Biggest disappointments with the D3

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
i upgraded from Droid 1, I personally love the Droid 3 screen- it's bright, easy to read, beautiful in my opinion. I suppose if I got a magnifying glass out, maybe I could see the pixelization and gradients your are talking about (and i don't need reading glasses BTW), but I just can't understand why some are saying their screens are horrible. Makes me wonder if they have a defective product, or maybe they just have impossible standards. All I know, if there was a real problem with the screens, these Droid 3's wouldn't be selling out like they are!

It's like anything else, individual people have their own lines of what's acceptable and experience things differently.

Just like how there are audiophiles who can't stand speakers without perfect sound because they focus on the shortcomings (which may be more apparent to them as well), some people may see the pixelization of the pentile screen stronger than others or focus on it's shortcomings. Kind of like they know there's pixelization, so all they can see is that.

Mine comes tomorrow, but from playing with it in the store, if I looked really really close I could tell, but unless I was looking for it, it was a non-issue for me.

LordShadowz

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I AM looking and I can say the D3's screen is amazing. It's so bright that my wife has asked me to lower the brightness becvause its too bright for her eyes. You either have a broken screen or you have some sort of x ray vision because I see absolutely none of what you are saying. I come from the Droid X and Droid 2. The Droid 3 screen rocks !! I love the fact that in full sunlight I can see the screen clear as day. It's fantastic..

Billy
LordShadowz

Ooof.

I dunno what you're seeing, but this screen is garbage. Most gradients look like their being rendered in 8-bits. And it looks like everything is being projected through a screen door; the grid of pixels is painfully visible, like a dot-printed comic book picture.

I have to wonder if you've got a defective screen. Mine is bright and clear with nary a trace of pixelization. In no way do I get the screen door effect (except for lockscreen, which is supposed to look like that). Sure, there are times I get some pixelization, but that's few and far between. Watched some hd music vids, and the images were fantastic.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Then you're just not looking. What phone did you have before? The Droid 1 literally has one of the best screens in any mobile device, now we are stuck with a screen that's well below average.

Look closely at your battery and signal icons. Do you see the jagged pattern of pixels? Now slide your notification bar all the way down. Look at the gradient behind the "Verizon Wireless" text, that supposed to be smooth and consistent, but it has almost random bands through it. Look at any icon that has a lot of green in it, they are all aliased. I have wallpapers that I can't even use anymore because they look like they were ran through a Van Gogh effect.

It would be bearable if it could handle gradients properly, but like I said earlier, it looks like the bit depth has been cut in half.

It's no secret that these Pentile screens are garbage, except for their power efficiency.

MattInMN

Reaction score
I can’t take it anymore and have to weigh in. Like many here, I was an original Droid owner from launch and eagerly switched to the D3 when it was released. This. Screen. Is. Awful! I’ve read nine pages of posts in this thread (plus many more elsewhere) and am dumbfounded how people could defend the screen quality. I literally went back to the store to look at the floor model to ensure I didn’t have a defective screen. I don’t. There is massive pixilation that could only be overlooked in passing, light use. The screen is bigger and easier (barely) to see in sunlight, but the Droid’s rendering was crystal clear.

Other gripes I agree with: The power button is cheap and ineffective unless you come at it from that divine, perfect angle. I miss the dedicated camera button and the camera app is slow to start. My keyboard is already loose and slides out unintentionally more than I’d like. The battery cover will likely snap by year’s end. Frequently I’ll tap an app and it will glow blue, but not launch, sometimes taking more than three taps. The locked favorites in the browser’s bookmarks are criminal, especially if they have to appear at the top of each list.

A couple of complaints about the stock browser (mostly as compared to the Droid’s stock browser): When looking at your bookmarks in landscape mode, both Gallery view and List view are awful (the tiles in portrait mode are great). Closing windows by pressing the red minus sign in the Windows screen almost never works – instead of closing it takes me to that window. The “Share link” button in the top right-hand corner is a waste of real estate.

I have not had a single reboot but everything is considerably slower than out of the box (launching apps, rotating the screen, loading pages in the browser). My reception is significantly better on calls than my Droid, but battery time is not as good (an acceptable trade-off). My GPS location when not on wi-fi is about 300 yards more inaccurate than on the Droid.

