SPB 3D Shell on Droid 2 running Liberty 2.0

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share with you guys what SPB 3D Shell looks like running on a Droid 2. I am running Liberty 2.0 (early release) and shot this using the screencast function of Shootme. Sorry it isn't great quality....the video makes it look like it doesn't run very fluid or smooth but I assure you it does. If I find a better screencast app I will make another one.

Perks to SPB 3D Shell.....I am running 9 homescreens.....they are unlimited in here....and it is smooth as a whistle. Very nice to use and see. Fast as can be. I dare say LPP doesn't even compete....I don't move very fast in the video (probably why it looks bad) but I wanted you to be able to see everything clearly....you can manage apps in drawer or from hitting menu at the homescreen. It indicates apps that are placed on your homescreen

Downfalls....it took a long time....like a whole minute for the very first initial launch. I thought it wasn't going to launch. Also....the only time I rebooted my phone it took a while for my wallpaper to load.

Do I think it's worth $15.....I don't know....let me say this....this app is sick. Beautiful as I have ever seen. And as stated it is FAST. Once you get acquainted it is amazing at times...but the auto arranging of apps is a little anoying....meaning it starts at the top and works left to right...then down a row...rinse and repeat.

But holy %$#@ is it nice and again....fast. My i4 buddy swung by for a few after I had finished setting it all up and was almost drooling when using it....he kept saying...."whoa" and "wtf is this?" and "wow"....that was all in like 10 minutes before I ripped my phone out of his hands.

As for battery life....I notice no significant drain due to this app. I think there are things I miss from LPP but I can't remember any of them right now ;) and once I mix my Elixer icon sets into the mix this is going to be insane.

Oh....and I apologize but there is no sound ATM. I will add a soundtrack or something when I get home.

Special thanks to "Andy"....without you none of this would be possible ;)dancedroid

[video=youtube;8fkFA4iNqJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkFA4iNqJM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited:
OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Trust me it is a lot better in person than this video. But I am noticing that it starts very slow when you reboot your phone. Launcher Pro was MUCH faster at starting and I had lag with that as well. I know both apps display the lag when they are loading all the apps that you have installed to the SDCARD. Seems they choke until they are all loaded. LPP still does a better job at it then this....but once loaded there is no comparison.

Reaction score
Droid X rules

Sent from my DROIDX

ok....well this on a Droid 2

Off topic, lol. I personally think droid 2 > droid x. Don't flame me. The keyboard was just such a major issue for me, I absolutely hate touch screen typing, its so slow compared to a physical keyboard, and I have a feeling I can most likely type faster than the majority of people when it comes to touch screen vs physical keyboard.

Ill look up a keyboard words per minute typing app and post a screenshot. I'm kind of off topic now

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

jovapa

Reaction score
*gollum* we wantsss it */gollum*

$15 is seriously steep though... even as slick as that looks...

roboots21

Reaction score
Trust me it is a lot better in person than this video. But I am noticing that it starts very slow when you reboot your phone. Launcher Pro was MUCH faster at starting and I had lag with that as well. I know both apps display the lag when they are loading all the apps that you have installed to the SDCARD. Seems they choke until they are all loaded. LPP still does a better job at it then this....but once loaded there is no comparison.

As for the apps seeming to load slow from the SD Card, try this out ..

[Script][CWM] SD Card reading speed fix - xda-developers

I flashed the file to increase this to 2048 on my phone, and it made a huge difference in SD Card speeds, especially seen on LauncherPro and phone boot. Also when I open my gallery the photos and such all load much faster. Try it out and update how it goes.

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I can use that as I am now on gingerbread.... but this 3d shell is screaming now and looks even better

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Been reviewing this for quite some time and overall it is slick looking and "eye candy" but the major factor and importance is the performance, customization, user-friendly or not, and everything else that calls into play whether this is worth it or not. Right now it is not worth anywhere near $15. This is the equivalent of how iPhone operates against their users. Strictness. Until they provide scrollable widgets, supported social widgets (also scrollable), customization and a lot more to it, including dropping $15 to maybe $5, I'll have to say no to this app.

Don't get me wrong, it does in fact look really nice and takes the point of launchers to a whole new level, it lacks in many departments. They have the right ideas, just not enough to implement freedom of the way users want to work with it.

I also have been checking the updates on it and the possible upcoming additions to it and they are indeed working towards the demands of what we'd like to see done to it. I haven't seen anything yet about reducing the price from $15 to something cheaper. They are also going to provide the open source codes for themers to make it look even better looking than it does right now and possibly integrating it into their ROMs.

I'd probably give it between 2 to 4 months before we see this total UI dominate all areas and all launchers.

Last edited: