****swype****

nerdkill

Reaction score
wow, this thing is amazing. just when i start getting bummed out on some things, something like this comes out and makes me so happy i switched from my iphone. the more i use the more i'm impressed. as far as the people that are trained typists, try not looking at the board and just use your knowledge of key placement. you'll be amazed at how accurate it is. you still have to proof read, but you should always do that anyways. it's the closest i've seen anything get to 10 digit typing on a small screen.

nerdkill

Reaction score
has anyone tried teaching a variable of the awful eff word? it just shuts down, censored? it's weird because it seems to have profanity already in its own memory. starting to drive me nuts

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
After a few days of using exclusively it I have switched back to the standard Android soft keyboard/Droid's hardware keyboard. I blame most on my issues on it being a very early build, and encountered quite a few beta bugs. However I think it is very promising and it is one of the few phone apps I would probably lay down 5 bucks for.

And that's precisely why you probably won't have the opportunity to purchase it. The one phone for which it's available at the moment is the Samsung Omnia II (WM) where it comes with every phone sold. And I STRONGLY suspect that Swype is getting at least $5 (if not more) for every Omnia II. And Samsung bears all the support and marketing costs.

So just why would Swype undertake the costs of marketing and support for an app in a marketplace where $5 is considered to be a major purchase that only a portion of users would be willing to pay?

I don't mean to flame your comment. Just pointing out that the widespread notion that apps for the Android platform can be given away or sold for less than a buck is extremely unrealistic when it comes to truly critical applications like Swype.

As a point of comparison, consider the SPB Mobile Shell for Windows Mobile phones. It's a very popular and multifunctional application that sells for $30. And that's because it's a professionally developed app that reflects a realistic business model.

Graffin

Reaction score
I to just downloaded it a couple days ago. I admit that i was a non believer but after using it for a couple of days, its friggin' awesome. (just wish it capitalized the first letter after a period)

I agree. This is the only real gripe I have with Swype at this point (mind you, I've only been using it for 2 days). I would prefer it to capitalize the first letter of each sentence by default instead of requiring the "swype above the keyboard method". I imagine that, more often than not, people want the first letter of their sentences capitalized.

I'm with both of you on this one. Drives me insane. Not quite insane enough to go back to the stock keyboard, but there are times that I consider it...

funken

Reaction score
has anyone tried teaching a variable of the awful eff word? it just shuts down, censored? it's weird because it seems to have profanity already in its own memory. starting to drive me nuts

You can add it to the dictionary by long pressing the word after you type it.

TBV

Reaction score
Downloaded it last night and have started to like it more and more as I use it...it seems to work better when in portrait mode rather than landscape? (shrugs shoulders)

If I had one 'gripe' I would like to easily shift from swype to traditional when I want to do so, as when the swype is in effect and I want to go traditional to ensure accuracy, the keyboard doesn't seem as responsive/accurate.

It definitely has a 'cool factor' to it though, as everyone I demo it to is somewhat amazed/impressed by it.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Actually this is a leaked version sent to private reviewers. Sholes.info took the download of it off their site and removed it from their ROM because of a legal request posted on their site.

I honestly don't think they would do anything to anyone (they don't even offer any way for a user to purchase it!) but droidforums should be fine since the content is hosted on an external site.

I honestly perfer the standard keyboard when in landscape mode. The problem is that its difficult to navigate the larger landscape keyboard with just one thumb (you can't reach everything without holding the phone with a single hand).

Works excellent for portrait mode though.

nerdkill

Reaction score

Actually you don't have to long press it with swype, just type it letter by letter. However, it won't let you type it. It just erases itself. Has anyone else tried this? I had to go back to regular keyboard, then put it into dictionary, then go back to swype and it works fine. It's really not a big deal, just wondering why that is.

meaker

Reaction score
I honestly perfer the standard keyboard when in landscape mode. The problem is that its difficult to navigate the larger landscape keyboard with just one thumb (you can't reach everything without holding the phone with a single hand).

Is there a way to set the swype to only be in portrait mode and standard in landscape? I also like the standard keyboard in landscape.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score

Is there a way to set the swype to only be in portrait mode and standard in landscape? I also like the standard keyboard in landscape.

not that I know of... The only way I know to switch them is to long press a text box and manually change between standard or swype.

Briankbl

Reaction score

Actually you don't have to long press it with swype, just type it letter by letter. However, it won't let you type it. It just erases itself. Has anyone else tried this? I had to go back to regular keyboard, then put it into dictionary, then go back to swype and it works fine. It's really not a big deal, just wondering why that is.

I added it to Swype's dictionary by typing the word letter-for-letter then pressing space. That's how I have been adding all my words/slang into Swype...working perfectly. You can even add your usernames this way. Normally if I were to try and spell "briankbl", Swype would be like "wtf is wrong with this guy" lol. But by adding it to the dictionary as done above, Swype recognizes it 100% of the time.

nerdkill

Reaction score

I added it to Swype's dictionary by typing the word letter-for-letter then pressing space. That's how I have been adding all my words/slang into Swype...working perfectly. You can even add your usernames this way. Normally if I were to try and spell "briankbl", Swype would be like "wtf is wrong with this guy" lol. But by adding it to the dictionary as done above, Swype recognizes it 100% of the time.

I have been able to add everything into the user dictionary that way using swype except for eff bombs. I was just asking if anyone knew why that is.

Briankbl

Reaction score

I have been able to add everything into the user dictionary that way using swype except for eff bombs. I was just asking if anyone knew why that is.

I don't know, that's how I added it lol

LrdElderon

Reaction score
where the hell can i find it? its not in the market place. I did a search, and it says there's no matches.
That's because it's a beta, and not in the Marketplace.

There are several threads on the forums about this subject. I point you to Swype on Moto Droid [Video]. It will tell you all you need to know.

Calling it a beta is a bit misleading. Its not a beta, its a pirated copy of a press review version that was leaked despite nda's according to the company itself. Though who knows perhaps the company leaked it on purpose, but then they have stated multiple times engage they have no intention of selling to end users.... only to OEM'S

So unless something changes the only way anyone its getting a final version is by buying a new phone with it preinstalled or hopefully a hacker can rip it off a phone that came with it for the rest of us to use.

That completely turned me against that company ill stick worth ShapeWriter for now until the company admits it made a bad business decision and sells on the google market