Skype on Verizon App vs. Just Plain Ol' Skype App

Rolster8

Reaction score
So I just downloaded just plain old Skype App from the Market for my wife's Thunderbolt. I did this because Skype now has the video chat set up for the Thunderbolt. I have the Droid X2 and have the Skype for Verizon app. Just for grins I downloaded the 'just plain old Skype app'. I would like to know the difference between the two. Which is better? Are they essentially the same? I have to be honest. The Verizon sponsored one has a lot lacking in terms of user interface compared to the plain Skype app, so I tend to like that better. So, does it really matter? Thanks.

nikecar

Reaction score
So I just downloaded just plain old Skype App from the Market for my wife's Thunderbolt. I did this because Skype now has the video chat set up for the Thunderbolt. I have the Droid X2 and have the Skype for Verizon app. Just for grins I downloaded the 'just plain old Skype app'. I would like to know the difference between the two. Which is better? Are they essentially the same? I have to be honest. The Verizon sponsored one has a lot lacking in terms of user interface compared to the plain Skype app, so I tend to like that better. So, does it really matter? Thanks.

The blue icon one is the non VZW one. That one has the video chat ability (must enable in the settings)

So use that one.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
Rolster8

Rolster8

Reaction score
I figured that part out. I do have the blue one on my wife's Thunderbolt. What I want advice on is for DROID X2. Do I use the standard (blue) one or do I use the Skype Mobile one for DX2? Which is better? Since I don't have video chat for this phone, the apparently seem the same. I like the standard (blue) one, but I just didn't want to go in that direction if somebody out there said that you get "blank" features by using Skype mobile app that you wouldn't get if you used the standard (blue)one one. Like I said, I like the standard better than the mobile....just wanted ti make sure I don't lose any capabilities by switching.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

nikecar

Reaction score
your mobile is the same as my mobile one, so its not going to be all that different, which is why I commented.

The mobile one just has a basic interface with contacts, events and call phone display.

The blue one allows you to edit more of your profile, from the best I can tell. the biggest is that video chat.

even if you cannot video chat on your phone, you can still see the person if they video chat. That's the biggest thing. Just go with the standard version, instead of the VZW Mobile one.

OP
Rolster8

Rolster8

Reaction score
nikecar--- Thanks for the advice! That's what I was hoping you'd say. I do have one last question. I am assuming that the reason I don't see that option (even greyed out ) for the video chat like I do on my wife's is due to the fact that that standard Skype app recognizes that my phone is not compatible and therefore does not give me that option.

nikecar

Reaction score
nikecar--- Thanks for the advice! That's what I was hoping you'd say. I do have one last question. I am assuming that the reason I don't see that option (even greyed out ) for the video chat like I do on my wife's is due to the fact that that standard Skype app recognizes that my phone is not compatible and therefore does not give me that option.

you have to go in the settings of the program. There is an option for Video Calls (all the way at the end of the settings).

4 options:
1) Enable Video Calling (check box)
2) Receive VC from:contact/anyone
3)Show my video to: anyone/contact
4) video quality

OP
Rolster8

Rolster8

Reaction score
I know exactly what you're saying, I believe that because I have a DX2, that it's not compatible because I checked the Skype app version that I have and it matches. Do you gave the DX2? Because in that case, I must not have the correct version. Or are speaking from the perspective of someone who has a phone that is on the approved/compatible list? If that's the case then I believe the issue is simple....the DX2 must not be supported at this time. BTW, thanks for talking me through this....I appreciate it!