ok i am sure many of you are facing this same problem ...

pwjewell

Reaction score
*As you already know the new Verizon data plans are dropping on June 28th.

*I have unlimited data and don't want to lose it.

*Currently have DX.

*So says the SGS3 retail sales will commence on June 28th.

*I have an upgrade promo ending on June 30th, which is 100 dollars off on any 4G phone. I want the latest and greatest phone.

*Not impressed buy the SGS3, but can live with it for two years.

*I effen want the Moto Razr MAXX HD. DIE HARD MOTO FAN SINCE THE MPX 220. <-------- AWESOME PHONE OF ITS DAY.

*I can buy the SGS3 on the 28th, which keeps my Unlimited and I get the 100 dollars off any 4g promo. Wait for the Razr MAXX HD to go on sale. I have 14 days for the trade. Return SGS3. Pay restock. Trade for the Razr MAXX HD.

*********BUT what happens if it doesn't come out with in 14 days? Stuck with plastic touchwiz SGS3? Ew? Will it grow on me?

Oooooooooohhhhh what do I do?

Beka27

Reaction score
We have DXs and will be getting the GS3. Verizon isn't going to release the new Razr HD within 14 days of the GS3. I don't have a source on that, but common sense and past release schedules dictate that they won't. They came out with the return fee to stop people from swapping devices, when that didn't work they dropped the return period to 14 days. After that they had to make sure to leave a "cushion" between major phone releases. I'm throwing out the first or second Thursday in August for the Razr...

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with above poster they will not release within 14 days. Get the sg3 when razr hd. Comes out sell sg3 put that money toward full retail of razr

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Yup get the SGSIII now and sell it as soon as you get it. Unlimited locked in. Should have no problem getting $500 for a brand new one. There is the majority of the cost of the new RAZR HD.

OP
P

pwjewell

Reaction score
*I have never messed with Touchwiz. Is it as bad as what people say it is?

*Motoblur has left much to be desired.

*HTC Sense is overwhelming.

*I really like the stock GB/ICS. Its clean and simple. No frills.

*You guys really think I wont have any trouble selling the SGS3?

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I agree with everyone in this and other threads who suggest getting the SGS3 now to keep UD, then sell the SGS3 to pay for the Razr HD when it comes out.
My only problem is with paying $600 - $700 for a cell phone.
It's not a matter of whether I can afford it--I mean, yeah, that's a part, sure! But...no matter how much money I've got, or whether I've saved specifically for it, I can't see paying that much for a phone. Maybe if I were wealthy...but, no.
I mean, the William Baume Flying Tourbillion watch costs $75,000...is it worth it? Certainly to some folks (for status or whatever), but to me? Ridiculous.
I've tried to be frugal and financially practical my whole life...and while I will splurge occasionally ($250 for the SGS3 instead of the Bionic for free or the Razr for $50), I have to set limits. There's always better uses for my money, so even if I won $700 in a lottery, I couldn't plunk it down on a cell phone. If I won thousands of dollars, maybe!
Anyway, I completely understand that the price of an unsubsidized Razr HD is worth it for a lot of people on this board to keep unlimited data or for whatever reason. But I'm going to pass on that particular strategy, grab me a sweet SGS3, and be happy with it--AND unlimited data--for the next 2 years.
Excelsior!

mooseroach

Reaction score
I was in the same situation as yourself. If you are the primary line on your account (link: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...upgrade-scenario-help-please.html#post2140851 ), you can get a $100 discount by upgrading to any 4g phone from 3g except for the sg3. I got the razr maxx for $100, and you know what? I think I'm going to keep it and not bother with the Razr HD... The screen is nice, phone is a good size, huge battery. Sure I could sell it, or could have gotten the sg3 and sold it, but I'd still be paying $400 - 450 for the HD after flipping the sg3 or maxx. I am guessing the HD is going to retail for $300 on contract ($700 without) as it will be equal to the 32gb sg3, but have the bigger battery.

I figure I keep the razr maxx for at least a year, then decdide if I want something new and use the $400 - $450 I would have spent on a razr HD on the next newest and best phone. If I'm spending $450 already, I'll just throw in $200 extra, not much if you save it up over a year. Just my opinion, but I find the maxx pretty good, and for $100 it is a no brainer imo. Now, If you aren't the primary line, and have to pay $200, I would definitely go with the sg3 and keep/sell it.

I could be wrong but here is how I figured out the price of a razr HD off contract: [$650 retail + 250 (cost of 16gb sg3 after tax and upgrade fee)] - 500 for selling sg3 (could maybe get more, but I see it retailing brand new for $600) = $400 for razr HD.

OP
P

pwjewell

Reaction score
I was in the same situation as yourself. If you are the primary line on your account (link: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...upgrade-scenario-help-please.html#post2140851 ), you can get a $100 discount by upgrading to any 4g phone from 3g except for the sg3.

Why not? Who says?

It is for ANY 4G phone. I talked to a VW CSR, I asked if I could do a presale for the SGS3 with the $100 promo and they said, "No its for current retail phones only." So I asked could I do that promo during the "official sale" and they said yes.

Have you heard otherwise? I mean, I could be wrong, but it seems logical to me, however, I admit I am threading the eye of the needle with this deal.

Last edited:

mooseroach

Reaction score
Why not? Who says?

It is for ANY 4G phone. I talked to a VW CSR, I asked if I could do a presale for the SGS3 with the $100 promo and they said, "No its for current retail phones only." So I asked could I do that promo during the "official sale" and they said yes.

Have you heard otherwise? I mean, I could be wrong, but it seems logical to me, however, I admit I am threading the eye of the needle with this deal.

Correct, it is for current phones (told by both store rep and by calling). The main reason I upgraded was to keep my unlimted data, most likely the SG3 will not be out until after the 28th, thus losing unlimited data... you could definitely get the $100 off when it goes on sale in stores (after june 28) and give up unlimited data if I understood your question correctly

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Sounds good to me, pwjewell...but when is the "official sale"? Doesn't that begin AFTER June 28, the beginning of shared data and the end of subsidized unlimited data?

OP
P

pwjewell

Reaction score
Correct, it is for current phones (told by both store rep and by calling). The main reason I upgraded was to keep my unlimted data, most likely the SG3 will not be out until after the 28th, thus losing unlimited data... you could definitely get the $100 off when it goes on sale in stores (after june 28) and give up unlimited data if I understood your question correctly

Sounds good to me, pwjewell...but when is the "official sale"? Doesn't that begin AFTER June 28, the beginning of shared data and the end of subsidized unlimited data?

Right guys, "but so says" it will go on sale *on* the 28th. So I have from 12:00 AM till 11:59 PM on the 28th. That's if thats correct. If not, what do I do? I cannot buy the SGS3. Its presale. The contract doesnt go through until the phone ships...so says. Correct me if I am wrong.

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
OK...who or what is "but so says"?
And how can the phone go on sale in stores on June 28 if even pre-orders won't arrive until July 10?

Billyd

Reaction score
Only scanned the thread but didn't notice any mention of getting whatever cell you want from someone besides Verizon. When I got my Razr VZ wouldn't give much off so I ended up buying from Costco and received a bunch of goodies which I use almost daily worth about 100 -140 bucks or so.

I was sure to mention that I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan and they said no problem.
But one of the nicest things was I had I believe 60days to return if I wanted a diff phone, and that might have been longer.

Just don't think you are obligated to upgrade from Verizon, many here taught me different and I'm glad they did.
Many thanks
X/BillyD..

OP
P

pwjewell

Reaction score
OK...who or what is "but so says"?
And how can the phone go on sale in stores on June 28 if even pre-orders won't arrive until July 10?

Samsung Galaxy S III (S3) Review of News/Release Date Roundup | WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS

That link is 5 days old, but I cannot find any more recent articles that says otherwise. The only date I find that has changed is the July 10th ship date.

Also, this is a possible prediction for the release of the Razr HD.... Motorola Atrix 3 Inching Towards Release - Eastern Morning Herald

Late July.... :/

AND ALSO, if the phones dont officially go on sale July 10th, if thats what you are meaning to tell me, then how can everyone keep unlimited, buy SGS3, flipit for money, ????, profit?! buy Razr HD.

I mean thats the plan for everyone.... From what I heard, Pre-Sale will not extend your contract, it is not an official until the phone ships, which is the July 10... so WTF that means you are forced to do the shared plan????!?!?!

Am I missing something here? Please correct me if I am wrong. I am going on the most current information that I know right now.

mooseroach

Reaction score
It has been confirmed by several sites that if you preorder the SG3 before June 28, you keep unlimited. Any purchase of the sg3 ON or AFTER June 28, and you lose unlimited.

$100 discount does not work on preorders