Should i wait?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't usually all this however i want some advice.

I currently have a bionic I'm pretty happy with, although I'd like to update to something. I can basically get any phone VZW has... I really really like how the sgs3 looks and feels in my hands however all of these qc issues with the cracking screens and casings I'm wondering if maybe i should just get the nexus or maybe wait for the the next best thing... Maybe the next nexus or the razr hd.

Any suggestions? I will definitely be trying out the kexec if i get the sgs3 I'm just noticing alot of screen issues and wondering if i should wait

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wow, that's such a loaded question. New phone models are coming out all the time, but there are certain times of the year that are most are introduced, usually around the expos, and also in the fall (though there may be other target release dates that are common). I wouldn't base my decision on things such as cracking screens so much since I don't believe they are QC issues as you elude to. Cracking cases may be QC related, as a result of slight physical dimension aberrations, or due to screws being set too deeply or with too much torque, etc.

Size and shape of the phone certainly plays a role in this decision. I am quite happy with the feel of the Droid RAZR MAXX, both with its width and thickness but the sharper edges and thinner profile of the Droid RAZR were less comfortable in my hand, though it was markedly lighter and thinner so felt less obvious in my pocket. Also bezel size will affect how you hold it, meaning if there is too small a bezel (sides where the screen is not touch sensitive), your fingers will wrap around the front and cause distorted input or unintended selection of screen icons for instance.

My Droid RAZR has a side bezel which is about 7 mm wide, so when holding my phone even though my finger tips wrap around to the front, where they touch the glass is not touch sensitive. I have read that the bezel on the SG3 is much narrower, so there is risk that holding the phone like I do would be a problem and might require me adjusting my normal grip. I want to have a secure hold on the phone, so as not to risk dropping it, which then adds to the chance of cracking the glass due to a drop, and with the screen (below the digitizer) possibly being closer to the edge of the phone that can put the internal OLED at greater risk of being cracked from a fall.

The RAZR HD is looking like a very nice blend of the RAZR MAXX design with a higher res screen, better processor and graphics, and other improvements. I am seriously considering that move when it arrives.

Personal preference ultimately plays the biggest role, so what works for me may be completely unacceptable for you, and that's OK. Whatever the case, I wish you luck and keep us informed!!

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well i went and played with it again and i just really like how it feels. Without a car it just feels nice, with a case possibly a but bigger, but I'll deal. I love the screen size and am honestly thinking of getting one then selling it to buy the Dev edition, although that might be pointless. I usually have the best buy coverage which has no deductible so now I've got to decide where to get it.

kgula

Reaction score
All I can say is this phone is great, I have had it for 2 weeks now. I do not have any issues others are having. In fact I have nice issues with it at all. This is the best purchase I have made.

Reaction score
I've currently got a droid 3, and I was tempted to get an SGS3, but I changed my mind when I heard that phones with A15 cores will be coming out later this year/early next year. My contract (fully) expires in less than a week anyways.

kparks

Reaction score
liftedplane said:

I currently have a bionic I'm pretty happy with, although I'd like to update to something. I can basically get any phone VZW has... I really really like how the sgs3 looks and feels in my hands however all of these qc issues with the cracking screens and casings I'm wondering if maybe i should just get the nexus or maybe wait for the the next best thing... Maybe the next nexus or the razr hd.

Any suggestions? I will definitely be trying out the kexec if i get the sgs3 I'm just noticing alot of screen issues and wondering if i should wait

I would wait for the next HTC or Moto phone that comes to vzw this s3 is ok but I have a feeling the razr hd is right around the corner and the reception on Moto and HTC phones are world's above the s3 and the phones feel better in the hand.. I always had reception with my tbolt but that's not the case with the s3 I'm constantly losing data and phone service

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would wait for the next HTC or Moto phone that comes to vzw this s3 is ok but I have a feeling the razr hd is right around the corner and the reception on Moto and HTC phones are world's above the s3 and the phones feel better in the hand.. I always had reception with my tbolt but that's not the case with the s3 I'm constantly losing data and phone service

I will actually have another available upgrade early next year, I'll probably use it. Still gotta decide. The situation is I'm getting my mother in law a phone... I can get an sgs3 and give her my bionic. Or get something else. But I've got to get a phone that's out now as she is waiting.

RoboCop1268

Reaction score
1) Had an update ready December 2011.

2) Posted to FB like CRAZY about the Nexus and the HTC Rezound. Told everyone I was getting the Nexus.

