Email accounts

Venom51

Reaction score
No, I don't think you understand from my previous post. I want the emails to NOT load on my phone once they have been uploaded onto my desktop computer. It has the option to "remove the manually deleted items from the server" which I have checked. But, the Droid 1 used to remove the emails from the phone once they were on your computer at home. I don't want them on the phone if I have them at home. I am allowed to automatically delete messages from the phone in 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 mos, 2 mos or Never. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update. Thanks for your suggestion.:)

Sorry I assumed you wanted the email on the PC and the Droid to mirror each other. They are indeed missing the "when deleted from Inbox" setting from the D1. This is Motorola's fault for screwing up the email applications with Blur.

Now the one way to get the same effect would be to set your pop server to not leave email on the server. It will be downloaded to whichever client checks mail first. The better solution is to use IMAP if it's available from the service provider you are using for mail. Than anything you do in either client will be reflected on the other.

No need to be sorry, my post wasn't too clear. I don't really know what IMAP is, but I know that my email (optonline.net) is a POP3, so it probably wouldn't work. Darn it! How would I change the pop3 server like you mention? I have tried to find that option and an unable to so far...
Hope they fix this, it is going to be very time consuming to delete all the emails over and over on my desktop computer and on the phone. Oh well, what we have to put up with for a cool phone!:greendroid:

Go set you up a Gmail account and forward your Optonline email to that account. You'll get the benefits of push delivery via Gmail and can set your desktop up to use Gmail as well or just use the web interface. Then your mail will always be the same no matter which device you are using.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Since we know the corp exchange/active sync is a total FAIL, thank you Moto & Verizon I figured I would just use a regular pop mail setup for my work mail. NOT. It fails the certificate everytime, I know it's supposed to work, my co-workers have other Android devices,*but my D3 is FAILING. Today was the return date.

FinalTrigger

Reaction score
Motorola and their Blur crapware have ruined the email experience on this device. The Universal inbox is useless as you have no idea which account the email was recieved from unlike the color coding on the original Android email client combined inbox.
Is there a way to set the email client up like that?

Brokk

Reaction score
I have a hosted webmail (my domain, but their servers) account that can use either pop3 or IMAP. However, when I try to setup email on my Droid 3, it does not give me a way to specify the IMAP server addres, thus it fails to connect. Any way around this limitation?

neonerz

Reaction score
Go add a new email account, on the first screen where it asks you for your email and password uncheck "Automatically configure account", then hit next, go to Incoming Server, change the drop down to IMAP mail server, and the first field is Server:

Brokk

Reaction score
Thank you Neonerz, that worked great!

One problem now. I have multiple accounts under the same domain. When I go into the app for my email, it only shows me the inbox for my "default" account. I've looked all over, but I can find no simple way to toggle between account inboxes. The only thing that works is to open up email settings and change which one is my default account. Then I'll see the new inbox, but only that one.

Is that the only way to manage which account you are looking at?

Venom51

Reaction score
You have a couple options. You can use the Universal Messaging app. It's listed as Messaging in the program drawer. In it you will see Universal Inbox, Text Messaging and the accounts you have created. If you hit Universal Inbox you'll get all the accounts including text in a single place.

That sucks however as it's always 2 clicks at least to get to the info you want.

There is also a Universal Inbox widget that will show you any new messages for any of the accounts.

A third option is to eat up a home screen and add an email widget for each account.

And a fourth is to use some other email application other than the Blur'd failure of an app Motorola created.

Brokk

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could use a widget/shortcut from a home screen. I don't have *that* much else going on or taking up space, so I'll give that a try.

Hard to believe that in this day and age, with support for multiple accounts, they would make it difficult to swap between them when viewing. I figured there would be a simple drop down to support choosing which account you want to view at any given time.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could use a widget/shortcut from a home screen. I don't have *that* much else going on or taking up space, so I'll give that a try.

Hard to believe that in this day and age, with support for multiple accounts, they would make it difficult to swap between them when viewing. I figured there would be a simple drop down to support choosing which account you want to view at any given time.