Overall, I tolerate the lousy screen, continue to adapt to hardware changes and eagerly await a solution to the bloat. I can’t see myself using this phone for an extended period of time. My faith in Motorola is significantly diminished so I’ll pass on the Bionic and keep my fingers crossed for the next Nexus phone. This slide-out keyboard does not make up for all the other shortcomings especially since my “N” button requires a pounding.

AKD3270

Reaction score
Battery (1.5 - 2.0 hours at idle before dead - even with task killers)
Speed (on Verizon) - if this is a fast processor I would hate to see what the older, slower processors were like

This is my first Android phone - just switched from BB - and I am very disappointed

Screen is beautiful, GPS is much more accurate and apps are pretty neat, but with this battery it is virtually unusable ...

There seems to be an incredible variation in what works and doesn't on individual phones - perturbing

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I can’t take it anymore and have to weigh in. Like many here, I was an original Droid owner from launch and eagerly switched to the D3 when it was released. This. Screen. Is. Awful!

I completely disagree with this. Tremendously disagree with this.

I have my Droid and my Droid 3 sitting on my desk, side by side, same wallpaper....and the Droid 3 screen is blowing the Droid screen away. I have no noticeable pixelation, no banding or screen door effects. Just a brighter, sharper text resolution screen. And I would consider myself a very heavy user.

I'd post side by side pictures but then claims of "you need a high-end camera" or "you aren't focused in close enough". Well normal use doesn't use macro focusing or require me to hold it 3 inches from my eyes.

This screen may not be "wonderful" but it is far far far far from being "awful". It's a step up from the original Droid in resolution, color/brightness/contrast, size and use in direct sunlight.

Bobbar

Reaction score
I can’t take it anymore and have to weigh in. Like many here, I was an original Droid owner from launch and eagerly switched to the D3 when it was released. This. Screen. Is. Awful! I’ve read nine pages of posts in this thread (plus many more elsewhere) and am dumbfounded how people could defend the screen quality. I literally went back to the store to look at the floor model to ensure I didn’t have a defective screen. I don’t. There is massive pixilation that could only be overlooked in passing, light use. The screen is bigger and easier (barely) to see in sunlight, but the Droid’s rendering was crystal clear.

:clap:

A couple of complaints about the stock browser (mostly as compared to the Droid’s stock browser): When looking at your bookmarks in landscape mode, both Gallery view and List view are awful (the tiles in portrait mode are great). Closing windows by pressing the red minus sign in the Windows screen almost never works – instead of closing it takes me to that window. The “Share link” button in the top right-hand corner is a waste of real estate.

*My bold*

I found this issue to be face meltingly irritating.

Overall, I tolerate the lousy screen, continue to adapt to hardware changes and eagerly await a solution to the bloat. I can’t see myself using this phone for an extended period of time. My faith in Motorola is significantly diminished so I’ll pass on the Bionic and keep my fingers crossed for the next Nexus phone. This slide-out keyboard does not make up for all the other shortcomings especially since my “N” button requires a pounding.

*My bold*

When the D1 first came out, it was pretty much a piece of crap. Eclair was slow, the camera had focusing issues, and Android was still in its infancy. I have confidence that most of our issues will be resolved with some software updates.

JesterMX6

Reaction score
Battery (1.5 - 2.0 hours at idle before dead - even with task killers)
Speed (on Verizon) - if this is a fast processor I would hate to see what the older, slower processors were like

This is my first Android phone - just switched from BB - and I am very disappointed

Screen is beautiful, GPS is much more accurate and apps are pretty neat, but with this battery it is virtually unusable ...

There seems to be an incredible variation in what works and doesn't on individual phones - perturbing

go exchange it.

Reaction score

:clap:

*My bold*

I found this issue to be face meltingly irritating.

*My bold*

When the D1 first came out, it was pretty much a piece of crap. Eclair was slow, the camera had focusing issues, and Android was still in its infancy. I have confidence that most of our issues will be resolved with some software updates.

