Verizon's prices are killing me (compared to Sprint)

FolsomFear

Reaction score
do you want to pay more for more coverage

or less for less coverage

thats the real question

EXACTLY! And my answer is, I don't know! If it was a little more for a little more coverage, that's one thing. But it seems like it's a lot more for a little more coverage. That's what I don't have a definite answer to! I know the economy of diminishing returns is out to get me here - I just hate it! :p

i know how it is bro. im in the same boat. ive been penny pinching for the last 6 months. but still, i use my phone a good amount, and the extra 40$ (for my plan with another line) is well worth it, even in these hard times. i often have to make deliveries and get bad directions and let me tell you, when im stuck out in the boondocks i need that signal for my phone to save me. cant get that from sprint. i think the cost diference heavily outweighs the service diference. But that is just based on how much i use my phone.

plus when i move into my new place in a week, i will teather my phone for free internet, and i need good signal for that. its all about the service to me.

Varking

Reaction score
For those worried about coverage, there is a simple hack that allows you to use Verizons 3G without having it be roaming. So your signal would be no worse than now, but you would also get 4G in some areas.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

stonedoubt

Reaction score
I'm not sure what plan you are talking about but I have 3 lines on Verizon plus the data plan and my bill is around $180/month. Plus they are now offering unlimited plans.

plan.jpg

stonedoubt

Reaction score
For those worried about coverage, there is a simple hack that allows you to use Verizons 3G without having it be roaming. So your signal would be no worse than now, but you would also get 4G in some areas.
Have a link?

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
@Varking: That's still not a refined, reliable hack. There are LOTS of mixed results on that still.

@Stonedoubt: I'm talking about the 1400 minute talk & text plan with unlimited data added on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• vzw.png
    vzw.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 343

soops

Reaction score
To OP:

Did you go to sprint/vzw store to find out the actual pricing? In reading some posts, it seemed that ppl are quoting diff. monthly $. Next, see if you can borrow a sprint or vzw phones from the store or friends and compare coverage while in USE BY YOU.

Sounds like you're leaning toward vzw, so have you tried to go to vzw store & tell them you'd like to sign up, etc. what sort of options available out there to make you sign up.

If the saving is still as substantial as you noted & sprint coverage isn't that much worse, then go with sprint. In 2 yrs you will save considerable $$ and by then sprint may have better android phones and with healthy competition vzw may reduce their monthly plan or at least make it closer/more competitive.

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
To OP:

Did you go to sprint/vzw store to find out the actual pricing? In reading some posts, it seemed that ppl are quoting diff. monthly $. Next, see if you can borrow a sprint or vzw phones from the store or friends and compare coverage while in USE BY YOU.

Sounds like you're leaning toward vzw, so have you tried to go to vzw store & tell them you'd like to sign up, etc. what sort of options available out there to make you sign up.

If the saving is still as substantial as you noted & sprint coverage isn't that much worse, then go with sprint. In 2 yrs you will save considerable $$ and by then sprint may have better android phones and with healthy competition vzw may reduce their monthly plan or at least make it closer/more competitive.

I've not asked for a "loaner" phone. Do they usually do that? I couldn't imagine them just letting people take a functional phone out of the store without buying it!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The horrible customer service, transfers, and outsourced call centers is what drove me away from Sprint in 2007 after 10 years with them. Consider that when making your decision too.

soops

Reaction score
I was able to do this w/TMobile years ago. If not try sprint out for 30 days & if you are not satisfied with coverage then usually you can cancel.

Varking

Reaction score
Yeah I saw a commercial today where you can sign up with them and try it for 30 days and if you are not impressed you can cancel and get your money back.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw a commercial today where you can sign up with them and try it for 30 days and if you are not impressed you can cancel and get your money back.

Amazing, 3 years ago when I worked at VZW, we called that "Test Drive". Pretty original for Sprint to start offering this.

Varking

Reaction score

Amazing, 3 years ago when I worked at VZW, we called that "Test Drive". Pretty original for Sprint to start offering this.
I'm not saying Verizon doesn't do this. I am saying if you know Verizon will be good and aren't sure about Sprint, you can try it and if you hate it Verizon will still be there for you. If you end up liking Sprint then all the better. Verizon is a terrific fallback plan.

we_suffer

Reaction score
The reason Verizon is SO expensive is because they have solid service and pretty good customer support.

I've had Sprint and AT&T before... Both bloody nightmares with God awful service. T-Mobile from what my friends have told me is unpar with two cups with a bit of string between them.

You get what you pay for, for the most part. However I do think Verizon Wireless could afford to go down in price a little bit on data packages and unlimited services for texting.