Swype Paralysis?

billyk

Reaction score
Ok, it's the second time in a couple of days that this has happened. Figured I'd ask to see if any other Droid owner has noticed the same.

I use the Droid on/off all day - everything's fine/stable. I click on a text entry field, Swype pops up, but interestingly, not with initial caps, and as I swype, I get no "trace" and no response from the keyboard. I try the physical keyboard - fine. I go back to Swype, no response. I change keyboard input to Android Keyboard, and it also doesn't respond - I press one of the letter keys 10 times out of frustration, and a few seconds later, all of the letters buffered by the Android keyboard come flying out. I switch to Swype, and it works great.

I run very few apps. The only running apps are GTalk, Astrid and Swype at the time of paralysis.

Any ideas?

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
I don't know about all of the problems with swype but I use the stock keyboard and sometimes it doesn't start with uppercase for first letter either.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Yeah - not starting with caps on a bit of a pain, but it's really the total freezing up of text input that's got my attention!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, it's the second time in a couple of days that this has happened. Figured I'd ask to see if any other Droid owner has noticed the same.

I use the Droid on/off all day - everything's fine/stable. I click on a text entry field, Swype pops up, but interestingly, not with initial caps, and as I swype, I get no "trace" and no response from the keyboard. I try the physical keyboard - fine. I go back to Swype, no response. I change keyboard input to Android Keyboard, and it also doesn't respond - I press one of the letter keys 10 times out of frustration, and a few seconds later, all of the letters buffered by the Android keyboard come flying out. I switch to Swype, and it works great.

I run very few apps. The only running apps are GTalk, Astrid and Swype at the time of paralysis.

Any ideas?

I think if you look at your description you'll come to the same conclusion I did: the problem was with your o/s trying to deal with memory demands, not with Swype. Trying to diagnose such transitory problems is very difficult. If it happens repeatedly, there's a chance to determine the source. But think of your phone as a computer that makes phone calls. They hiccup sometimes.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score

Any ideas?

I think if you look at your description you'll come to the same conclusion I did: the problem was with your o/s trying to deal with memory demands, not with Swype. Trying to diagnose such transitory problems is very difficult. If it happens repeatedly, there's a chance to determine the source. But think of your phone as a computer that makes phone calls. They hiccup sometimes.

This was my suspicion as well, as the Droid seems to be totally occupied and eventually catches up. I just didn't know if it was specifically related to Swype.

liezl

Reaction score
this happens to me, except the keyboard never catches up.

here's a screencap of my keyboard just not working... notice the missing labeled keys at the bottom.

20100326-xsidg4sh4x4bm3p7ywxuph7899.jpg

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Excellent catch Liezl.

I've noticed the exact same thing, but neglected to mention it. Also, I've noticed that it ONLY happens when I am using Swype - I never get this type of non-response/lag initiated with any other app. Plus, I've waited for Swype to become responsive again, and it doesn't happen. When switching to the Android keyboard, it's hesitates for up to a minute, then it becomes responsive again.

I posted this as a potential bug over at the Swype users forum.

Last edited:

smiller136

Reaction score
me too!

Any ideas?

I am having the same problem using Handcent and swype. I usually get so frustrated that I have even removed the battery to see if that would help. It helps for part of a day and then it happens again. I am very relieved that I am not the only one with this issue. I wonder if there is an update with something that will fix it?

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
smiller136:
Same for me. I use Handcent and it happened in that app for me too. It also happened in AK Notepad - so the only constant here is Swype.

I also did a battery pull after each incident as well - didn't help.

There are times when you need to simply respond to a txt or jot down an idea right away. It's frustrating to have to spend 5 minutes getting everything sorted on the Droid to simply enter text.

If this is a persistent issue, I'll chuck Swype and go back to SlideIt.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Excellent catch Liezl.

I've noticed the exact same thing, but neglected to mention it. Also, I've noticed that it ONLY happens when I am using Swype - I never get this type of non-response/lag initiated with any other app. Plus, I've waited for Swype to become responsive again, and it doesn't happen. When switching to the Android keyboard, it's hesitates for up to a minute, then it becomes responsive again.

I posted this as a potential bug over at the Swype users forum.

+1 for the post on the Swype forum.
This not a reboot issue for me. I seldom reboot my phone. In the middle of the day it just stops working. Same symptoms. I switch keyboards and get nothing, then later it works. The whole benefit of saving time and ease of use with Swype has been negated by this bug. I'm now back to using the stock keyboard because when I want to type I want to type. The stock keyboard is not what I want though. I've been spoiled. hopefully they let us get a fix, whether in a paid version or not.

Brokn68

Reaction score
I haven't noticed this problem yet, but will keep an eye out for it.

REARless

Reaction score
Are you rooted? I had this problem once in a while when I was rooted with DroidMod.

[I had a panic a few days ago when my phone bricked. (It was a fried battery.) So I went back to stock to relieve my stress.]

I have not had the issue with a stock kernel.