Steinheil Crystal

dieselpowered

Reaction score
I had this same screen protector, went on perfect, and everything was going great...unfortunately, I found that it scratched way too easily and eventually ended up looking like crap. I have since went back to the Invisible Shield.
I'm surprised to hear this actually. I was under the impression that Steinheil was better quality than Invisible Shield :mellow:.
Truthfully the quality of the protector was great...perfect fit, just scratched too easily.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a pack today from the SGP website. I've been a Zagg guy forever, but I wanted to try something else out for once.

Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences and tips.

-Mike

demon69120

Reaction score
Anyone try the SGP Shield for $25 with the Steinheil Crystal as well as full body?

NickM

Reaction score
My household just installed 3 Steinheil Crystal protectors -- one incorrectly, and then the next two correctly. The instructions I read, both on the packaging and online, even now seem too vague, so let me try to clarify, both for those who plan to install them in the future and for those who may be unhappy with their current installations.

First, although Steinheil doesn't disclose this, it's true that two protectors come with each pack. Each Steinheil protector comes out of the package with three layers -- the protective film that actually goes against your screen is sandwiched between two vinyl protective layers. After finishing cleaning your LCD with the microfiber, peel off about 1/3 of the protective layer
to which the wider green sticker (with the arrow) is attached: the side of the film attached to that vinyl layer goes against the screen of the Droid. Then, proceed with the instructions. The second protective layer (to which the skinnier yellow sticker with the "2" is attached) will take the beating of the squeegee as you try to iron out bubbles. When you are happy with the job you have done, remove the second protective layer. One we figured this out, the installation of the next two protectors went much more smoothly and successfully.

droidster22

Reaction score
My household just installed 3 Steinheil Crystal protectors -- one incorrectly, and then the next two correctly. The instructions I read, both on the packaging and online, even now seem too vague, so let me try to clarify, both for those who plan to install them in the future and for those who may be unhappy with their current installations.

First, although Steinheil doesn't disclose this, it's true that two protectors come with each pack. Each Steinheil protector comes out of the package with three layers -- the protective film that actually goes against your screen is sandwiched between two vinyl protective layers. After finishing cleaning your LCD with the microfiber, peel off about 1/3 of the protective layer
to which the wider green sticker (with the arrow) is attached: the side of the film attached to that vinyl layer goes against the screen of the Droid. Then, proceed with the instructions. The second protective layer (to which the skinnier yellow sticker with the "2" is attached) will take the beating of the squeegee as you try to iron out bubbles. When you are happy with the job you have done, remove the second protective layer. One we figured this out, the installation of the next two protectors went much more smoothly and successfully.

yes i have also screwed up installing my first film because the instructions were not so clear and ended up with lots of bubbles. But after reading from this thread, i now have my 2nd film on perfectly. Basically the film consists of 3 layers. The middle layer one is the one that goes on the phone. The blue layer is not the side that goes on the phone, the opposite side is... yea I can't even explain it myself haha..

MJ5150

Reaction score
HOT DIGGITY! These are suh-WEET!

I just put one on for the first time. No steamy shower, no special precautions. Just a through wiping with the provided cloth and on it went without a single hassle. It looks like glass and feels smoother to me now. This is amazingly awesome.

I thought no one could outdo the IS from Zagg. I was wrong. The Steinheil Crystal is the real deal. They could easily charge $20 for one of these and I would have paid that for it.

-Mike

MJ5150

Reaction score
Oh....here is my tip for those who come after me looking for advice on applying this cover.....when looking at the Droid screen, the little circle to the right and just above the MOTOROLA, is NOT an air bubble. It is a sensor. I'm not talking about the LED light, just to the left of that.

I almost rubbed my screen into oblivion trying to get that one last air bubble out. :D

-Mike

ldimick

Reaction score
I just got my pair of anti-fingerprint and I am amazed! My Zagg was put on nearly perfectly. This things IS perfect! Great transparency and without a doubt the best shield I have ever used on any device.

I remember the days we used to go to Joann Fabric and buy clear, thin shower curtains to make our own for the Palm III and Palm V. We have come a long ways and it is good!

Gage2502

Reaction score
Steinheil is definitely top notch stuff. I really like the feel of the anit-fingerprint film too.
~Gage~

MJ5150

Reaction score
FYI......the Steinheil Crystal is NOT scratch resistant. I just got two scratches in mine as it slid across a counter face down. I'm afraid to take it off and check the actual screen.

-Mike

Geofferson

Reaction score
FYI......the Steinheil Crystal is NOT scratch resistant. I just got two scratches in mine as it slid across a counter face down. I'm afraid to take it off and check the actual screen.

-Mike
Do you know what caused the scratches? The Droid glass is pretty resistant...

mitchb2

Reaction score
I just received my Crystals today. I'm a little concerned about installing it. I have shaky hands because of some ulnar nerve issues.

I've read this whole thread and hopefully the tips here will make it go easier.

billyk

Reaction score
I love the Steinheil Chrystal protector. I've had it on my Droid since Feburary or so. It's far better IMO than the Zagg product - by a significant margin.

But, the Steinheil is not scratchproof. Mine has a few minor scratches in it even though I totally baby my Droid and I am considering putting the second film on soon. Good to know that the Steinheil took the bullet with those minor scratches and not the Droid.

jbg

Reaction score
I had a Steinheil protector on my Incredible for over a year. I was in the Verizon store the other day having the sales guy do a factory reset on my phone. Then he tried selling me accessories. I told him I didn't think I needed anything that I didn't already have. He said we have screen protectors on sale it looks like you don't have one. This was after he had been working on for phone for about 10 minutes. My reply was that I already had one on it. On closer inspection his reply was "oh yeah I guess you do." I think that says a lot for the quality of this product. He couldn't even tell I had one on the phone. My only disappointment is I don't think they have one for my Bionic yet.