Clear Up! D3 Bootloader

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Ok, there has been a lot of talk today and no one officially knows, we've all seen mixed things both here and around the web today and over the past few weeks about both the D3 and bionic bootloader. So I'm offering What I have been told take it as you wish and I am sorry about any confusion caused earlier . There was a mis-understanding when I was talking to someone about their D3 recently. So here is my clear up.

I was originally told the D3 comes locked, but can be unlocked most likely just like the xoom. So all was good I was happy and decided that it was the device for me, had the keyboard that I wanted and the newest in the Droid series. So it was a win win for me. Today rolled around and I continued to say what I was told and what I believed to be true.

With all the confusion today I have tried to confirm one way or another via multiple sources and got minimal and mixed info. So talking to my original source again he has confirmed his D3 is unlocked, and was unlockable, BUT He TOLD me to KEEP IN MIND that his is a test unit and pre-production unit so it may be different for all the devices we are all ordering.

So with this I am saying I am sorry for any confusion, take what you want from this, it may or may not be unlockable tomorrow when we all get the D3, the only positive note if it isn't is you can return it. This is also why I mentioned to not get the device unless you want it either way, if you only wanted it because it was unlocked I mentioned to wait. Again I am sorry for any confusion.

We will all know tomorrow how it will come stock, and even if it is locked at first VZW/moto could release an update to make it unlockable. And even if they don't recent steps have made the D2, the D2G, and DX and DX2 rootable, and able to install CMW if i'm remembering correctly. So also keep in mind even with a locked bootloader a lot is still possible with these machines.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Only time will tell. I look forward to seeing how this all works out.

Last edited:

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I hope its unlockable...I really want MIUI ported over to this device

pigpen

Reaction score
Thanks woody, i'm still ordering mine tomorrow morning. I didnt root my OG Droid for 8 months and i got that in the first week it was released. So i'll have faith in the dev community and enjoy my physical keyboard regardless.

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
yes to me the keyboard is a must, mainly why i got this over bionic, no 4G here so D3 is the winner

Thanks woody, i'm still ordering mine tomorrow morning. I didnt root my OG Droid for 8 months and i got that in the first week it was released. So i'll have faith in the dev community and enjoy my physical keyboard regardless.

BigFwoosh

Reaction score
You know, the Moto employee said it doesn't have an "unlocked" bootloader... this doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have an "unlockable" bootloader. Even the Nexus devices are locked by default and require you to use the "fastboot oem unlock" command to unlock the bootloader if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Actually I just saw the other post saying it's not unlockable. Guess we all just have to wait and see!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I'm the kind of person that NEEDS a physical keyboard as well. The keyboard is the only reason I prefer the droid pro over my past devices.

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
yes, there was plenty of talk because the moto people never give details its always gray area with them. We will see soon enough

You know, the Moto employee said it doesn't have an "unlocked" bootloader... this doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have an "unlockable" bootloader. Even the Nexus devices are locked by default and require you to use the "fastboot oem unlock" command to unlock the bootloader if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Actually I just saw the other post saying it's not unlockable. Guess we all just have to wait and see!

pigpen

Reaction score
yes to me the keyboard is a must, mainly why i got this over bionic, no 4G here so D3 is the winner

I'm in nyc ... 4G is everywhere here, on every carrier ... i'm not impressed with the phones yet. I'll rock the D3 for another 2 years.

i4mt3hwin

Reaction score
The Motorola forum managers are no more knowledgeable than the Verizon store reps. That being said, Motorola never actually promised they'd make all devices unlockable in the future. They promised that they'd offer that ability to their customers, who are the carriers more so than us. If Verizon wanted the phone locked, motorola would lock it for them.

Rodeojones

Reaction score
I said this in the other thread regarding the bootloader, but the term "locked" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Someone with extensive knowledge like Woodyman can comment more on this, but even our beloved Droid 1 had a locked bootloader - as was the Thunderbolt. The difference between the D1 and the DX, D2, etc. is that it was easy to get past that "lock." The bootloaders on the other Moto phones have been encrypted, which is why it took a year to figure out a way around it.

My point is perhaps the bootloader on the D3, while locked, is locked in the same way as the Droid 1. And before we start crucifying Motorola let's wait until one of our many talented developers gets his hands on one and finds out the truth.

tomsyco

Reaction score
I agree with rodeojones, we will find out when the devs get ahold of it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums