D3 vs. D1 - The "Feel"

Jeeper_Slick

Reaction score
It's great to hear that you guys have been liking the feel of the D3. I should have mine by tomorrow afternoon, and will get a real comparison of the two. Based on what I'm reading though, it sounds like I will like it too.

Thanks everyone!

I went from an LG Ally, to a D1, then kept the D2 for quite awhile, and now going to the D3. You would think I would notice the size difference. But even with a hardshell case, the size isn't even noticable. Well except for typing, I love the extra space on the keyboard. The buttons arent all cramped together. For me thats huge, I average 6500+ text messages per month.

OP
H

harlock

Reaction score
I got my D3 last night, and am using it today (well, starting from last night). After holding it in my hands for longer than 3 minutes, and not having it attached to some giant anti-theft block & cable, I have to say, it feels great.

The only feel that I'm not too fond of is the plastic back. I also miss the curved top & bottom of the D1 near the edges, that gave it a little clearance when placed on a table. I actually used to angle my D1 on my laptop & desk - those edges came in handy. I can do the same with the D3, but it is definitely has more of a slip-away response.

My other "feel" issue was during setup - trying to punch in numbers on the virtual keyboard for the phone was nearly impossible at first. It seems to have gotten easier to tap, but it was very resistant at first.

TyrantII

Reaction score
I really love my Moto DROID 1; I'd keep using it, really. We definitely wanted to upgrade my wife's phone, but the deal was a no-brainer to get two D3, so we'll both be using a D3 in a few days.

My first reaction to the phone was that it felt inferior to my Moto D1 - It felt weaker in build. The Moto D1 is a metal-framed tank that feels like a piece of hardware. The D3 feels much more fragile.

I haven't had the new D3 in my hand for more than a few minutes, and this was my initial reaction to it - Has anyone else felt this way about the D3, coming from a D1?

-H-

As someone who just disassembled his OG Droid to fix the glass, I can assure you there's no metal frame.

The bezel around the screen is most definitely metal on the Droid and the Droid 3, the Droid 2 has a plastic bezel on the screen.

I'm not even sure that is, but I forgot to check when i replaced the Digitizer. I'm pretty sure the underside made it apparent it was also plastic.

Either way, that's not the frame. The phone is just manufactured with some quality hard plastic, great design, and lots of glue.