRYING, please let me know, and I will do my best to assist you.

Camo

OK, so this appears to be quite possibly a valuable solution for the soft-bricked JB phones out there. I certainly don't see such effort as stealing anyone's thunder. If it's helpful and was derived from your own efforts, or if you've compiled others' works and given proper credit to those others, then it's fine and deserves its own post.

Good job. Now we have to get others whose phones are soft-bricked to try these methods and give us positive feedback. Let's watch this and see where it goes!

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

OP
CamoMike

CamoMike

Reaction score
Just trying to help and share the love in the community...

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
I don't have a any sort of bricked RAZR. I have the jb update running fine on my phone but I never protected root. Do you think this would work for a phone that isn't bricked? I would do anything to have my root back lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edit: Sorry I read the top of this post wrong. Nevermind :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't have a any sort of bricked RAZR. I have the jb update running fine on my phone but I never protected root. Do you think this would work for a phone that isn't bricked? I would do anything to have my root back lol

Edit: Sorry I read the top of this post wrong. Nevermind :)

It's possible, but I am not brave enough to try it on my RAZR MAXX. I WOULD consider trying it on a cheap one from eBay, but I'd have to buy one first.

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
It's possible, but I am not brave enough to try it on my RAZR MAXX. I WOULD consider trying it on a cheap one from eBay, but I'd have to buy one first.

I have an s3 that doesn't work on Verizon cause it was flashed for cricket. Saturday I'm supposed to trade it for a rezound if that goes through I just might try and see what happens.

Although I thought this post was to go back to ICS that's. Got a little excited and didn't read it all lol

OP
CamoMike

CamoMike

Reaction score
I tried to get my head around how complicated Android can be. I have been in IT for 15 years and this is new to me so I am learning during all this chaos.

I will keep updating the OP as necessary, but for now, its complete.

OP
CamoMike

CamoMike

Reaction score

I sent you a message on google talk. Hit me up as I have a Razr MAXX also.

djnolo

Reaction score
All (NOT ROOT INSTRUCTIONS)

If this is a repeat in any way moderators, feel free to delete this or revise as necessary. I want to thank everyone who has done work on the JB project as I don't know them all...

Tested on Droid Razr XT912 US - Verizon. I used the following to update to JB - [Leaked-Ota][Cdma][4.1.2] Jelly Bean 98.72.8 (12/27/12) - xda-developers
All hell broke loose when I tried to re-root (with methods that WERE WARNED) and blew up/bricked/softbricked my razr.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

FIX TIME - Phone running on battery only, no USB cable plugged in!

1. With a lovely FUBARed razr/maxx boot into Recovery mode
4. Select "apply update from external storage" and select "Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" (should take about 5 minutes)
5. Select "reboot system now" and hold both volume buttons to get back into Boot Mode Selection Menu (0A.77)
Where mine kept failing
6. Select "Normal Powerup" (else it will get stuck in a failed AP Fastboot due to the boot.img not loading properly, AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Flash Failure))

The only pain (since boot gets corrupted) is that if you reboot your phone you have to go into recovery and select "normal powerup" every time.

There you go, 18 hours testing to about 10 minutes of typing. If this helps one person that's all that matters. If anyone has issues regarding these steps AFTER TRYING, please let me know, and I will do my best to assist you.

Camo

After following these steps is it possible to use Utility 1.82 to restore Root to .211 ICS 4.0.4 and also establish a normal working boot?

andrexx

Reaction score
A BIG "THANK YOU" TO YOU, CAMOMIKE!!!

I was soft-bricked after (stupidly/accidentally) restoring old system data with TiBU after the JB upgrade. Your post allowed me to regain control, get the phone to boot, and now I'm back up and running. I could not have done it without your post.

THANK YOU.

Andy

andrexx

Reaction score
After following these steps is it possible to use Utility 1.82 to restore Root to .211 ICS 4.0.4 and also establish a normal working boot?
After studying this matter in depth for my case, the answer to your question is a big, fat, "NO." CamoMike's "fix" retains/repairs the JB system. Attempting to revert back to .211 after performing the JB update is what (usually) causes a brick in the first place.

Andy

OP
CamoMike

CamoMike

Reaction score
A BIG "THANK YOU" TO YOU, CAMOMIKE!!!

I was soft-bricked after (stupidly/accidentally) restoring old system data with TiBU after the JB upgrade. Your post allowed me to regain control, get the phone to boot, and now I'm back up and running. I could not have done it without your post.

THANK YOU.

Andy

I am glad I was able to help someone. This makes me very happy.

Hat1324

Reaction score
Lol Camo, I stalked you all the way from d4v's thread and I ****** LOVE YOU. I think you're the only person on the internet to have managed to unbrick my phone haha.

I created this account just to kiss your shoes man.

OP
CamoMike

CamoMike

Reaction score
Lol Camo, I stalked you all the way from d4v's thread and I ****** LOVE YOU. I think you're the only person on the internet to have managed to unbrick my phone haha.

I created this account just to kiss your shoes man.

Thanks brah, but, I do things in life to help people. I appreciate the love and am glad I could have helped. Trust me, my shoes aren't meant to be kissed...

I also didn't do it myself. I did a lot of reading and used my 20 years of IT experience into forming a solution to my problem and shared it with the world. Everyone, from the developers, moderators, site admins should get the thanks as well. A little bit goes a long way.

I like the DF community and how it helps, not hinders people. We all do it out of the love of technology and to make it work better for us, not control us.

Camo:blink:

andrexx

Reaction score
Thought I'd issue an update:

After playing around a bit, I discovered that my sounds were still missing, and all phone activity was only through the speaker. (Even when on Bluetooth, the speakerphone was active in tandem?). I installed RAGE ROM by spc_hicks via Safestrap, and all functions are back to (better than) normal.

Andy