Sirius XM Android app is here

CoffeeGood

Reaction score
Ugh...it installed like butter and I have sirius in my van but no premium. Is the $2.99/month worth it when Pandora is free and better quality plus Pandora is far more versatile? Oh...I don't listen to Howard but do like the 80's and 90's channel and I don't see those either. :(

It's worth depends on how often you want to listen to your 80s/90s channels outside of your van. I ride a train for an hour each way every day to and from work so, for me, it's definitely worth $2.99/month. If you're in a service van for most of your working day then, maybe not.

I'm a fan of Pandora and Slacker Radio because they're free and for their customizable station features. However, I'm also a Fantasy Football fan. Sirius has a Fantasy Football station that I can't get from a free app like Pandora/Slacker. Plus all the different news stations (CNN, HLN, Fox Talk, MSNBC, Bloomberg, etc.) and Sports stations (ESPN Radio, 24/7-MLB Talk, NHL Home Ice, etc.) are NOT available on the free apps (that I'm aware of).

So...$2.99/month is an easy decision for me.

Check the "Channels" button at the bottom of your Droid while running the Sirius-XM App and you'll see all the channels listed. The 80s/90s channels are in the "Pop" section.

This free trial keeps skipping and goes silent when a text comes in. Not sure if that's because it just the free trial or not. It just got stuck on the Pulse playing the first chorus of a song over and over. Pandora=win...Sirius...not so much. Anyone have any clues to why it sucks so bad or is it just because it's the free trial?

I don't think you running the trial affects the quality. I had the same skipping/repeat issue as soon as the 2.2 update happened. I had to follow post #235 from this thread (root my phone/disable stagefright). It works like a charm now.

One thing that will hamper your listening is poor data coverage. If you're in an area of weak data coverage or traveling and frequently switching cell towers, you'll experience interruptions while the App reacquires a data connection.

Feel free to let me know if I can be more help or if I thoroughly made a confusing mess out of your situation =)

FastKatt

Reaction score
The Decades channels are there...
The app has a problem with Android 2.2 (they are working on a fix)
If there's things in Sirius|XM you'll "miss", then it's "worth it"
If you're happy with your Pandora channels & don't need to skip too many songs, save your money
HTH

I listen to HairNation & TheHighway (Highway16) while I work out, I'd miss it...
There's a "fix" listed for the skipping & looping, but you need root access to do it.
(I also found a way to get free access to the app, just need to resign-up every week)
Good Luck!

FWPhoto

Reaction score
Ugh...it installed like butter and I have sirius in my van but no premium. Is the $2.99/month worth it when Pandora is free and better quality plus Pandora is far more versatile? Oh...I don't listen to Howard but do like the 80's and 90's channel and I don't see those either. :(

It's worth depends on how often you want to listen to your 80s/90s channels outside of your van. I ride a train for an hour each way every day to and from work so, for me, it's definitely worth $2.99/month. If you're in a service van for most of your working day then, maybe not.

I'm a fan of Pandora and Slacker Radio because they're free and for their customizable station features. However, I'm also a Fantasy Football fan. Sirius has a Fantasy Football station that I can't get from a free app like Pandora/Slacker. Plus all the different news stations (CNN, HLN, Fox Talk, MSNBC, Bloomberg, etc.) and Sports stations (ESPN Radio, 24/7-MLB Talk, NHL Home Ice, etc.) are NOT available on the free apps (that I'm aware of).

So...$2.99/month is an easy decision for me.

Check the "Channels" button at the bottom of your Droid while running the Sirius-XM App and you'll see all the channels listed. The 80s/90s channels are in the "Pop" section.

This free trial keeps skipping and goes silent when a text comes in. Not sure if that's because it just the free trial or not. It just got stuck on the Pulse playing the first chorus of a song over and over. Pandora=win...Sirius...not so much. Anyone have any clues to why it sucks so bad or is it just because it's the free trial?

I don't think you running the trial affects the quality. I had the same skipping/repeat issue as soon as the 2.2 update happened. I had to follow post #235 from this thread (root my phone/disable stagefright). It works like a charm now.

One thing that will hamper your listening is poor data coverage. If you're in an area of weak data coverage or traveling and frequently switching cell towers, you'll experience interruptions while the App reacquires a data connection.

Feel free to let me know if I can be more help or if I thoroughly made a confusing mess out of your situation =)

Thanks for the info...I do see the decade channels now...not sure why my blind ass didn't see them before lol. I do have great coverage where I am and am on wifi too (not sure if that makes a difference or not) but it does still hang and skip. BTW...Hair Nation rawks...have you all tried Boneyard...it's pretty awesome too.

Now onto the fix. I did go to the easyroot...my AVS says it's a suspicious app. I ignored that because enough folks have used it here so I'm fairly certain it's not malicious. I'm not a rooter though...only because I don't know enough about rooting and the more I investigate the more confused I get and don't want my ignorance to screw up my phone. Other than being able to try to fix this Sirius issue, will doing all those steps have any other benefits? I feel the need to justify buying a bunch of apps...if you know what I mean.

