D3 Gaming?

Dmw017

Reaction score
The one thing holding me back from getting the D3 is that it seems like its leaning more toward a business-oriented phone than anything else (GSM, keyboard, certain preinstalled apps). I'm a hardcore gamer (not just phone games either) and I want to be able to play the latest and greatest, especially things made by Gameloft.

So Tegra at the moment is the weakest DC processor but with Tegra 3 coming out and everything, it seems game developers are focusing more on that chipset than any other and with D3 sporting a TI OMAP, I feel as if the D3 will have a very short run in terms of keeping up with and playing the newest and most graphically intense releases.

Also, the benchmark tests on the D3 didn't quite stack up to some of the other competitors like the Atrix, htc sensation, and GS2, among some others I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong). I know were supposed to take benchmarks with a grain of salt and all but the sg2 nearly doubled anything the d3 could get in multiple benchmark programs.

Being in college, i can imagine having to use the keyboard often enough once the fall semester starts but i think maybe the added bulk would take a toll on the overall gaming experience after a while, anyone found that to be true?

Aside from those minor worries, I really do want to get the D3 as it seems like a great device overall.
Not considering the D-x2 as an option either, just not my thing. I'm shooting for either this or waiting for the Galaxy S2 or Nexus 3.

edit: Also found that the D3 was also outperformed by the D-X2 in a first-time Quadrant run, 2100 to 2500, with the x2 running the inferior (speed-wise) Froyo and the heavily bogged down Motoblur whereas the D3 was on of course Gingerbread and a less dense "Moto UI".

akhi216

Reaction score
The one thing holding me back from getting the D3 is that it seems like its leaning more toward a business-oriented phone than anything else (GSM, keyboard, certain preinstalled apps). I'm a hardcore gamer (not just phone games either) and I want to be able to play the latest and greatest, especially things made by Gameloft.

So Tegra at the moment is the weakest DC processor but with Tegra 3 coming out and everything, it seems game developers are focusing more on that chipset than any other and with D3 sporting a TI OMAP, I feel as if the D3 will have a very short run in terms of keeping up with and playing the newest and most graphically intense releases.

Also, the benchmark tests on the D3 didn't quite stack up to some of the other competitors like the Atrix, htc sensation, and GS2, among some others I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong). I know were supposed to take benchmarks with a grain of salt and all but the sg2 nearly doubled anything the d3 could get in multiple benchmark programs.

Being in college, i can imagine having to use the keyboard often enough once the fall semester starts but i think maybe the added bulk would take a toll on the overall gaming experience after a while, anyone found that to be true?

Aside from those minor worries, I really do want to get the D3 as it seems like a great device overall.
Not considering the D-x2 as an option either, just not my thing. I'm shooting for either this or waiting for the Galaxy S2 or Nexus 3.

edit: Also found that the D3 was also outperformed by the D-X2 in a first-time Quadrant run, 2100 to 2500, with the x2 running the inferior (speed-wise) Froyo and the heavily bogged down Motoblur whereas the D3 was on of course Gingerbread and a less dense "Moto UI".

Well the Sensation and the GS2 are naturally gonna get better scores because they have a 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor where the D3 has a 1 Ghz dual-core processor; the Sensation, the GS2, and the Atrix are gonna get better scores in a lot of areas because they all have double the RAM of the D3 and the tests are designed to push the hardware to it's limits.

The lack of Gameloft games is a downer. I was surpised to find that only two preinstalled games were all Gameloft had to offer. The mods aren't talking on Gameloft's forums. Then again, it saves me the headache of having to endure the near-nonexisent Gameloft support...

The about the GS2's benchmarks is that they were done using non-US versions of the phone. This is significant because most of the non-US versions use Sammy's Exynos(sp?) chip which appears to be blowing everything else out of the water in terms of benchmark results. According to the GS2's wikipedia page, US versions of the GS2 won't have the Exynos chip in them and will have the Tegra chip due to Exynos chip supply shortages, thus the US GS2's benchmarks will be more akin to the Sensation's.

