Sell me on the X vs. the EVO

stryguy

Reaction score
If you're going to use it as a wifi hotspot it's pretty simple.

Verizon = 3g
Verizon = Gossip of download caps.
Verizon = Doesn't have 2.2 or bootloader unlocked so no native Wifi Hotspot. Hot spot only by application and thus no VOICE + Data

Sprint = 4g in your neighborhood in December
Sprint = Definitely no caps on 4g data for the foreseeable future.
Sprint = 2.2 and unlocked bootloader so you can have native wifi Hotspot.
Sprint = EVO w/ 2.2 offers Data tethering + voice at the same time.

Sprint is a no brainer.

stryguy

Reaction score
Battery life is another nail in the EVO's coffin. Not even close to as good as the DroidX.

Battery life has been no different on my Droid X over my friends Evo. It's a phone you have to charge every single night.

OP
B

BLACK6PACK

Reaction score
Ok, this isn't going the way I expected!! U r supposed to be selling me on the X!! ;) I really appreciate the input. I'm on several automotive BBS forums (LS2gto & turbobuick) and I have to commend the guys here for being non biased. OK, is using a 3g or 4g phone as a hotspot even a good idea? I like downloading 50 megs in a few seconds, but it isn't critical. I just don't want to wait 30 seconds to download a google search.

stryguy

Reaction score
It's looked down on by many people because we feel it's people that use this feature excessively that will ruin it for the rest of us that use it occasionally.

3g is not going to stack up to your current $50 a month high speed home internet plan.

4g will provide much faster response times and much faster download speed.

KingTee

Reaction score
If you're going to use it as a wifi hotspot it's pretty simple.

Verizon = 3g
Verizon = Gossip of download caps.
Verizon = Doesn't have 2.2 or bootloader unlocked so no native Wifi Hotspot. Hot spot only by application and thus no VOICE + Data

Sprint = 4g in your neighborhood in December
Sprint = Definitely no caps on 4g data for the foreseeable future.
Sprint = 2.2 and unlocked bootloader so you can have native wifi Hotspot.
Sprint = EVO w/ 2.2 offers Data tethering + voice at the same time.

Sprint is a no brainer.

+1 The unlimited everything plus any mobile any time is a killer deal i don't see why a lot of people cant see this. I'm on Verizon but i still have my sprint service also. I've had sprint for 10 years with an occasional hiccup here and there but i haven't had any of the horror stories that others have had. I guess it's because i never have to call them lol.

The locked bootloader on the X is what has kept me from getting it. I like flashing custom roms and doing what ever i want to my phone. If i brick it then hey its my fault but at least i have the option to use custom roms if i choose. With the X i don't think custom roms are gonna happen. We have some awesome devs who are making our phones run a lot better but i don't see anyone getting past the the locked bootloader. If it hasn't happened on the milestone yet it's not happening on the X. I hope I'm proven wrong.

korp

Reaction score
Looking to get into the smartphone realm for a new side business and I want to use it in several ways. I'm a graphic artist by trade. I went and played with an EVO just a few minutes ago and really liked the way it felt and the UI. I know 2.2 is coming out, so I think that will be a wash. Didn't like the X UI as much. I'm looking at canceling my high-speed internet ($50), vonage ($30 and going 2 magic jack just to have it) and using the EVO or X as my hotspot for my internet. I'm not looking to be transferring 100 meg files. 4g will be in south florida where I live by december. Sprint will be $99/month unlimited everything except lan line calls, Verizon will be more like $130/month. For some reason I want the X over the EVO even though things point to the EVO for my uses. TIA

The X is on Verizon Wireless.

/thread

If cost is a major issue than go with Sprint but if you can afford the extra $31 per month than go with Verizon. The network will be the major difference since both phones are practically the same.