So I was torn between Evo and DX... Not anymore!

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
So I've been torn between Sprint/Evo and Verizon/DX. However, after asking my father-in-law to borrow his Evo for about 10 minutes, I've come to an easy conclusion.

While having something like 4-5 bars of 3G connectivity while standing outside (no 4G here), I promptly went to Mobile Speed test to see what kind of speeds I could get. I assumed I would get 500-1000kbps or so, maybe more. I was shocked to see that all I could get was about 75kbps (once, the other 5 tests were lower). After doing some more googling, I found lots of other people here in Indy who had major issues with Sprint 3G speeds and most of them couldn't ever get more than 300kbps! Despite the fact that I'll be paying an extra $1,000 over the course of 2 years, I guess this means I'm going with Verizon. I really wish I could get some sort of employee discount with them - their plan rates hurt!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Wow 75kbps??? That blows goats. I live out in the sticks and real close to a known dead zone for all carriers the last test I ran I got 1064d/577u. Of course wifi gets me 6682/566.

You might want to also check for sure to see if you get any employee discount. I would think if you got it for Sprint you would for VZW too.

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Wow 75kbps??? That blows goats. I live out in the sticks and real close to a known dead zone for all carriers the last test I ran I got 1064d/577u. Of course wifi gets me 6682/566.

You might want to also check for sure to see if you get any employee discount. I would think if you got it for Sprint you would for VZW too.

Yeah, it was absolutely pathetic!

As for the discounts... I don't get a Sprint Employee Discount, just the Everything Plus program that anybody can get in on. I have already tried every possible angle to get a Verizon employee discount and it's a no go. I work for a 4-person company who has no ties to Verizon and my wife is in college where the staff and faculty get employee discounts but the students do not. Trust me, I've tried. :-(

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I think 1x speeds on Verizon are better than that!

Yeah, that's about what I get on my G1 without 3G connection! I can't for the life of me believe that anybody could consider that acceptable with an Evo on a 3G connection! That was HORRIBLE!!!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

Yeah, that's about what I get on my G1 without 3G connection! I can't for the life of me believe that anybody could consider that acceptable with an Evo on a 3G connection! That was HORRIBLE!!!

Yeah it is amazing people buy high-end phones on carriers that suck in their area. Guy at work has T-Mobile which is the worst carrier to get in this area. He had it before moving up from Florida where it was apparently good and just never switched. Well he always moans and groans about it but went out a few few weeks ago when they had their free phone promo and got an HD2. Now he has this powerful phone but can barely use it.

JCo352

Reaction score

Yeah it is amazing people buy high-end phones on carriers that suck in their area. Guy at work has T-Mobile which is the worst carrier to get in this area. He had it before moving up from Florida where it was apparently good and just never switched. Well he always moans and groans about it but went out a few few weeks ago when they had their free phone promo and got an HD2. Now he has this powerful phone but can barely use it.

I had TMobile and the G1 in Florida, and they do have pretty good service there, and it's fast. I've only been to one place there that didn't have coverage, and I mean NONE, but it was a really small town.