Steinheil vs Zagg

bkwrm998

Reaction score
I'm about to get my droid X, and am looking at screen protectors for it. What have you guys found you liked better, the Zaggs or Steinheils. I've been reading that the Zaggs have a bit more of the orange peel effect, which I am very much not cool with. But do the Steinheils have pretty good protection? And if you prefer Steiheil, what are pros/cons for ultra crystal vs anti-fingerprint?

Thanks!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I got whatever the local vzw store had and love it (actually my mom did when she got our phones so I don't know the brand). They all do the same thing anyways and they're pretty cheap so id go for both and try em out.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

Beefloafian

Reaction score
I got two of the Crystals when I got my original droid and loved it on the phone, nice and smooth and you can just tell it's nice and hard. As long as you don't mind fingerprints I'd say the crystal, the orange peel effect turns me off of the zagg. I've heard good things about the anti fingerprint, but I preferred better protection.

That said. I saw the light and went naked :D I'v had no screen protector for about 6 months and not one scratch. the body of the phone has scratches, sure, but that screen is just as clear and shiny as ever!

Reaction score
The Zagg's dont have the orange peel effect if they are installed properly.

The major issue with Zagg is that Verizon wont honor warranty for your phone if they find out you had a "wet" solution protector on. Sad thing is if you go to Verizons site or into their store they sell the Zagg products.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a matter of personal preference. Go with what you prefer. Polling is pointless unless you're just looking to fit in with the crowd. I personally prefer the Steinheil crystal because it's as close to bare glass in feel IMO. The IS is slightly tacky. YMMV depending on your priorities.

And if you prefer Steiheil, what are pros/cons for ultra crystal vs anti-fingerprint?
Ultra crystal does nothing for smudge prevention. Anti fingerprint slightly distorts the image.

SGP does offer oleophobic screen protectors for some devices. If that's an option, I'd highly recommend it. Their oleophobic screen protectors do help with smudge prevention but don't distort as badly as their anti fingerprint screen protectors.

The major issue with Zagg is that Verizon wont honor warranty for your phone if they find out you had a "wet" solution protector on.
It's simple enough to remove the IS if you need warranty support.

That said. I saw the light and went naked :D I'v had no screen protector for about 6 months and not one scratch. the body of the phone has scratches, sure, but that screen is just as clear and shiny as ever!
It's just a matter of playing the odds. The screen isn't unscratchable. I can't stand any scratch at all and not using a screen protector isn't worth it IMO. Obviously, YMMV.

Last edited:

Kack

Reaction score
i got the ultra crystal last night. i was worried because i like the smoothness of my thunderbolt screen. but put it on and it feels the same . i can def say it feels better than the zagg protectors that i had on my d1 d2 and dx.

Detonation

Reaction score
Go with Steinheil. Feels like glass and protects just fine. You will regret the rubber/tacky feel of the Zagg.