SPRecovery Question

JayrodEF

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm just getting into seeing what my droid can do and I've done the following so far:

I manually updated to Froyo (FRG01B) a while ago.
I've rooted the phone using EasyRoot
I've downloaded ROM Manager (free version)
I've flashed the "ClockworkMod Recovery"

My questions now are these:

I now have the option in ROM Manager under 'Flash Alternate Recovery' of 'SPRecovery 0.99.3b'. From what I've read, SPRecovery seems to be the preferred method of doing things. Is this an acceptable method of flashing SPRecovery (Via ROM Manager) or is it prefered to download and then use RSDLite? If so, does someone have a download link for SPRecovery that would work for FRG01B?

If I install SPRecovery, does that inlcude everything I need to make a backup of my current ROM? And just for verification purposes, if I back up my current ROM, I can restore EVERYTHING to the phone's current state if something goes wrong?

I guess that will do it for now, I basically need to know if SPRecovery 0.99.3b will work for my Rooted FRG01B and if flashing it from ROM Manager is ok, thanks!

xliderider

Reaction score
Flashing SPRecovery from ROM Manager is the same as if you were to get it using RSD Lite.

When I was rooted, I made backups using both SPRecovery and CW Mod Recovery. Reason is the backups don't work with each other, so if you only have backups made with CW Recovery and you get in trouble while in SP Recovery, you can't do a restore using SPRecovery nandroid files.

Yes, both backups will restore all data and settings in your rom.

FYI, flahsing between recoveries is sometimes buggy in CW Mod/Rom Manager, so I advise you to flash 2 or 3x just to be sure it "takes", or you won't be able to boot into recovery sometimes.

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
Great, thanks for your clarification, I was just a bit nervous to flash from the ROM Manager. But, it appears it's worked fine and I've booted into SPRecovery fine and performed a Standard Backup of my current setup. I'm assuming the standard backup includes everything I would need to restore completely.

I actually clicked on standard restore after the backup, I assumed it would have confirmation or something, but it seemed to restore my backed up image nicely.

At this point, I should be able to install different ROMs and if something goes wrong, I can restore this backup correct?

I've actually copied off the backup folder onto my computer for additional safe keeping. I'm assuming if needed, I can just copy folder back into the nandroid directory and boot into SPRecovery to restore it. Does SPRecovery give the option of what image to restore if there are multiple folders in the nandroid directory?

Thanks for your help as I try to get more aquainted with these processes.

EbE404

Reaction score
Great, thanks for your clarification, I was just a bit nervous to flash from the ROM Manager. But, it appears it's worked fine and I've booted into SPRecovery fine and performed a Standard Backup of my current setup. I'm assuming the standard backup includes everything I would need to restore completely.

I actually clicked on standard restore after the backup, I assumed it would have confirmation or something, but it seemed to restore my backed up image nicely.

At this point, I should be able to install different ROMs and if something goes wrong, I can restore this backup correct?

I've actually copied off the backup folder onto my computer for additional safe keeping. I'm assuming if needed, I can just copy folder back into the nandroid directory and boot into SPRecovery to restore it. Does SPRecovery give the option of what image to restore if there are multiple folders in the nandroid directory?

Thanks for your help as I try to get more aquainted with these processes.

The answers to all you questions here are "yes". Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things, actually ;)

Venture into the Custom ROMs section of this forum for specifics on each of them and some more advanced help if you need it, as well as some must-have apps and methods (such as SetCPU, Titanium, etc.)

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I started playing around with things again this morning and the first time I booted into recovery, it was the stock recovery, not SPrecovery. Is the 'flashing' of SPRecovery not persistant? I would've thought once you flash it, it 'sticks'. I flashed it again via ROM manager and booted into SPrecovery, then rebooter again and it was back to stock. Am I doing something wrong or is a custom recovery something that must be flashed each time?

EbE404

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I started playing around with things again this morning and the first time I booted into recovery, it was the stock recovery, not SPrecovery. Is the 'flashing' of SPRecovery not persistant? I would've thought once you flash it, it 'sticks'. I flashed it again via ROM manager and booted into SPrecovery, then rebooter again and it was back to stock. Am I doing something wrong or is a custom recovery something that must be flashed each time?

Hmm, this is odd, and I'm not sure I can be of a lot of help, but here's some input.

I rooted by using RSD to flash SPRecovery, then flashed a rooted ROM, so I'm not sure how the Easy Root method actually works. I can tell you that the recovery should be persistent, so your issue sounds very strange.

Folks have reported issues using ROM Manager to flash a recovery, then not being able to boot into recovery at all. This is fixed by using ROM Manager to flash SP, then CW, then SP again, and that seems to sort it, so you might want to try that.

You might also want to try posting you issue in this forum:

Koush - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

That's where the dev lives, and there may be others who can help with some comments.

Good luck, and if you find a solution or cause, please let the community know.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's what I've found about using Rom Manager to flash Sprecovery: You have to continue flashing it over and over until you get the "successful install" pop-up really quickly. If it takes more than 5-6 seconds for that pop-up to show, then the install did not go well. I've tested this over and over on my phone and it absolutely holds true (YMMV!!).

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
I ended up trying to flash back and forth between Clockword and SPrecovery several times, then did a bunch of just SPRecovery until it was very quick to flash the success notice. The first reboot always works great, but then if I reboot from SPRecovery, let it go till everything's up, then power down and boot into recovery again, I'm back to stock recovery. I'm not opposed at all to flashing with RSDlite, I just need to find the 0.99.3b image of sbf file that I'd need to use. I think that may have better success. Thanks.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google SpRecovery and/or Sirpsycho. You can also load it via Terminal Emulator:

Update Sprecovery

Open one of the available Terminal Emulators and type the following:

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img

reboot recovery

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess my phone just really doesn't want me to have SPRecovery. I downloaded terminal emulatar and all that and did the flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img and it rebooted into SPRecovery great. Then I rebooted, powered off, then tried to get back into SPRecovery and was back to stock. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I'm holding "x" and the power button until I see the white "M" then letting go of the power button. Is there a different method to get into SPRecovery?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess my phone just really doesn't want me to have SPRecovery. I downloaded terminal emulatar and all that and did the flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img and it rebooted into SPRecovery great. Then I rebooted, powered off, then tried to get back into SPRecovery and was back to stock. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I'm holding "x" and the power button until I see the white "M" then letting go of the power button. Is there a different method to get into SPRecovery?

As I was reading this post I was thinking to myself, "I bet he isn't doing the reboot into recovery correctly". But then you answered that question before I even asked it. Yes, hold the X on the physical keyboard down and then press and hold the power button. As you stated, you can release the power button when the M appears but continue to hold the X. This is so strange. I've been reading this and other forums on Android and the Droid for 10 months and have never heard of an issue like this.

Anyway if you decide to switch to Clockwork at least use the 2.0.1.3 version as it is much more stable than the current version.

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
Huh, that's not too comforting :). Well, I guess I can try to the last method of using RSDlite. Is there a way to use the recovery-0.99.3b.img file for that or do I need a sbf file for it?

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up on the version. This is really starting to frustrate me. I flashed the 2.0.1.3 version, booted into it fine first time. Second reboot, back to stock. :icon_evil:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would reinstall the rom. P3Droid and several others have come out with a plain vanilla, rooted version of the OTA from the past few days. I would grab one of those and reinstall. That has to be what's causing this. Something in your current rom is deleting the recovery files on reboot.

Good luck.