Slingbox coming to Android tomorrow (06/21)

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Resolution is a function of your upload speed from the Slingbox out to the network and the download speed of the network your Droid is on. The Slingbox software adjusts the screen quality to fit the network speed, too slow and it degrades the screen quality so it will at least work on a lousy network.....just try and hookup your Droid to the same network your SLingbox is on and you see the great screen resoloution it can provide.

Ron W.

MarkO

Reaction score
Resolution is a function of your upload speed from the Slingbox out to the network and the download speed of the network your Droid is on. The Slingbox software adjusts the screen quality to fit the network speed, too slow and it degrades the screen quality so it will at least work on a lousy network.....just try and hookup your Droid to the same network your SLingbox is on and you see the great screen resoloution it can provide.

Ron W.

I htink my problem must be that the slingbox defaults to EVDO and not my local network. Is there a way to push default to wifi?

rjsurfer

Reaction score
I think there are settings in your local router that have to be made to allow a certain port transfer....that's something that the installation routine should have done automatically, if it didn't make those changes go to the Slingbox support page the details are there I just don't remember them off the top of my head:icon_eek:

Something like adding a virtual server for port TCP5001:icon_eek:

Ron W.

Bartl3by

Reaction score
Im planning on picking up the HD box within the week. Clearly, the last few pages how shown me the DVR streams flawlessly as long as you have the UL speeds and a properly configured router. My only question is how well does it work streaming your media shared over your wireless network(i.e. movies on hard drive)... anybody have any luck with this? Sling's site says it works with WMP but its pretty brief on how, or how well.

jfourman

Reaction score
Im planning on picking up the HD box within the week. Clearly, the last few pages how shown me the DVR streams flawlessly as long as you have the UL speeds and a properly configured router. My only question is how well does it work streaming your media shared over your wireless network(i.e. movies on hard drive)... anybody have any luck with this? Sling's site says it works with WMP but its pretty brief on how, or how well.

Your Slingbox Pro HD isn't going to play anything on your network unless you have a Media Server hooked up as an input on the Slingbox. Slingbox controls and plays from the inputs that are connected to it. It controls the inputs via its IR blaster output. It isn't a media server. The Pro HD does have an additional TV Tuner built in that can offer a second TV input other than your cable box. If you want to play content on your network, your will need a media server like a WD TV Live, PS3, etc... Those devices will transcode/decode the content (WMP, VOB, MP3, etc) and the Slingbox will then stream the media servers output to your phone or PC.

jfourman

Reaction score
ok so ps3 work... what about xbox 360? yes? no?

Anything that has a video/audio output and can be controlled via IR. The PS3 needs an IR-to-Bluetooth transmitter to work since the PS3 doesn't have an IR receiver. Logitech makes an IR-to-Bluetooth transmitter for the PS3.

dan j

Reaction score
Is there a way to transfer the license to a DROID? I'm coming from Windows Mobile, purchased the license from Sling directly.

Thanks

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Is there a way to transfer the license to a DROID? I'm coming from Windows Mobile, purchased the license from Sling directly.

Thanks

Unfortunately no.. only between other phones with the same platform.

dan j

Reaction score
That's a bummer! I guess my wife will get Sling on her BB.

I'm sure that as soon as I do it, they'll change. Oh well.

Thanks

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

ThemApples

Reaction score
Slingplayer Mobile for the AV or Classic

Hey all,

First post on the forum and I just received my new Droid yesterday! I LOVE it so far!!

I previously had the Slingplayer mobile on my Palm Treo and see that it's available on the Droid X now. My question though is this. I have an old version of the Slingbox, can't remember offhand if it's the AV or Classic but from the Slingbox website they state the following message:

"Slingbox Requirements: A Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO, or Slingbox PRO-HD" "The Slingbox AV, Slingbox TUNER, and Slingbox Classic are not fully supported for use with SlingPlayer Mobile for Android. A Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO, or Slingbox PRO-HD is highly recommended."

I'm wondering if I will still be able to download and use Slingplayer Mobile if I have the AV or Classic Slingbox in my home?

Any information or assistance would be much appreciated!

Regards,

ThemApples

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Hi, welcome to the forums :)

It says on slings website that the app is does not support the older models BUT may work in some configurations.

Their website isnt the easiest place to find info on, so you may want to check the forums there, I did, and their are some very helpful people who helped me out within mins when I needed help setting up a guest password at 3 am lol

Also, I think some here may be also running the older ones, so maybe someone here will chime in as well.

ThemApples

Reaction score
Thank you Shadez and thanks for the welcome. Hoping other's will chime in as well with their experience using the older model slingbox'!!