What would be nice is if Google got involved and used the side-scrolling method used by the Google+ and Google Docs apps for different email accounts.

Brokk

Reaction score
Step by step it's getting better. Now I'm stuck on outgoing messages. Any secrets to this? Here are the instructions from my provider.

SMTP (Outgoing Mail Server)
SMTP server smtpout.secureserver.net
Port 80
Security type None

Select Require sign-in and make sure your Username (your full email address) and Password are correct. Tap Next.

Then they have trouble shooting suggestions:

Step 3: Try Different SMTP Ports
Typically, port 80 works well on Android devices, but sometimes ISPs or network providers block specific ports for security reasons. If port 80 doesn't work, you can try some alternate ports.

NOTE: The steps to change SMTP ports on your Android device might be a little different depending on your make/model and your network provider. However, all the information you need is in these steps.

To Change Your Android SMTP Port Settings
Open the Email application.
Press Menu and tap Accounts.
Tap and hold your finger over the account you want to fix.
A pop-up menu displays. Tap Account Settings.
Tap Outgoing settings.
Try using port 3535. Tap Next to see if it will work.
If that doesn't work, repeat steps 1-5, select SSL for the Security type and try port 465.
Tap Next to see if it will work.

I've tried tweaking around the ports, authentication and security, but it feels like I'm just flipping switches and throwing the dice. Nothing has worked yet. Any thoughts about a more meaningful approach to getting the email outgoing working?

Venom51

Reaction score
Step by step it's getting better. Now I'm stuck on outgoing messages. Any secrets to this? Here are the instructions from my provider.

SMTP (Outgoing Mail Server)
SMTP server smtpout.secureserver.net
Port 80
Security type None

Select Require sign-in and make sure your Username (your full email address) and Password are correct. Tap Next.

Then they have trouble shooting suggestions:

Step 3: Try Different SMTP Ports
Typically, port 80 works well on Android devices, but sometimes ISPs or network providers block specific ports for security reasons. If port 80 doesn't work, you can try some alternate ports.

NOTE: The steps to change SMTP ports on your Android device might be a little different depending on your make/model and your network provider. However, all the information you need is in these steps.

To Change Your Android SMTP Port Settings
Open the Email application.
Press Menu and tap Accounts.
Tap and hold your finger over the account you want to fix.
A pop-up menu displays. Tap Account Settings.
Tap Outgoing settings.
Try using port 3535. Tap Next to see if it will work.
If that doesn't work, repeat steps 1-5, select SSL for the Security type and try port 465.
Tap Next to see if it will work.

I've tried tweaking around the ports, authentication and security, but it feels like I'm just flipping switches and throwing the dice. Nothing has worked yet. Any thoughts about a more meaningful approach to getting the email outgoing working?

It's almost a certainty that your provider will use a non standard port as well as account authentication. If the above is from their sight than the instructions a vague at best and it likely will not be port 80 they are using. it's either going to be 25 or some other alternate port but very unlikely to be port 80.

From their site: "NOTE: "smtpout.secureserver.net" is an SMTP relay server. In order to use this server to send e-mails, you must first activate SMTP relay on your e-mail account. Log on to your Manage Email Accounts page to set up SMTP relay. If you do not have SMTP relay set up and your Internet Service Provider (ISP) allows it, you can use the outgoing mail server for your Internet Service Provider. Contact your Internet Service Provider to get this setting."

By the way that's an assinine way to run a mail server. You might want to opt for a better email service.

Brokk

Reaction score
Had to log in and "dig deep" through their site to see where the SMTP relay is setup, but I found it. The default is that it is "on" with 250 relays allowed for each account, each day. Way more than I would likely ever need. So dead end there.

Anyone else with other thoughts?

Brokk

Reaction score
Here is the answer that fixed my sending issues:

Outgoing (SMTP) Server: smtpout.secureserver.net
Port: 465
Use secure connection is checked
Use secure password (TLS): Auto
Authentication: Auto
Verify Certificate is NOT checked

However, now I had folder issues with IMAP. Blech!

So I finally gave in and switched to K9. It all works there, without all this hassle. Too bad the default software built into the phone does not share the same robustness.