Time for you to move on to an iphone. You just don't sound happy. For what its worth the screen is fantastic. I've tried to find why some people don't like it but I can't. Someone needs to do a vid or show proof of why they don't like it. I've looked really hard at the screen to the point that my eyes hurt to see what some people ar seeing. I see nothing. Pleas show us what you are seeing. Now im sure you are seeing something.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
I'd say it has to do with this. Like I said, people have different levels of eye-sight and different levels of what is or is not acceptable.

milestone3-pentile-screen_thumb.jpg

militant

Reaction score
The pixelation is really only noticeable on certain shades of green. Also, you have to have the phone very close to your face, and be focusing ON the pixels to even see them. I have better than "perfect" eyesight (isin't that a fallacy?) and while I can see it, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I think the people who are so enraged with the screen might have some form of OCD, because while I certainly see it (if I'm looking for it) all the other wonderfulness that is this phone quickly makes me forget about it.

Reaction score
I've seen that battery pic before and I can't get that close to see it like that. Ya I can tell that it doesn't look good but that's all I see. Its definitely how you presive what you are looking at.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
I'd say it has to do with this. Like I said, people have different levels of eye-sight and different levels of what is or is not acceptable.

milestone3-pentile-screen_thumb.jpg

A closeup of the battery icon? If your that critical over pixelation (sp?) Get an iphone or Samsung makes a nice display from what ive seen.
With the d1 the screen , very nice and bright, took up a lot of battery. Everybody complained about having to reduce the brightness down just to save battery.
Moto did a good job by giving us this screen that doesnt take up that much battery. If needed I can reduce it down to less than 30% and it still bright enough for me.

People are upset about screen display.....for a cellphone. This isnt a HDTV were talking about people, its a cellphone. How close do you put it to your face?
sent from my dThree

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
I think the people who are so enraged with the screen might have some form of OCD, because while I certainly see it (if I'm looking for it) all the other wonderfulness that is this phone quickly makes me forget about it.

That was my point from a few posts ago. If you're looking for it, you can see it, but you're not looking for it when just using your phone (like I won't be when using my phone). Some other people know it's there and they keep looking for it without trying and it bothers them.

cloudstrife05 said:
A closeup of the battery icon? If your that critical over pixelation (sp?) Get an iphone or Samsung makes a nice display from what ive seen.

I don't even have my Droid3 yet. This was just a picture from a review that showed the type of pixelization that can exist with Pentile. I'm sure for those guys to be so strongly against it they see it elsewhere. One mentioned on the gradient when you pull down the notification tray for instance.

Some pixelization on a phone display won't bother me in the slightest and I'd gladly take it to reduce the amount of battery the display eats but I'm not everyone.

What people need to realize is that some people will like this screen and some will hate it. But trying to say the other person is wrong is as dumb as telling someone they're wrong because they think green apples taste better than red ones.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Personally I like the D3 screen. I was iffy about it at first but the tiny bit of pixelation is worth the lower power consumption and the ability to read it clearly in direct sunlight. Also, HD video playback on the screen is fantastic. I recorded some videos of a show the other day and the drummer in my band (who has an iPhone 4) was telling my how gorgeous the screen on my D3 was. He's switching to an android phone soon lol.

Bobbar

Reaction score
Time for you to move on to an iphone.

Aside for the condescending implication hidden in this comment, I find it hilarious given the fact that this is an Android forum. And more specifically, a Moto Droid thread; almost a solid antonym to the iPhone. (Physical Keyboard + Android)

Me, personally, would rather jam forks into my eyes. (Maybe I should, then I would enjoy the D3 screen much better. :rofl3: Sorry, couldn't help it)

You just don't sound happy. For what its worth the screen is fantastic. I've tried to find why some people don't like it but I can't. Someone needs to do a vid or show proof of why they don't like it.

Look where you are. "Biggest disappointments with the D3", There's not bound to be much cheer here.

I've looked really hard at the screen to the point that my eyes hurt to see what some people ar seeing. I see nothing. Pleas show us what you are seeing. Now im sure you are seeing something.

I linked these earlier.

Wiki

A Closer Look at the DROIDX2 and its qHD Display, PenTile at its Not-so-Finest - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

They go into detail about not only why the PenTile screen looks like crap, but also the science behind how it looks like crap. It's physically impossible for the screen to produce a equal or superior image to that of the 2 previous Droids. It's pixels are literally in the wrong shape, orientation and numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that there are advantages to the PenTile screen; less power consumption. But I feel, given the money and the technology involved, that sacrificing image quality (clearly a subjective trait for some) is a hack way of conserving energy.