Steinheil Screen Protector Differences

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I've seen the brand Steinheil mentioned in this forum several times and would like to try it out. I currently have a Skinomi, and after a few weeks, it's giving me the orange peel effect. I used to use Zagg, but don't like that rubbery feeling. I'd like to try the Steinheil, but I see they have several types and I wanna know if any of you know the difference between them. I'd like the one that is the least intrusive; i.e., the one that is least noticeable. The Skinomi was great because once on, you couldn't tell anything was on, but after a few weeks of living in my purse, the protector has some dimples in it.

PS: I'd like responses on Steinheil specifically; I'm not interested in letting my Bionic screen go naked. Thanks! :biggrin:

jhom

Reaction score
I don't know about the other versions, but I have the Ultra Crystal. Once installed properly, the only noticeable difference between naked and protected are the cutouts for the camera, mic, and LED/proximity sensor. I cannot tell the difference in feel or optical quality between naked and protected. It is a great product and is easily installed if you follow the instructions. :)

Christobal

Reaction score
I went with the "anti-oil" version and have been very happy. At first, there was a coating that seemed to keep fingerprints to a minimum. After over a month of use, that seems to have worn off a bit, but the screen still feels and looks nice. It also gives me confidence to put it in my pocket without much worry. Will definatly buy again when needed, but may not spend the extra buck or two on the "anti-oil" version.

DroidAxiom

Reaction score
I've ordered the ultra crystal myself and I'm hoping it installs easily. I initially got.the ones at the Verizon store, but I botched up all three when attempting to apply them.

Then, I went with zag and it's still on while my steinheils arrive.

My only concern with the steinheils is That they're dry application and those are harder for me to apply with out bubbles.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I've ordered the ultra crystal myself and I'm hoping it installs easily. I initially got.the ones at the Verizon store, but I botched up all three when attempting to apply them.

Then, I went with zag and it's still on while my steinheils arrive.

My only concern with the steinheils is That they're dry application and those are harder for me to apply with out bubbles.

I hear ya; I've only done wet applications. I just got mine in today and messed up BOTH of them. The first went on all wrong, so I tried the second one. I lined it up correctly, but got a little dust speck in there that wouldn't come off. So now that's all I can look at when I look at my screen. :( I'll order another set.

DroidAxiom

Reaction score
I hear ya; I've only done wet applications. I just got mine in today and messed up BOTH of them. The first went on all wrong, so I tried the second one. I lined it up correctly, but got a little dust speck in there that wouldn't come off. So now that's all I can look at when I look at my screen. :( I'll order another set.

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm pretty much laid back with everything in life, but when it comes to bubbles on a screen, I have the worst case of OCD.

When my steinheils arrived yesterday, I attempted to do one of the two that it came with. I did manage to apply with no fibers or dust, but the sides will not stick. I tried to go through today with them there, but it's driving me nuts.

I did however, run into the following link today and I will see if I can salvage the protector before I take another crack with the second one.

Interesting Discovery Applying Steinheil Crystal Clear Screen Protector

I wanted to add that, despite the bubbles, the steinheils do feel much better....now if only those blasted bubbles will go away.

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Yes, I know what you mean. I'm pretty much laid back with everything in life, but when it comes to bubbles on a screen, I have the worst case of OCD.

When my steinheils arrived yesterday, I attempted to do one of the two that it came with. I did manage to apply with no fibers or dust, but the sides will not stick. I tried to go through today with them there, but it's driving me nuts.

I did however, run into the following link today and I will see if I can salvage the protector before I take another crack with the second one.

Interesting Discovery Applying Steinheil Crystal Clear Screen Protector

I wanted to add that, despite the bubbles, the steinheils do feel much better....now if only those blasted bubbles will go away.

Thanks for the link! I'm gonna try that method when my new ones come in. You're right; I love the way they look and feel. So far they seem to be the best protector I've used... Now I just need to make sure I don't mess up the next ones.

jhom

Reaction score

There is no need to order another set. Just wash them with some dishwasher detergent and dry with a paper towel. My advice to applying the screen protector is as follows:

1. wash your hands with soap and water to remove any skin oils
2. clean off the screen with the micro fiber cloth
3. carefully align the top and one side of the protector
4. slowly apply the protector onto the screen

To reduce dust, I usually apply my protectors in the bathroom after taking a shower. The moisture in the air reduces dust. If you get a dust particle on the screen, just lift it with some tape and remove the dust with another piece of tape.

Good luck.

Reaction score
The nice thing about this type of protector is that it's reusable. As jhom said, just use a piece of scotch tape to remove the dust. Good as new.

dmacarth

Reaction score
I always get a speck of dust or two. If not too big the protector eventually settles over them. In about four days you can't see them.

DroidAxiom

Reaction score
And what would you do if there are no specs, but the edges wont stay down?

I've reapplied several times last night and the same thing happens everytime. I'm starting to think that these are supposed to be like that and l'm never going to get the perfect application.

On a different note, the tape trick worked without a hitch! :)

bgs_piece

Reaction score
They come with their own stickers to get the dust off and those work much better than tape.

916A2

Reaction score
I use XtremeGuard, its perfection!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

bgs_piece

Reaction score
I use XtremeGuard, its perfection!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Apparently you forgot to read the OP; replies specific to the Steinheil were requested. Last time I checked, XtremeGuard and Steinheil were not the same thing.