Are far as pure gaming on the D3 speculation goes, when Ice Cream Sandwich drops, games that are designed to take advantage of dual-core processors will come by the $¥!*load, we will see plenty of high quality games for it and bask in all it's gaming potential.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

akhi216

Reaction score
About the benchmarks, the D3 can be $&%#ted on by devices that have it outspecced on them, but in reality it's merely overkill as the D3 will beat them in battery life.

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
I've honestly spent at least 20 or so hour reading and researching every feature and issue in the D3 but finally when I decided I was going to buy it, I saw the benchmark comparisons and just today started looking at the HTC Sensation.
The phone itself looks great, Sense looks amazing, the specs look somewhat future-proof (at least half a year or until the Nexus III comes out), and T-Mobile's unlimited plan is a plus (4G too).
I'm too exhausted from the extensive research I did for the D3 to do the same for the Sensation but if anyone has any further knowledge on the two devices gaming capabilities or even experience using them, I'd appreciate it.

Btw, does the D3's weight have any effect on gaming after a few hours, or while watching movies or just holding the device for a lengthy amount of time?
And does the keyboard contribute to gaming in any way or is it only good for typing?

akhi216

Reaction score
Btw, does the D3's weight have any effect on gaming after a few hours, or while watching movies or just holding the device for a lengthy amount of time?
And does the keyboard contribute to gaming in any way or is it only good for typing?

No the keyboard extra weight isn't a problem. You get used to it after the first couple of hours.

With the keyboard, you can play emulators with it without having to have your fingers block the screen, and there are some games that have keyboard detection that allow you to use the keyboard to play the games rather than the screen. Some games can't be played at all without a keyboard.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
The droid 3 scores higher than the sensation and atrix in benchmarks.

Please tell me your not using quadrant....

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

Well the Sensation and the GS2 are naturally gonna get better scores because they have a 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor where the D3 has a 1 Ghz dual-core processor; the Sensation, the GS2, and the Atrix are gonna get better scores in a lot of areas because they all have double the RAM of the D3 and the tests are designed to push the hardware to it's limits.

The lack of Gameloft games is a downer. I was surpised to find that only two preinstalled games were all Gameloft had to offer. The mods aren't talking on Gameloft's forums. Then again, it saves me the headache of having to endure the near-nonexisent Gameloft support...

The about the GS2's benchmarks is that they were done using non-US versions of the phone. This is significant because most of the non-US versions use Sammy's Exynos(sp?) chip which appears to be blowing everything else out of the water in terms of benchmark results. According to the GS2's wikipedia page, US versions of the GS2 won't have the Exynos chip in them and will have the Tegra chip due to Exynos chip supply shortages, thus the US GS2's benchmarks will be more akin to the Sensation's.

Are far as pure gaming on the D3 speculation goes, when Ice Cream Sandwich drops, games that are designed to take advantage of dual-core processors will come by the $¥!*load, we will see plenty of high quality games for it and bask in all it's gaming potential.

The exynos barely beats, if it even does beat the OMAP 4 in the Droid 3.
In most of the tests, the omap was faster.

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
The droid 3 scores higher than the sensation and atrix in benchmarks.

Please tell me your not using quadrant....

Hah that would make everything a lot easier XD but yeah Quadrant was one of the handful of benchmarks used. I didn't see the D3 pass Sensation in anything but the browser tests.

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
The exynos barely beats, if it even does beat the OMAP 4 in the Droid 3.
In most of the tests, the omap was faster.

What tests are you referring to? I've looked through quite a bit of the D3 & SII and never saw the D3 beat the SII in anything but browsing.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Reaction score
What tests are you referring to? I've looked through quite a bit of the D3 & SII and never saw the D3 beat the SII in anything but browsing.

Google: OMAP4 vs Exynos.
The OMAP owns.

That's why samsung bumped the SII's processor to 1.2Ghz. That's the only reason why the SII is beating the D3 in more recently-conducted benchmark tests (the ones that show up in a search for OMAP4 vs Exynos are from around February).

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Google: OMAP4 vs Exynos.
The OMAP owns.

That's why samsung bumped the SII's processor to 1.2Ghz. That's the only reason why the SII is beating the D3 in more recently-conducted benchmark tests (the ones that show up in a search for OMAP4 vs Exynos are from around February).

Also the D3 has a higher resolution. Meaning its scores show up as less.
960x560 vs 800x480