clockworkmod REPLACED my sprecovery? God, help.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I'm with Martin, I'd stay as far away from ROM Manager as possible. I just see way to many people having issues with it.

99% is user error. people start pushing buttons not knowing how it works and then they have problems.

Everyone of us that loves rom manager probably borked our phone learning rom manager and clockwork recovery. It's a superior system if used correctly.

As for the sbf files, which someone else mentioned: every sbf file I have used has some sort of recovery, whether it be stock or otherwise.... Who would package that file without a recovery? Sbf isn't any more deadly than a custom rom.... As long as you pay attention to what you are doing, you should be fine.

Nonsense and propaganda, before we know it someone will think the phone can carry a cold and pass that info along as truth.... Then half the forum will think the same, all because they read it on the internet.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
I'm with Martin, I'd stay as far away from ROM Manager as possible. I just see way to many people having issues with it.

99% is user error. people start pushing buttons not knowing how it works and then they have problems.

Everyone of us that loves rom manager probably borked our phone learning rom manager and clockwork recovery. It's a superior system if used correctly.

As for the sbf files, which someone else mentioned: every sbf file I have used has some sort of recovery, whether it be stock or otherwise.... Who would package that file without a recovery? Sbf isn't any more deadly than a custom rom.... As long as you pay attention to what you are doing, you should be fine.

Nonsense and propaganda, before we know it someone will think the phone can carry a cold and pass that info along as truth.... Then half the forum will think the same, all because they read it on the internet.

+1 to Nerdbox08

ewells2420

Reaction score
I know when I first used rom manager/clockwork to flash a rom I forgot to select install google apps too. I was having a hell of a time figuring that one out. Finally fixed it though.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
FWIW, I've used ROM manager extensively. I never bought the Premium version and was able to flash between Clockwork Mod and SPRecovery time and time and time again. Never once did my backups "disappear" or ever become unavailable in any way. Sounds like operator error to me, no offense.

Briankbl

Reaction score
well i tried again because i noticed trend with people saying retrying stuff and then it works

it works

thanks guys, you saved me

This is the best community on the internet. FACT! Good job everybody and Congrats to the OP!

Mikejl

Reaction score
I just read this thread for the first time. The scariest part of this was the initial advice given to Xenoroyal. I notice that some of the biggest opposer's of RM gave out some really bad advice.

Thank goodness cooler heads got in there in time and prevailed. This was an easy fix and at no time did RM delete his data.

Mike

eliassami5

Reaction score
Dunno why ppl have problems with ROM manager..ive found it to be nothing but easy and flawless. Its a great program and anybody bashing it probably doesn't know how to use it.

brock

Reaction score
im sorry, did a moderator just suggest a sbf? and then another moderator telling people to stay away from clockwork? what kind of people do you have running these boards?

also, clockwork will not uninstall your nandroid backups. this is obviously user error.

Phoenixwind

Reaction score
Exactly what I encountered. And the reason I stay far away from Clockwork and ROM Manager.

Only fix I found.... .sbf flash. A total wipe of your phone.

However, if you look in the rescue squad section of the forums.... They do have instructions on how to manually push SPRecovery back onto your phone.
That would be my suggestion to you. The RS can work wonders here on DF :)

Um...what? That was pretty amusing and scary at the same time, there's absolutely zero point in an sbf flash. Clockwork recovery does everything that SPRecovery does and it's integrated into Rom Manager, making it by far the easiest way to backup/restore/flash roms, no need for the 'update.zip' crap of SPrecovery.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
im sorry, did a moderator just suggest a sbf? and then another moderator telling people to stay away from clockwork? what kind of people do you have running these boards?

also, clockwork will not uninstall your nandroid backups. this is obviously user error.
Lets see, if you have 10 people you're going to have 10 different answers. Some mods have stock phones, some have rooted phones, some use ROM Manager, some use SPRecovery. I didn't realize as a moderator group we have to all like the same thing, do we? I have both, I bought ROM Manager back when a certain ROM was supported because I thought CW would be easier to use. Now that ROM dev is gone but they keep putting his ROM on there. I've used both personally and find SPRecovery to be better for my use.

Mikejl

Reaction score

Lets see, if you have 10 people you're going to have 10 different answers. Some mods have stock phones, some have rooted phones, some use ROM Manager, some use SPRecovery. I didn't realize as a moderator group we have to all like the same thing, do we? I have both, I bought ROM Manager back when a certain ROM was supported because I thought CW would be easier to use. Now that ROM dev is gone but they keep putting his ROM on there. I've used both personally and find SPRecovery to be better for my use.

Your statements are true enough. No one has to like every application. But if you (not you personally) are going to spread dislike for an application, I would like to see facts and not anecdotal information. ROM Manager has had intermittent problems that could be solved easily with a little training instead of scare tactics.

You have to remember when a MOD warns you away from something on a forum, it carries a lot more weight than if I were to give the warning.

I bought ROM Manager for the same reason you did. I also uninstalled for the same reason you did. I remember all the MOD here that were fond of that dev and his ROM's. I went back to ROM Manager when I started playing with all the other ROMs on DF and stayed with it pretty much since. I don't have issues with it, because it is a sound app. Hate can't change that.

Mike

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dunno why ppl have problems with ROM manager..ive found it to be nothing but easy and flawless. Its a great program and anybody bashing it probably doesn't know how to use it.
Nope. I fully understaind the application, and I hate it. Why should I deal with faulty installs and a missing recovery?

Your statements are true enough. No one has to like every application. But if you (not you personally) are going to spread dislike for an application, I would like to see facts and not anecdotal information. ROM Manager has had intermittent problems that could be solved easily with a little training instead of scare tactics.

You have to remember when a MOD warns you away from something on a forum, it carries a lot more weight than if I were to give the warning.

I bought ROM Manager for the same reason you did. I also uninstalled for the same reason you did. I remember all the MOD here that were fond of that dev and his ROM's. I went back to ROM Manager when I started playing with all the other ROMs on DF and stayed with it pretty much since. I don't have issues with it, because it is a sound app. Hate can't change that.

Mike
Mods are people too. They have likes and dislikes. A lot of the mods were just regular forumites before they got their position. They have a right to express their opinions. Also, don't you think it gets annoying to them see people post thread after thread, and their problem over half the time goes back to ROM Manager?

Sorry, but ROM Manager brings ROMs to the average person, which causes more problems than it's worth.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike
Fair enough. I am expressing personal feelings about ROM Manager. I've had problems and issues with it and it wasn't user error. I remain neutral on some topics, but when it comes to likes and dislikes about a program, I will tell you how I feel.