Sling coming to your Droid??

DConn

Reaction score
and...its not going to drain the battery right

trabical

Reaction score
Has anyone with 2.2 + Flash + Slingbox tried Sling.com yet? Does that work? That way you wouldn't need to pay the $30 for the app.

BostonDan

Reaction score
Has anyone with 2.2 + Flash + Slingbox tried Sling.com yet? Does that work? That way you wouldn't need to pay the $30 for the app.

I have tried this, and it does not work. I believe sling.com uses silverlight (from Microsoft) as a video transport, which is not available on the droid.

I have to admit, the Slingplayer mobile for android is the best picture and video experience Sling has for mobile devices. I have seen sling players on the old Motorola 9c (windows mobile), and on the blackberry. This version rocks and is well worth the $30 (IMHO).

Cheers,
B.D.

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have tried this, and it does not work. I believe sling.com uses silverlight (from Microsoft) as a video transport, which is not available on the droid.

I have to admit, the Slingplayer mobile for android is the best picture and video experience Sling has for mobile devices. I have seen sling players on the old Motorola 9c (windows mobile), and on the blackberry. This version rocks and is well worth the $30 (IMHO).

Cheers,
B.D.

1+ Agree totally. Slingplayer on Android rocks.

Guitar4Him

Reaction score
I went to Best Buy last night and bought a Slingbox Pro-HD after downloading and installing the Slingplayer app on my Motorola Droid. Setup was easy and I've been loving the app so far. I had MobiTV on my Palm Treo 755p and was waiting for it to be available for the Droid. However, after considering the issue from all sides, I decided that I'd rather take the plunge and get a Slingbox and then, I wouldn't have to pay a monthly subscription service. Also, I get the advantage of having all the channels (low band) that I have at home and can know in advance what's coming on and when. The problem with MobiTV is that you can't get a channel guide so for most of the channels, you can't know in advance or in real time, what's playing. The MobiTV app for Android isn't available yet so I don't know what it will look like on the Droid but I can testify that the Slingplayer resolution is stunning....especially compared to what I was used to with MobiTV on my Palm Treo 755p.

I've been using it all day today....both on my Droid and on my laptop. That's one of the nice things about getting a Slingbox....any PC you're using that has internet access can become a TV. If you like TV...especially sports, this thing is going to become your favorite app. Come on football season!!!

zMd113

Reaction score
What is required to make this work? I live in the middle of nowhere so WiFi isn't an option. Can it work over 3G?

Guitar4Him

Reaction score
What is required to make this work? I live in the middle of nowhere so WiFi isn't an option. Can it work over 3G?

Mine works fine over 3G. Yesterday, I had it running while I was driving from Burlington to Greensboro to Durham to Burlington....total of over 100 miles and it glitched about 3 times. Otherwise, reception was excellent.

BTW....I was driving....not watching TV. dancedroid

zMd113

Reaction score
Wow so that's awesome thanks for the replys I'm going look into buying this then.