FWPhoto

Reaction score
4) Purchase and install root explorer
5) Use root explorer to edit /system/build.prop
6) Change the line media.stagefright.enable-player=true
to media.stagefright.enable-player=false

OK...one other quickie...this root explorer...I searched it in the market...is that the right place to look for it? I saw a UK one...says it's a file manager. Is this the one they're referring too? If so, do I need it if I already have ASTRO? I haven't tried to edit files in ASTRO yet so thought I should ask before I make my headache worse. :blink:

CoffeeGood

Reaction score
I'm not a rooter though...only because I don't know enough about rooting and the more I investigate the more confused I get and don't want my ignorance to screw up my phone.

See here for rooting details (IT VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html (I'm not saying "Stop Asking" LOL - it's part of the thread title)

You've got (3) options at this point: (1) accept the risk of rooting and immediately benefit by a better Sirius-XM listening experience, (2) accept the app as it is and wait for Sirius XM to patch the issue with their next update (go here to sign up for an email alert when it's available: SIRIUS|XM on Android) or (3) stick with Pandora.

#2 is the safest and reaps the rewards you want, just not as quick as #1.

Other than being able to try to fix this Sirius issue, will doing all those steps have any other benefits? I feel the need to justify buying a bunch of apps...if you know what I mean.

Yes. Rooting your phone gives you "admin" rights. You can tweak things normally only developers could.

Booch_21

Reaction score
OK...one other quickie...this root explorer...I searched it in the market...is that the right place to look for it?
Root Explorer (File Manager) from Speed Software is the one that I use.

I rooted and have really done little else than make the "fix" in order to get the Sirius/XM app to work correctly. I listen to it all day at work and that made it worth it to me. Rooting is a bonus, but you really don't have to do anything else after its rooted.

xmguy

Reaction score
I have the 1.0.0 version of SXM online. I have Froyo rooted Rom (kangerade) and it works fine.

Graywolfscv

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded to the Droid 2 using one of the other lines on my plan. Tested out SiriusXM 1.0.0 tonight and it worked fine, minus the hiccup with trying to actually connect.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Okay I just downloaded this to my Droid..With the car dock in my second vehicle, it is only $2.99 and I can just connect this to my AUX and get the same result as having to pay for a second subscription on the truck radio which is like $7.95 or something of the sort that I pay now..So I save a few $$. Go me!

lumpysherman

Reaction score
That works unless you live near some 3G dead zones OR you wasn't to listen to MLB our any other spring event thru Sirius XM. I kept my extra subscription just for MLB.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

liam.

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded to the Droid 2 using one of the other lines on my plan. Tested out SiriusXM 1.0.0 tonight and it worked fine, minus the hiccup with trying to actually connect.
Where did you download SiriusXM1.0.0 from? Is that the one on their site that's been linked or is this an update or nsomething?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Toast67

Reaction score
This is happening to me on all channels when doing nothing else with my Moto Droid. Sent an e-mail ... will see what we get back! Thanks for the info.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Sirius/XM cracks me up. So I spend nearly an hour on hold to talk to a support person, then 20 minutes of explaining and waiting while she checked her database only to be told that I need to contact "Motorola" to get a fix and [sic] I should give them my User ID and Password (Moto that is) so that they can verify the problem.

That would be bad enough, but then I come back here nad find that there is a link to sign up for notification when they release the updated player!!!

Shoot me now.. please. :icon_evil:

pjo1966

Reaction score
If you're calling a company that you know is going to keep you on hold for an extended period of time, try lucyphone.com. Basically you enter your number, and the number you're calling. lucyphone calls you so you can enter the prompts to get you where you want to go. Once you're put on hold you hit ** on your phone. You are disconnected and lucyphone stays on hold for you. Once your spot in line comes up, the operator gets a prompt to press a button to connect to you. Once they do, lucyphone calls you back and you're speaking to an operator without sitting on hold. It was designed to save you minutes on your cell phone, but it works equally well with a land line.

Of course the one time I tried it, I got my call immediately. The wait time wasn't long at all.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
If you're calling a company that you know is going to keep you on hold for an extended period of time, try lucyphone.com. Basically you enter your number, and the number you're calling. lucyphone calls you so you can enter the prompts to get you where you want to go. Once you're put on hold you hit ** on your phone. You are disconnected and lucyphone stays on hold for you. Once your spot in line comes up, the operator gets a prompt to press a button to connect to you. Once they do, lucyphone calls you back and you're speaking to an operator without sitting on hold. It was designed to save you minutes on your cell phone, but it works equally well with a land line.

Of course the one time I tried it, I got my call immediately. The wait time wasn't long at all.

Not at all helpful for the problem, but given how cool the service is, I'll just say thank you. dancedroid