Swype is cool, but is it really faster?

rgn2000

Reaction score
swype to me is not natural. I want to type just like I do on a PC. Yes the keyboards on smartphones are smaller and nowheres near the same as a computer keyboard, but it is "natural" to work with a qwert keyboard and punch each key. I like the title to the thread, It is cool, but is it faster. To me no. I think a lot of people just like things that are cool and different. It is popular for sure, but you can't satisfy everyone. It is a simple as installing it and seeing if you like it. If you do then great and if you don't then don't use it.

zakany

Reaction score
In proper sentence structure there are 2 spaces after a period.

No, it isn't.

The only case where that would be correct would be with a monospaced font. When using a justified typeface (which is pretty much all you ever use, anymore), the standard is one space.

Your Droid isn't a typewriter.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
swype to me is not natural. I want to type just like I do on a PC. Yes the keyboards on smartphones are smaller and nowheres near the same as a computer keyboard, but it is "natural" to work with a qwert keyboard and punch each key. I like the title to the thread, It is cool, but is it faster. To me no. I think a lot of people just like things that are cool and different. It is popular for sure, but you can't satisfy everyone. It is a simple as installing it and seeing if you like it. If you do then great and if you don't then don't use it.

Well, no one can disagree with your last statement. But as someone who has been touch typing on keyboards for, jeez, almost 50 years, I can say that the last thing in the world I want is a phone input method that mimics a full size keyboard at 1/10th the size.

As I think I noted somewhere toward the beginning of this thread, I'm convinced that people can accommodate themselves to almost any input method given enough time, patience, and effort. And I'm not convinced that Swype is inherently faster than a "tap" keyboard. I've seen "thumbers" who can nearly keep up with me working on a full size keyboard. I'm simply amazed at their dexterity.

What I am convinced about is that the learning curve to become proficient with the Swype (or other "sliding" input methods) is far, far shorter than with a tap keyboard on a small device like a phone. And I'm also convinced that the frustration factor in the course of that learning curve is far less.

zakany

Reaction score
I use the hardware keyboard by sliding my finger across the keys and pressing the intended one when I get to it. I don't lift my finger. I don't know exactly how it fits into this conversation other than I'm probably benefiting from Swype-like movement with the physical keyboard.

Works for me.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I swype faster than poking at the virtual keyboard, BUT and I big BUT here when sype fuggs up my words and I have to go back and correct them because it choose the wrong word that is when I get peeved.

I do like the android pull out keyboard and use it for emails and things where I am typing more than a sentence.

when I type "SO" it almost always replaces it with "DO"
when I type "out" I get "put" etc etc

I tend to swype very fast as I know my way around the keyboard and it seems if I am slightly off it screws me up.

-=Jason=-

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I swype faster than poking at the virtual keyboard, BUT and I big BUT here when sype fuggs up my words and I have to go back and correct them because it choose the wrong word that is when I get peeved.

I do like the android pull out keyboard and use it for emails and things where I am typing more than a sentence.

when I type "SO" it almost always replaces it with "DO"
when I type "out" I get "put" etc etc

I tend to swype very fast as I know my way around the keyboard and it seems if I am slightly off it screws me up.

-=Jason=-

Having used several versions of Swype as well as Shapewriter and SlideIt my impression is that such errors in Swype tend to decrease with use. Whether that is because Swype is "learning" or my fingers are "learning" is unclear. But (and this is a completely subjective impression) it seems to me that when I moved from the leaked version to the first and then the second beta releases that the new version had to "relearn" each time, suggesting it's in the software as well as in my fingers.

Natedogg

Reaction score
Here's the thing. I've switched back and forth to swype several times. Now I'm sticking with it. Still, I have some gripes. First thde double tap to correct feature doesn't work in my vesion, I have to push the swype key... another click (gripe).

Also, so many errors pop up when I type. I use lots of slang. As the type tutorial said, I started doing all my corrections at the end. Still it seems live I have four to five mistakes per text. Too many imo

My question: can anyone reccomend tweaks to the speed v accuracy and error correction settings? I've tinkered w feww noticable results. Thanks!

chrisnoxid

Reaction score
My question: can anyone reccomend tweaks to the speed v accuracy and error correction settings? I've tinkered w feww noticable results. Thanks!

I've played with the settings but its still not optimal.. I doubt anyone can give a setting that will work for everyone though

strobez395

Reaction score
I can type a ton faster with keys....and that commercial is complete bs lmao.

Reaction score
for me, not only is swype not faster, its more work and an even bigger pain in the ass when a word doesnt come out how you want it. i think the commercial they show for the moment is ridiculous. looks like he was doing a hand workout just to type something on it. no thanks..i'll stick with the htc_ime and the physical keyboard.

trevntx

Reaction score
Swype is terrible. I get sick and tired of having to correct even the most common of words. Its just a hassle...

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Swype is terrible. I get sick and tired of having to correct even the most common of words. Its just a hassle...

I suspect you haven't used it enough. It's not a magic bullet that will immediately transform your input. That said, I'm not convinced that it is inherently faster than a tap keyboard, especially a good physical keyboard.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Input methods are going to be very subjective. Either you haven't given Swype enough time, as jsh1120 suggested or it's just not for you. There are, however, other options out there that you might want to check into.

Personally, Swype has made the virtual keyboards actually usable for me (coming from BB's with physical keyboards which I heavily relied on) and I'm very happy with it.

keithsmith22

Reaction score
I am a physical keyboard kind of guy and I personally use Swype over it all the time. It is so much easier and I get less errors as I would if I was typing. Of course, I have fat finger syndrome so that doesn't help.