3) Then rumors for the RAZR came out. Was leaning towards the Nexus for the developing/screen res but I loved the way the RAZR looked. Told everyone I was waiting for the RAZR

4) The RAZR arrived...people had been complaining about sound on their speaker and the reception quality on the Nexus so I didn't care...then two things happened: A) People said the RAZR battery sucked. B) The RAZR MAXX was rumored.

5) Thought, what the hell, maybe they'll throw an HD screen on it...waited...MAXX came out...got almost all great reviews other than the screen..thought about the Nexus again...Rezound went to $50...thought about it but I had an Incredible and wanted something TOTALLY different. Played with the phones in-store.

6) Verizon announced no more unlimited data for me and gave me a window from around March to July...so I waited...RAZR HD, Incredible 4G, Samsung GS3 talked about. Wanted the RAZR HD 100%...the rumored time for release came and went 3 times, Verizon said June 28th was the final day to buy a phone before loosing unlimited data.

7) Pre-ordered and received the Galaxy S3...RAZR HD was delayed, Incredible 4G turned out to be a middle-range phone for not much less than what I paid for my phone...

8) RAZR HD re-announced...looks and sounds awesome.

Bottom line---why decide now? Is there a deadline for you? If not then wait for the HD...As for my decision, I'm so glad I got this phone..I use it for everything and it blows away my last phone...with 2GB of RAM and HD GORGEOUS screen (forget the idiots who complain about PENTILE, the screen rocks), and Jelly Bean coming soon, it'll last you a really long time.

Cinoib

Reaction score

Ok, here's the deal. I started off with the Bionic. I rooted it with Petes and then rerooted with something else when the firmware was upgraded. I then bought the Razr Maxx. I rooted it with Motofail and applied Voodoo to keep my root through the OTA's. In fact, I took ICS and then rerooted with Voodoo. I was surprised it worked so well.

I most recently bought the Verizon Galaxy S3 and rooted it with stock.vzw_root66.7z>. It worked flawlessly. I installed GoLauncher on it and further improved it. I also installed VooDoo so that when it get's OTA's I will be ready.

The Bionic had the brightest screen of all. I could easily see the Bionic out side in bright sunshine. The Razr had less brightness but still was doable. The G3 was very difficult to see in bright sunlight. But the detail on the screen is improved over the two Moto's. The G3 is 306 ppi over the Razr's 265 ppi. I have yet to notice the Pentile issues in the G3. They are there but are not an issue - yet.

I like the build of the Moto's over the G3. The moto's are solid phones that can take abuse. The G3 feels fine in the hand but not as good as the moto's.

Speed tests on the G3 are turning in better numbers. I'm getting very good speed 20 + Mbps.

My biggest gripe about the G3 is the screen brightness outdoors and the plastic build (well, that and a 1750 mAh battery that is nothing close to the uptime that the Razr Maxx gives).

So, if you are indoors and your phone sits on your desk most of the time, the G3 is a good choice. If you're out and about out doors most of the time, then the razr maxx is a better choice.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
1) Had an update ready December 2011.

2) Posted to FB like CRAZY about the Nexus and the HTC Rezound. Told everyone I was getting the Nexus.

3) Then rumors for the RAZR came out. Was leaning towards the Nexus for the developing/screen res but I loved the way the RAZR looked. Told everyone I was waiting for the RAZR

4) The RAZR arrived...people had been complaining about sound on their speaker and the reception quality on the Nexus so I didn't care...then two things happened: A) People said the RAZR battery sucked. B) The RAZR MAXX was rumored.

5) Thought, what the hell, maybe they'll throw an HD screen on it...waited...MAXX came out...got almost all great reviews other than the screen..thought about the Nexus again...Rezound went to $50...thought about it but I had an Incredible and wanted something TOTALLY different. Played with the phones in-store.

6) Verizon announced no more unlimited data for me and gave me a window from around March to July...so I waited...RAZR HD, Incredible 4G, Samsung GS3 talked about. Wanted the RAZR HD 100%...the rumored time for release came and went 3 times, Verizon said June 28th was the final day to buy a phone before loosing unlimited data.

7) Pre-ordered and received the Galaxy S3...RAZR HD was delayed, Incredible 4G turned out to be a middle-range phone for not much less than what I paid for my phone...

8) RAZR HD re-announced...looks and sounds awesome.

Bottom line---why decide now? Is there a deadline for you? If not then wait for the HD...As for my decision, I'm so glad I got this phone..I use it for everything and it blows away my last phone...with 2GB of RAM and HD GORGEOUS screen (forget the idiots who complain about PENTILE, the screen rocks), and Jelly Bean coming soon, it'll last you a really long time.

I actually do have a deadline of sorts... so... I think I'll be getting the sgs3