Just upgraded to X2 from D1

OP
S

SPG900NY

Reaction score
The reviews on the PenTile screens seem to have generated a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

When I first looked at the X2, my eyes were impressed. Greatly. Let me be clear. I LOVED my D1. However, the X2 just seems much sharper and clearer to me.

And if this PenTile technology means I get better battery life as well?

I'm all for it.

I'm not going to get caught up in the specs or reviews about this display's drawbacks. The screen looks beautiful to me, and I'd take it over the D1's screen any day of the week.

That, however, is just my opinion. And there's a lot of things that are annoying me about the X2 that I'm not used to. The screen just ain't one of them.

Last edited:
OP
S

SPG900NY

Reaction score
One thing I did notice is that when I wiped my D1 so my wife could use it, and I went back to 2.1 from Peter Alfonso's Gingerbread ROM, the default brightness seems to be MUCH higher, and the screen looked much better. I have a feeling that Peter (or maybe Gingerbread) reduces the screen brightness to save battery life.

Perhaps I had just gotten used to a dimmed display on my D1.

illmatic636

Reaction score
I hear ya, I'm really torn about waiting for the next Moto Device, or taking the DX2 and letting Verizon iron out the 4G network issues.

I really have no clue.

travisn000

Reaction score
My biggest pet-peeve is the centered power button, just makes me nuts. Funny how "little" stuff like that can be an issue.

..the original DX was my first and only Droid.. I find the top center power button very convienient; no matter which hand the device is in I can slide my index finger to the top of the device and turn the screen on or off. I find this much better than having a screen-timout that always kicks in at the wrong time.

I guess to each his own.. :)

OP
S

SPG900NY

Reaction score
Gotcha.

I probably would have still held off, but we had a couple upgrades available on our family account and I figured to replace my wife's broken phone was going to be $200 on eBay anyway. She liked the D1, so I gave her mine and took an upgrade.

Wasn't that I didn't like my D1 anymore.

LTE is going to be another two years probably here on Long Island, so I figured hey, this is dual-core, I did like the idea of a bigger screen (though didn't fully realize how different it would be in my hand), so I jumped.

Now that I have the phone, not sure I'd do it again. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but if we hadn't had a broken phone, I think I'd have waited. The D1 is just so hackable, there's so much dev stuff out there for it, and it was still speedy enough for everything I needed.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I forgot about the power button move! I got my X back in January and I'm used to it now. But for quite a while I was pushing on the upper right! Kinda like going from my stick shift to an automatic car. I always push my leg out for the clutch thats not there!

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
My biggest pet-peeve is the centered power button, just makes me nuts. Funny how "little" stuff like that can be an issue.

..the original DX was my first and only Droid.. I find the top center power button very convienient; no matter which hand the device is in I can slide my index finger to the top of the device and turn the screen on or off. I find this much better than having a screen-timout that always kicks in at the wrong time.

I guess to each his own.. :)

You say potato, I say potato. ;-)

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I went from D1 to DX2. I'm impressed with how much snappier the DX2 is. I have no problem with the screen and I'm able to live with this version of Blur.

The one issue I'm having is there are a couple of sites that with 4 different browsers set for Desktop, will only show the mobile site when on the D1 I got the regular site.

Has anyone been able to get nfl.com to go to the regular site with any browser on the DX2? The other one I'm having a problem with is bengals.com.

On nfl.com when following the link at the bottom to go to regular site I get a Page Not Found message. The Bengals mobile site doesn't even have a link for the regular site. Spare me all the jokes! LOL

Last edited:

Zetsumei

Reaction score
LTE is nice but overrated imo, I consider myself a fairly heavy data user, I use anywhere from 3-10 gigs of data a month and thats with no tethering. I have no issues with loading up full flash pages in a matter of seconds, HQ youtube videos steam w/o ANY delay and there are no pauses to rebuffer etc, and Pandora streams perfectly. I'm not too excited to jump on the 4G bandwagon just yet, due to the #1 issue that plagues all droids. The battery life, if it's that bad with 3G, then with 4G you might as well carry an utility belt like batman and jam it full of batteries. So far I must say I'm quite impressed with the battery life on the x2, I've been streaming Pandora straight for 2 hours or so, and the battery has onlyl gone down like 10% that = #winning. I initially wanted the Bionic, but that phone is now a phantom gg battery and LTE radio problems, also not to mention probably an issue with dual core + LTE radio.

OP
S

SPG900NY

Reaction score
Just updated my original first post with some more info.

I'm thinking of taking this phone back, and think I liked my D1 better.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Just updated my original first post with some more info.

I'm thinking of taking this phone back, and think I liked my D1 better.

hahaha. Your wife is gonna kill you. Indian giver!

-**-/-*/-*/-*/No offense to my Native American friends-*/-*/-*/

OP
S

SPG900NY

Reaction score
:biggrin:

I think it would probably be just another D1 off eBay.

She loves her Droid. I couldn't do that to her now. :)

Elkay

Reaction score
LTE is nice but overrated imo, I consider myself a fairly heavy data user, I use anywhere from 3-10 gigs of data a month and thats with no tethering.

That's a helluva lot of pr0n on the go. :icon_ banana: