Setting Up D3 From D1

harlock

Reaction score
I will be getting my new D3 today, and have an original Moto D1. Is it true that when I turn on the new D3, it will prompt me for my gmail account, and then sync everything up (including apps) from my D1 to the new D3?

I have a lot of apps on my D1, and it would be awesome if it transferred that info over (as the Verizon Salesperson told me it would).

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Yes and no. You will need to enter you gmail account info and it "should" sync all your apps down. Occasionally I've seen it only sync a few to none and then only show you your "purchased" apps in the "my apps" part of the Market.

Even if it downloads all your apps automatically, none of the data for those apps will be there (ie..game levels completed, settings/configurations of apps, etc..).

Mine pulled all my apps down and then I had to go back and remove a few (apps requiring root). I typically use Titanium Backup to restore the data to a few specific apps....I had to of course run through manually reconfiguring them this time (as TB requires root).

OP
H

harlock

Reaction score
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the sync may pull over my game apps of Zombies Live & Kingdoms Live, but will not pull over any of the data completed - so I'll have to start over again? (if so, it's not the end of the world, and I know it sounds petty, but it would be nice to just be able to continue the game).

With the paid apps - if they show up in the marketplace as apps I've paid for, but I still need to download the app again, will it charge me again?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Correct, it can/may/might download any and all apps you've downloaded (free and paid) but they will be fresh installs....no data that was configured, level completed, etc..

If they don't and just show you the purchased apps, you just click and install. The purchase is tied to your gmail account, not your device. I have three android devices....all using the same gmail account, all have access to the purchased apps. Once you buy an app, it's yours (on that gmail account).

LT*

Reaction score
If some download and some don't, you can use the web version of the market to install only what you want to the D3. It was much easier to do it through the web for me since only my paid apps showed up on the phone.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
My Droid3 will be coming today as well and I'd actually like to not sync any apps or settings, just my contacts.

Does it ask you what you want to sync when you first setup the phone?

OP
H

harlock

Reaction score
So things like Gmail, Facebook, and my contacts seem to have synced, but not a single app transferred over as was described would/may happen. I went into the Android Market, and was able to download my favorite apps again (not having to pay again for apps I already paid for).

All-in-all the changeover was a breeze, but the hope of my apps being transferred over (with data loss) never did happen with my phone.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It seems to be hit or miss. You HAVE to have "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" checked under Privacy Settings on your original phone....and not just before you get ready to swap but all the time. Without those checked it's 100% not going to install apps to the new phone (which also has to have those checked during the setup process).

I have a tablet and the OG Droid using the same gmail account. Different apps on the different devices. When I got my Droid 3, it pretty much automatically downloaded and installed all the apps I had (on both devices). I needed to do a bit of cleanup afterwards...uninstalling a number of things I only use on the tablet.

OP
H

harlock

Reaction score
@tcrews - ahha, that may be why. I don't believe I had the BACK UP MY DATA feature ON on my D1. I did activate this feature on the D3, so I guess it will help me out in two years!

There were some privacy settings that I didn't turn ON during setup as well, that I then had to turn ON in order to use some of my fav apps (like Weatherbug).

OP
H

harlock

Reaction score
Nice - definitely carried my calendar appointments over! Whew!

AZDroid09

Reaction score
I had mine set up to backup and restore on my D1, it installed about 90% of my apps when I moved to the D3. But most importantly it restored contacts, calendar, browser bookmarks, wifi settings, and even my wallpaper. Very smooth and easy transition. Definitely would have been nice to restore data settings too. I had gotten 3 stars in just about all the Angry Birds levels on all 3 games and would have occasionally played again as new levels got added. But I got bored with the Birds and it's not worth re-doing all those levels just to try the new ones :icon_rolleyes: