Slingbox coming to Android tomorrow (06/21)

Varking

Reaction score
The setup i have personally is with an older box so it may be different with newer boxes these days but i have the coax cable go into a splitter and have one end of the splitter go to the tv and the other end go to the slingbox coax cable part, but the newer boxes are different so im not sure.

as for you sitting watching the eagles, if you have some sort of splitting device if your friend changes the channel on your sling box it will not affect you watching the physical tv in your home no but you would need to have a splitter for that. like i said dunno what types of connections the newer boxes have, i will be finding out shortly as im getting my own place with the fiance (wedding is sunday lol).
Just wanted to say congratulations on your wedding.
Sorry to the others for my off topic post. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
The setup i have personally is with an older box so it may be different with newer boxes these days but i have the coax cable go into a splitter and have one end of the splitter go to the tv and the other end go to the slingbox coax cable part, but the newer boxes are different so im not sure.

as for you sitting watching the eagles, if you have some sort of splitting device if your friend changes the channel on your sling box it will not affect you watching the physical tv in your home no but you would need to have a splitter for that. like i said dunno what types of connections the newer boxes have, i will be finding out shortly as im getting my own place with the fiance (wedding is sunday lol).
Just wanted to say congratulations on your wedding.
Sorry to the others for my off topic post. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks Varking, appreciate it! so pumped, thinking about qik streaming it haha. ok back on topic..

jfourman

Reaction score

Oh Congrats :) Yea I think the splitter idea will be next week :D I just wanna get it up and running today .. see what happens, prob be on the phone with hog lol

Shadez: My Slingbox PRO HD has a TV Tuner built into the Slingbox. When I am using the Slingplayer on my phone or PC, I can choose to view the "Cable Box" input which means I am using the same DVR cable box that is connected to the living room TV...or I can watch the "Slingbox Tuner" which is input from the same cable connection but split before entering the DVR. I have one of the Comcast "free" digital set top boxes on this connection so I can't see HD channels or use DVR features; but I can watch basic cable without disturbing anyone watching the living room TV.

It is fun to turn on your Slingplayer to spy on what your kids are watching when you aren't home. It keeps them on their toes not to watch "inappropriate" shows. I also use the DVR search window to type messages to the TV viewer and visa versa the TV viewer can type messages to the Slingplayer viewer. It's totally ineffective; but fun.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Now ya tell me the pro does that..:p

Anyways, thanks all, I got it working.. and I dont think Ill need splitter yet because I hooked it up in the other room with the cable box that is active but not used on a tv right now.. so I am watching what I want on my regular tv while I can still watch somethig diff on phone..:icon_ banana:

And Hog, hang onto that #.. Im sure something will come up with the luck I have lol

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Im baaack... lol Ok all is working except when I go to watch subscription channels that i have, not playboy :p It says subscription required??

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Is their a trick to getting this to work without wifi? I keep getting unable to connect..

DavePDX

Reaction score
Is their a trick to getting this to work without wifi? I keep getting unable to connect..

Shadez, I had problems connecting via 3G initially when wifi worked just fine. I found that resetting my Slingbox (hold the reset button in 5 seconds) and the resetting up my slingbox via slingbox.com allowed the 3G to work properly.

If that doesn't work, are you able to use your slingbox via the web from another computer (not on your own LAN)? I ask this to make sure that port forwarding is set up properly on your router.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Shadez, I had problems connecting via 3G initially when wifi worked just fine. I found that resetting my Slingbox (hold the reset button in 5 seconds) and the resetting up my slingbox via slingbox.com allowed the 3G to work properly.

If that doesn't work, are you able to use your slingbox via the web from another computer (not on your own LAN)? I ask this to make sure that port forwarding is set up properly on your router.

Ok did that, then when to re setup on comp and now it cant find the slingbox even tho both lights on are red.. tried turning it off, pulling out ethernet..sigh

DavePDX

Reaction score

Ok did that, then when to re setup on comp and now it cant find the slingbox even tho both lights on are red.. tried turning it off, pulling out ethernet..sigh

Regarding the "it" in"it can't find the slingbox" - that's your android phone can't find the slingbox? If so try this (I found this on the Slingbox forums and I'm quoting it almost word for word from the author eferz):

"Use this site (Open Port Check Tool) from a computer that's on the same network as your Slingbox. Type in the Slingbox's current port number in the "What Port?" edit box and click the "Check" button. This will attempt to test if the connection can be made through the public IP address of your router into the private IP address of your Slingbox."

If you don't get a successful response then your router is not configured properly to allow port forwarding.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
No, the computer couldnt find it on network, so I did a reset of the modem and rooter, now cant remember my cisco router pw.. sigh, not my day..

DavePDX

Reaction score
No, the computer couldnt find it on network, so I did a reset of the modem and rooter, now cant remember my cisco router pw.. sigh, not my day..

Sorry to hear that. I've had many days like that and have little hair now as proof.:)

It sounds like port forwarding may need to be set up on your router in order to access your slingbox from the internet. Somewhere on slingbox.com's support website is a sequence of instructions that allows one to pick their router from a drop-down list so that you can get step-by-step instructions specific for your particular router (hopefully as the list isn't particularly complete) on how to set up port forwarding if it is needed. I've got to step out for about 30 minutes and when I get back I'll see if I can find a link to that support item.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok the reset worked... all is good now, thanks alot for the help!

MarkO

Reaction score
anyone know if ther is any way to increase the resolution / data rate?