Stolen Droid, found, I have replacement + old phone

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a former VZW CS rep, here's what is what. You got a replacement phone from Asurion (and it is $90 for a replacement Android advanced device), the ESN from the phone that was lost is put on suspension. Since the phone was found, you must report this to Asurion. The phone ESN can not be reactivated, and if a VZW employee tells you they can, then they are not being up front. Bottom line, report it to Asurion, because really you're now dealing with property of Asurion (the lost phone that is now found).

I would have to disagree with Verizon not being able to reactivate it. Maybe their policy has changed since you were there but I had a phone stolen not too long ago and had it suspended. It found its way back to me thanks to Mobile Defense and I took it to the local Verizon store and they were able to re activate the service to it without any problem at all. They even showed me how to do this online via the My Verizon page. Customers can log on and suspend a phone if it is stolen/ lost/ etc and then if it is found simply click a button to reactivate the service.
No, policy hasn't changed. You lost your phone, had it suspended, found the phone and was reactivated, that's still the same. The original poster got an insurance replacement phone from Asurion, which is now active, but the "stolen" phone that is now found is still hotlined and needs to go back to Asurion. That's the point I was trying to make. At this time, it's actually stolen property.

inmate369

Reaction score
As a former VZW CS rep, here's what is what. You got a replacement phone from Asurion (and it is $90 for a replacement Android advanced device), the ESN from the phone that was lost is put on suspension. Since the phone was found, you must report this to Asurion. The phone ESN can not be reactivated, and if a VZW employee tells you they can, then they are not being up front. Bottom line, report it to Asurion, because really you're now dealing with property of Asurion (the lost phone that is now found).

I would have to disagree with Verizon not being able to reactivate it. Maybe their policy has changed since you were there but I had a phone stolen not too long ago and had it suspended. It found its way back to me thanks to Mobile Defense and I took it to the local Verizon store and they were able to re activate the service to it without any problem at all. They even showed me how to do this online via the My Verizon page. Customers can log on and suspend a phone if it is stolen/ lost/ etc and then if it is found simply click a button to reactivate the service.
No, policy hasn't changed. You lost your phone, had it suspended, found the phone and was reactivated, that's still the same. The original poster got an insurance replacement phone from Asurion, which is now active, but the "stolen" phone that is now found is still hotlined and needs to go back to Asurion. That's the point I was trying to make. At this time, it's actually stolen property.

Lets just say he keep both pones for himself would he be able to use the "stolen" phone as a mp3 player and also use it on wifi but not as a phone ?
i.e. load roms ,test things.

zero7starz

Reaction score
To test activation, try dialing *228 option one. It will ask you to put in a mobile phone number, last four of the social, plus possibly an account password. If the phone activates, its a good ESN if it fails, then its locked. Either way, its still probably better to contact Asurion about it.