Possible to set two different notification sounds for two different email accounts?

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
On my D1 I had a distinct notification sound for each of my two email accounts, but it seems the Email/Messaging app that Motorola has works as one merged email account in respect to notifications.

Neither of the accounts is a Gmail account so I can't use that as a shortcut and I would strongly prefer not to add another app to my phone such as K-9.

Does anyone know of a way to make this happen?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Can you import your accounts into gmail (from your computer, gmail.com) so that Gmail checks your accounts (pop or imap) and then sends the emails to your gmail account on your phone? That's what I do. You can create labels for each imported account and set notification sounds for the different labels. Then you only have to worry about Gmail as your email application on the phone.

Let the Google servers poll your accounts for email and pull them into Gmail and then push them to your phone.

OP
The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea tcrews. I remember the last time I tried that it ended up with some unexpected behavior so I'll just have to be more careful about setting it up to work the way I want it to.

Thanks.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I like all mine to come to the inbox but that limits you to one notification/sound. What email address it was "sent to" is how it replies back if I reply on my phone which is nice.

I think you would need to create a label for each account and have it sent to that label with the "skip inbox" option checked, then on your phone in settings/labels set those labels to sync. Then you should be able to set a notification sound for each label.

flyguy

Reaction score
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but on a related note; is it possible to apply seperate sounds to differnt types of notifications (ex: one sound for e-mail, one sound for voice mails, texts, ect?) If so how?

OP
The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but on a related note; is it possible to apply seperate sounds to differnt types of notifications (ex: one sound for e-mail, one sound for voice mails, texts, ect?) If so how?

Open up Text Messaging and press Menu then Messaging Settings and scroll to the bottom. Here you can change the Notification sound for Text Messages.

Similarly you can change the email sounds.

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can change voice mail sound unless you use that as your default and change all of the others.

senate9690

Reaction score
Check out K-9 Mail, I have three email accounts setup and you can choose a sound/vibrate for each of them. Its a much better app than the stock email app. Has universal inbox and colored coded accounts.

flyguy

Reaction score
Thanks for both suggestions. I'm new to cell phone O.S.s and still trying to find my way around. Most of it is pretty easy, but some of this stuff is buried and takes a while to ferret out.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
If you do forward email to gmail or have gmail check your other account, you can set up labels for those other accounts. Then, in the gmail app you can set different sounds for different labels--this is a new feature of the gmail app. I use K9 though.

OP
The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Check out K-9 Mail, I have three email accounts setup and you can choose a sound/vibrate for each of them. Its a much better app than the stock email app. Has universal inbox and colored coded accounts.

Thanks. I'm familiar with K-9 but was hoping to stay away adding any apps if possible.

Actually, while we're on the topic of K-9, how well does it handle IMAP subfolders? I use them quite a bit and actually like how the stock email app deals with them.

Last edited:

lbeberdick

Reaction score
Agree need distinct notifications for eache-maiil account

this is my 4th smart phone over the past 7 years, Samsung, two Blackberries every one had the ability to establish distinct notifications, both ringtones and light flashes, and in later models color of light flashes. So why is the supposed greatest phone of all times less capable than a 7 year old Samsung? or heaven forbid Blackberry? Also why is it so hard to download and install free ringtones and notification tones. isn't $300 dollars for the device and 200 dollars a month enough for Big Red? When this contract is up i am sure ATT will have coverage as good as VZW, so will change service providers then and get away from this monopoly.

brandon9559

Reaction score
this is my 4th smart phone over the past 7 years, Samsung, two Blackberries every one had the ability to establish distinct notifications, both ringtones and light flashes, and in later models color of light flashes. So why is the supposed greatest phone of all times less capable than a 7 year old Samsung? or heaven forbid Blackberry? Also why is it so hard to download and install free ringtones and notification tones. isn't $300 dollars for the device and 200 dollars a month enough for Big Red? When this contract is up i am sure ATT will have coverage as good as VZW, so will change service providers then and get away from this monopoly.

I have a separate notification tone for text messages and all my email accounts. All you have to do is change it in your email settings. Plus there are tons of ringtone apps in the android market. All of which are free.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
No offense, but you expect the phone to be set up just how you like it out of the box and I think that's unrealistic. There are plenty of free apps in the market that will let your phone do amazing things--and not only ringtones, blinking lights, and different notifications per account.

lbeberdick

Reaction score
Not for the Bionic

No offense, but you expect the phone to be set up just how you like it out of the box and I think that's unrealistic. There are plenty of free apps in the market that will let your phone do amazing things--and not only ringtones, blinking lights, and different notifications per account.
Your phone may have the ability to set notifications by account, the Bionic doesn't.

brandon9559

Reaction score
Your phone may have the ability to set notifications by account, the Bionic doesn't.

You must have a bad bionic because my bionic has a different sound for every notification.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums