Sell me on the X vs. the EVO

BLACK6PACK

Reaction score
Looking to get into the smartphone realm for a new side business and I want to use it in several ways. I'm a graphic artist by trade. I went and played with an EVO just a few minutes ago and really liked the way it felt and the UI. I know 2.2 is coming out, so I think that will be a wash. Didn't like the X UI as much. I'm looking at canceling my high-speed internet ($50), vonage ($30 and going 2 magic jack just to have it) and using the EVO or X as my hotspot for my internet. I'm not looking to be transferring 100 meg files. 4g will be in south florida where I live by december. Sprint will be $99/month unlimited everything except lan line calls, Verizon will be more like $130/month. For some reason I want the X over the EVO even though things point to the EVO for my uses. TIA

NADA918

Reaction score
Battery life is superior on the X
Verizon 3G service is better than sprints 3G and 4G combined.
That being said, I really like the EVO and would be more than thrilled to have that phone or the X.. So I personally would consider this a tuff one

DNoMac

Reaction score
The Verizon network alone makes the choice for me. My only decision was between the DI and the X. I chose X (and love it).

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Looking to get into the smartphone realm for a new side business and I want to use it in several ways. I'm a graphic artist by trade. I went and played with an EVO just a few minutes ago and really liked the way it felt and the UI. I know 2.2 is coming out, so I think that will be a wash. Didn't like the X UI as much. I'm looking at canceling my high-speed internet ($50), vonage ($30 and going 2 magic jack just to have it) and using the EVO or X as my hotspot for my internet. I'm not looking to be transferring 100 meg files. 4g will be in south florida where I live by december. Sprint will be $99/month unlimited everything except lan line calls, Verizon will be more like $130/month. For some reason I want the X over the EVO even though things point to the EVO for my uses. TIA

The Evo is a great phone, No doubt about it! The biggest comparison however is going to be Verizon vs. Sprint. Alot of this comes down to location. Is your monthly Sprint figure including the $10 extra per month for "4G for the Evo" that I've heard about? Also, keep in mind that Verizon's 4G is going to start rolling out later this year as well. It isn't apples to apples either. Sprint uses WiMax for their 4G while Verizon will be using LTE instead. By the numbers, LTE SPANKS the other competition and also penetrates walls better than WiMax. Verizon's already existing 3G is beast in speed and coverage too! Though in South Florida, coverage shouldn't be an issue no matter who you choose.

OP
B

BLACK6PACK

Reaction score
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I really want to try to get it right the 1st time. Verizon's network has me leaning that way, but the 4g is tempting as is the unlimited everything. Is 2.2 going to make the UI a wash? On top of that I have been reading the X will get quicker updates vs HTC taking longer.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Btw, welcome to Droid Forums!!!:welcome:

stryguy

Reaction score
If you plan on using it as your home internet connection PLEASE PLEASE go with the EVO + Sprint.

PLEASE.

Besides you'll be happy you did when the 4g shows up in your neighborhood a few months from now.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I really want to try to get it right the 1st time. Verizon's network has me leaning that way, but the 4g is tempting as is the unlimited everything. Is 2.2 going to make the UI a wash? On top of that I have been reading the X will get quicker updates vs HTC taking longer.

Coverage is the first thing to consider and is most important. I learned this the hard way with Suncom. $50 for unlimited everything but, I couldn't use it everywhere so it defeated the purpose. Sprint having 4G kinda makes you wonder why Big Red is #1 and Sprint still trails even AT&T doesn't it?? Haha!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I the unlimited everything. .

Keep in mind that compaines are going to be doing away with the truly unlimited data here shortly so that should not be a part of your decision.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Also I had Sprint before I came to Verizon and would never go back to them no matter how much I saved a month.

fcgiii

Reaction score
We tried an Evo for about 2 weeks before taking it back and waiting for the Droid X. Evo was a great phone but the $10/month surcharge for the 4G that we would not even get until next year was a slap in the face. I also like the real buttons on the Droid vx the touch ones on the Evo. The Droid X camera seems better and has the shutter and zoom buttons on the side so you can actually use it like a real camera. Finally, the swype is much more fun than the Evo keyboard.

jst4fun

Reaction score
Like the ones above have posted.
Verizon Vs Sprint......is that even a choice?
I left one of the best phones on the market, (AT&T) because even if you have The Best Phone, its not worth a darn if you don't have service.
Only downside to Verizon is when using pda net, you can't talk on phone and stay on the net. Other than that its hands down. Verizon all the way!

stryguy

Reaction score
Yes, entice the guy that's going to be using the phone as his primary internet connection to come over to Verizon.

That's smart.

I want to keep my unlimited plan and the more people like this the less likely we'll get to keep it.

OP
B

BLACK6PACK

Reaction score
Ok, Stryguy says go with Sprint, Droid DOES says V will be rolling out 4g, but at what cost. $30 a month savings on sprint helps but is not a deal breaker and yes I calculated in the $10. I've done a lot of research and the X seems to spank the evo on speed. Even noticed that just playing at the stores, but I think some of that has to do with the x not supporting flash right now. If using these phones as your wifi hotspot what would be your choice? Really appreciate the input. It's almost like marriage, it's a 2 year commitment!! ;)

RSC10

Reaction score
I think the frame rate limitation of the EVO (30 fps) really bummed me out. If you like to play the occasional game....the DroidX blows the EVO out of the water. Play Homerun Battle on each. Vastly superior on the DroidX. Battery life is another nail in the EVO's coffin. Not even close to as good as the DroidX.