Skype for Verizon = Useless

bblood

Reaction score
I just re-installed Fring. Fring lets you make Skype calls over WiFi for free on the Droid! Where there is a will, there is a way.

Wrong...using fring and trying to then use skype you think its not using your minutes but its gotta use your phone to connect to the numbers still unless you are using sipdroid or sipgate and gizmo5. If you want to really test if its free turn on airplane mode so it turns off the cell towers, than go turn on your wifi and try making a phone call with fring it will tell you to turn on your cell tower connection since it needs a number to connect to as google voice does as well, if you want TRUE free calling looking into using Google Voice w/ Sipdroid and Gizmo5 and you can truely make free phone calls without touching verizons network. :icon_ banana:

Hey Dragonfly, I hate to say it, but your wrong this time... I just tried this (airplane mode, turn on wifi then use fling to make skypeout call) and it worked perfectly.

Right. You can use SkypeLite beta (not Skype Mobile) with Fring to make calls over wifi....I have used this setup where there is no 3G/CDMA coverage. It works....for now.

Maybe someone can copy the binary of skype mobile over from some other android phone from some other provider that will unlock the wifi.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Wrong...using fring and trying to then use skype you think its not using your minutes but its gotta use your phone to connect to the numbers still unless you are using sipdroid or sipgate and gizmo5. If you want to really test if its free turn on airplane mode so it turns off the cell towers, than go turn on your wifi and try making a phone call with fring it will tell you to turn on your cell tower connection since it needs a number to connect to as google voice does as well, if you want TRUE free calling looking into using Google Voice w/ Sipdroid and Gizmo5 and you can truely make free phone calls without touching verizons network. :icon_ banana:

Hey Dragonfly, I hate to say it, but your wrong this time... I just tried this (airplane mode, turn on wifi then use fling to make skypeout call) and it worked perfectly.

Right. You can use SkypeLite beta (not Skype Mobile) with Fring to make calls over wifi....I have used this setup where there is no 3G/CDMA coverage. It works....for now.

Maybe someone can copy the binary of skype mobile over from some other android phone from some other provider that will unlock the wifi.

yes bblood comes to the rescue ;) thanks bud!

jimnutt

Reaction score
You don't even need SkypeLite beta to use Fring. Fring works just fine for making (and receiving) calls over skype. The biggest problem it has is that it's not very "sticky", it doesn't keep running in the background well, so receiving calls can be problematic.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I use Skype over Fring on WiFi just fine.

Any reason Fring does not recognize the fact that my Wifi is enabled and connected?

EDIT: Nevermind just figured it out. Firewall causing issues. There, fixed. WOOT!

bblood

Reaction score
I use Skype over Fring on WiFi just fine.

Any reason Fring does not recognize the fact that my Wifi is enabled and connected?

EDIT: Nevermind just figured it out. Firewall causing issues. There, fixed. WOOT!

Try closing fring and re-starting it. Android apps sometimes don't make the switch from 3g to wifi automatically.

elgordo123

Reaction score
I might just be paranoid, but since there are a bunch of idiots throwing the name Fring all over the skype forums dont be suprised if they get a C&D letter pretty soon. You might want to atleast download the apk and keep it around just in case they have to pull it. Just my 2 cents...
Some things (Fring) are like fight club...

bblood

Reaction score
I might just be paranoid, but since there are a bunch of idiots throwing the name Fring all over the skype forums dont be suprised if they get a C&D letter pretty soon. You might want to atleast download the apk and keep it around just in case they have to pull it. Just my 2 cents...

This is my fear and concern as well....Well said.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

This is my fear and concern as well....Well said.

Maybe ill cease the gv way too :)

jimnutt

Reaction score
Fring has been around for a long time, at least 3 or 4 years. If skype was going to try and shut them down, I'd think they'd have done it by now. Besides, they're more than just a Skype client, they support most of the big IM networks, facebook and twitter.

bblood

Reaction score
right, but I wouldn't doubt for a second verizon's power to shut down voip on their devices....or try to charge extra for it.

Atook

Reaction score
right, but I wouldn't doubt for a second verizon's power to shut down voip on their devices....or try to charge extra for it.

They've certainly got the power to shut down VOIP over their network, but not necessarily the devices. Part of the 2007 FCC decision means that Verizon has to let all capable devices on their network. If you've got a device capable of VOIP you can do whatever you want with it on non-Verizon networks.

bblood

Reaction score
Ok, then why can't I use Skype Mobile over my home wifi connection? Is there a version of Skype Mobile for droid that I can get that allows wifi? If so, I want it. Skype and Verizon have "A strategic partnership". And I'm pretty sure it wasn't Skype that had the brilliant idea do Force you to turn off wifi in order for the app to work.

bblood

Reaction score
maybe we can get the source code and someone can comment out the line that forces you to turn off wifi, then re-market the app under a pseudonym.