Skype for Verizon = Useless

ITguy11

Reaction score
I downloaded the Skype app in the marketplace, and installed it on my Droid. I ran the app and it is severely crippled - no Skype over WiFi! What is the point?

I knew it was too good to be true w/Verizon... Skype app now uninstalled.

Brokn68

Reaction score
Droid has unlimited data with Verizion, so you use that instead of your minutes=win for me :)

rgn2000

Reaction score
I downloaded the Skype app in the marketplace, and installed it on my Droid. I ran the app and it is severely crippled - no Skype over WiFi! What is the point?

There is no way that Verizon will allow people to sit on WIFI and make free calls all over the place. They are allowing it over 3G and Skype to Skype is free. The only thing they can do is maybe come up with a monthly charge to allow unlimited via WIFI, but no way they are going to allow it for free. Think about it.

Riley

Reaction score

There is no way that Verizon will allow people to sit on WIFI and make free calls all over the place. They are allowing it over 3G and Skype to Skype is free. The only thing they can do is maybe come up with a monthly charge to allow unlimited via WIFI, but no way they are going to allow it for free. Think about it.

Yup it's a loss of business to them if they allow it over wifi. I like the app and will use it for free 3G skype to skype and IM'ing. :)

OP
I

ITguy11

Reaction score
I just re-installed Fring. Fring lets you make Skype calls over WiFi for free on the Droid! Where there is a will, there is a way.

elgordo123

Reaction score
Is it just me or is skype to skype still use skype-out ($ and airtime usage) ?

Edit: even though it does dial out and you get an incoming call when skype to skype is enabled, you will not get charged minutes nor skypeout charges. It just looks like it it is normal call, but it isn't.

still this app sucks. skype on my old windows mobile phone (verizon even) worked and did everything that regular skype is supposed to do.

Last edited:

atlharry

Reaction score
People will always want something for nothing. Go live on a deserted island.

cisco0910

Reaction score
ok, i figured it out. you gotta dial a +1(areacode) then number. But if your not calling another skype number then it's still being charged against your minutes. correct?

ipawd1

Reaction score
Who really sits around searching for wifi when you have 3g capabilities? Stop being cheap and get an upgraded data plan

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Not sure how you can:

a. upgrade your data plan.
b. be cheap.

When a Droid only has one data plan, and requires it. ;)

andymellon4

Reaction score
So skype to skype calls only work free for verizon users correct?

Than whats the benefit of using skype to call people who are already using verizon? Because dont all verizon users get free verizon to verizon as is?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Pretty sure its skype to skype calls are free.

Not skype to skype calls on Verizon only ;)

ipawd1

Reaction score
If you have unlimited DATA its free to call them. Verizon or not.

Please read the provided links.