Swype is cool, but is it really faster?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
have you guys seen the swype commercial on the samsung phone? when i first started swyping, i was going really slow, and trying to be really accurate. but it just ended up taking longer than if i was using a stock keyboard. in the commercial, the dude just hauls arse and is all over the place, then at the end, he does all the corrections, instead of doing them as they happen. i've started doing this as well, and i seem to be faster than i was before...

Yes, that's a tip I picked up early on. On the other hand, doing the corrections does add to the overall time required (though it somehow feels like it's "free") so I'm not sure that the overall experience isn't very close to a good tapping method.

P.S. Don't get me wrong. I love Swype and use it frequently, especially for input of three or four lines of text. But with the new text-to-speech feature that's supported on the HTC (but not on Swype) I'm finding that it may be an overall superior solution.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just trying a simple test, if u can see the pattern and/or know your way around a keyboard good, swype is waay faster than the regular keyboard. it was for me anyway.

gszeman

Reaction score
I love it...works great for me, as I am 6' 10" with big hands...neither keyboard tends to work well for me, but with Swype, I rarely get errors, especially the more I use it.

nyijedi

Reaction score
Everyone owes it to themselves to at least TRY Swype, and I mean try it for a few days, not a few sentences. I first tried it about 2 months ago, HAAAATED it, and uninstalled it. I just reinstalled it last week, and after giving it an honest effort, I am now in love with it. There's a definite learning curve, but I really enjoy using it now (I just wish it had the text-to-speech integrated).

Reaction score
I have shapewriter which is similar to swype, but have a question. Is swype's auto-correction any better? The one on shapewriter is absolutely HORRIBLE! I get pissed because it is so bad. I like the quick texting, but no auto-correction might actually be a deal breaker for me soon.

Weapondrift

Reaction score
I have Swype on my TP I honestly cannot get used to it...especially when words that have the same letter get spaced out. For example if I type "Feel" it ends up looking like "Fe l" then I have to go back and correct.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you used the tutorial? You shouldn't be typing with Swype.

If you are Swyping words like "feel" and end up with "fe l" then you're probably lifting when looping over the "e". Swype inserts a space between words. It assumes you're starting a new word when you lift your finger.

Schimm

Reaction score
I'm trying Swiftkey now. Have used Swype for about a month. Yes it's fast but I end up correcting my words quite a bit, and often I'm not given the word I'm looking for as a choice. Perhaps I'm not patient or precise enough. And yes I've gone through the tutorial. Now I'm starting to warm up to the hard keyboard. It's a bit slower but I make less mistakes.

Weapondrift

Reaction score
Have you used the tutorial? You shouldn't be typing with Swype.

If you are Swyping words like "feel" and end up with "fe l" then you're probably lifting when looping over the "e". Swype inserts a space between words. It assumes you're starting a new word when you lift your finger.
thanks, no I havent used the tutorial because its missing that file from the .cab thats on my phone. I guess Im so used to using FingerKeyboard 2 for the TP

lterry913

Reaction score
there are vidoes of the tutorials on you tube...very helpful for caps and double letters ...saving words etc...the settings for swype( in your running apps) will let you adjust auto correct, auto caps, punctuation and word prediction speed etc...most user friendly keyboard I have ever used if set up properly...using with droid 2.1

Weapondrift

Reaction score
there are vidoes of the tutorials on you tube...very helpful for caps and double letters ...saving words etc...the settings for swype( in your running apps) will let you adjust auto correct, auto caps, punctuation and word prediction speed etc...most user friendly keyboard I have ever used if set up properly...using with droid 2.1
thanks, unfortunatly only time Im on youtube is at work...the problem with that is YT is blocked.