Skype for Verizon = Useless

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
This is BS I just checked my minutes after using skype to skype to call a friend and it actually shows that i am using my plan minutes!!!!!!!!!!! This does not sound right :icon_eek: i mean whats the purpose of this then? Please someone else do a minute check after using skype to skype .

Tested it, not sure how you checked your balance was higher, i just checked my current balance called another skype account that i have at home was connected for 5 mins and see no diff on my online vzw account.

Rasjudah

Reaction score
This is BS I just checked my minutes after using skype to skype to call a friend and it actually shows that i am using my plan minutes!!!!!!!!!!! This does not sound right :icon_eek: i mean whats the purpose of this then? Please someone else do a minute check after using skype to skype .

Skype to Skype is *suppose* to be free.I would be curious what your bill would like. It may show up as minutes used, but not minutes that count against your plan?
"Making a call to any other Skype user is handled purely through data, but a call through Skype to a domestic number will suck down your minutes just like any other call."
Skype Mobile for Verizon on Android hands-on (with WiFi off) -- Engadget

On the verizon app under usage it gave me 360 anytime minutes and 387 anytime minutes used after skype to skype . ..

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

Skype to Skype is *suppose* to be free.I would be curious what your bill would like. It may show up as minutes used, but not minutes that count against your plan?
"Making a call to any other Skype user is handled purely through data, but a call through Skype to a domestic number will suck down your minutes just like any other call."

On the verizon app under usage it gave me 360 anytime minutes and 387 anytime minutes used after skype to skype . ..

You sure you called another SKYPE member and not just a contact you created in skype with a phone number? I know i have my dad listed as a skype number but its just his cell number therefor calls his cell not a real skype account. i think the way to check this for real is in the app look at your contacts the contacts that have the check mark inside the green icon are true skype contacts while the ones with little phones in them are just added contacts with cell/land line numbers not real skype members, thats the only thing i can think of for the issue you are experiencing.

Rasjudah

Reaction score

You sure you called another SKYPE member and not just a contact you created in skype with a phone number? I know i have my dad listed as a skype number but its just his cell number therefor calls his cell not a real skype account. i think the way to check this for real is in the app look at your contacts the contacts that have the check mark inside the green icon are true skype contacts while the ones with little phones in them are just added contacts with cell/land line numbers not real skype members, thats the only thing i can think of for the issue you are experiencing.

Thanks for prompt replies, funny thing is I do not have the contact on my phonebook, the contact called is only on skype.

thaJack

Reaction score
I also agree that it is 1.8 MB of useless ones and zeros. If you're calling internationally.. maybe. If you're calling someone on a computer, good. If you're calling someone else on Skype Mobile, what's the point? They're already on Verizon and the call is already free!

KevinX

Reaction score
Just checked my minutes again...I'm nearly positive they are being used up when a Skype call gets forwarded to a real phone line after so many seconds of the user not answering. And there is no way for Verizon Skype users to know this is happening besides asking the person on the other end of the call.

thaJack

Reaction score
People will always want something for nothing. Go live on a deserted island.

What do you mean for nothing? I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I haven't seen anyone asking for a free data plan. Am I missing something?

Rasjudah

Reaction score
Just checked my minutes again...I'm nearly positive they are being used up when a Skype call gets forwarded to a real phone line after so many seconds of the user not answering. And there is no way for Verizon Skype users to know this is happening besides asking the person on the other end of the call.

Interesting .... I called a contact that even confirmed that they were using the skype on their laptop. I will have to try this again and see if my minutes used up again!

KevinX

Reaction score

Interesting .... I called a contact that even confirmed that they were using the skype on their laptop. I will have to try this again and see if my minutes used up again!

The Skype user I'm calling just logged out and on my phone it now displays "Offline with call forwarding" This must be a disclaimer that means you are about to be charged minutes...or at least that's whats happening in my case.
But when the person was online, the description next to the contact said nothing about call forwarding, it just said "Online". Tricky situation...hope this isn't happening to others.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

What do you mean for nothing? I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I haven't seen anyone asking for a free data plan. Am I missing something?

I'll sum up the whole thread people are trying to get phone calls all together for free by using skype. They thought it would be free by using skype however its only free if you call other skype members, which does benefit people that want to call over seas and dont want to pay international prices, or want to call someone on a diff network and not have to use their minutes using a skype account.

OP
I

ITguy11

Reaction score

I never said anything about wanting something for free. I pay for Skypeout minutes through Skype. I wanted the ability to use the Skype app over WiFi natively, which Verizon won't allow.
Instead I use Fring w/Skype over WiFi. When you travel to foreign countries 3G is not typically available. Last month I was in Mexico, I used Fring over the hotel WiFi network to place calls through Skype at no additional cost from my Droid. Turn on airplane mode and turn on WiFi use Fring and voila it worked. Much cheaper than Verizons $1.99 per minute.

thaJack

Reaction score
now I can call all my friends on the east coast when they're logged in on their skype and all it uses is my minutes?? Perfect!!

Without Skype I can call my friends all over the entire country and all it uses is my minutes.

darthdroid

Reaction score
I was just expecting this to work over the data network, so i could make a skype call AND use Nav/Browser/etc . No such luck. Works exactly the same as google-voice in the sense that it dials an access number, and routes the call from there, so you can understand why it doesn't work on Wifi - it is not a data call, it's a regular voice call.

The big problem that i have with this is that you can't know who is calling you - when someone calls to your skype, you just get an incoming call from that 404 number.

Now why did VZW decide to implement this in such a way, who knows :)

KevinX

Reaction score
I am now certain that in my situation anytime minutes are being used no matter what type of Skype calls are placed. I confirmed this by calling a family member's Skype account and answering the call myself on my own computer. The exact amount of minutes and the time of the call showed up later after checking MyVerizon.
I'll have to contact customer service to see if they have an answer for me.