[Rumor] Verizon Plans to Throttle Some 4G LTE Users on Unlimited Data Plans

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vermoney.jpg

You knew it would eventually happen right? Big Red is supposedly getting ready to take that next big step in coercing users to give up their Unlimited Data Plans. According to the latest intel, Verizon plans to start throttling 4G LTE users if they are still on an Unlimited Data Plan. The company plans to implement this change starting October 1st.

verizon-network-optimization.jpg

Verizon is "spinning" this as "Network Optimization," but we all know what it really is... "profit optimization." Here are the rumored "requirements you must meet" in order to be throttled:
  • Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)
  • Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature
  • Have fulfilled their minimum contract term
  • Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand
That spells it out pretty clearly. A majority of users may not be too affected by this, but we can imagine that is small comfort for those who will be.

On top of this, Verizon "shared" that folks who are on an unlimited data plan and use 10GB will be throttled at the halfway point; however, if they are on a MORE Everything plan with a 10GB data limit, they can use 10GB without any throttling. I guess that's something if you can afford the 10GB plan.

Let the vehemence commence, in 3... 2... 1...

Source: AndroidAuthority

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Really don't have a problem with this, other than the 4.7 GB point. Should start with the abusers, you know the top 2% of users that abuse the unlimited data plans.

Yeah, yeah, I know, unlimited blah, blah, blah. It's a mobile network not a home IP provider.

I do hope this means they can back off on the locked bootloaders. One can hope.

civiksi

Reaction score
Great. I easily use 30-40 gigs. I stream music all day long at work. That's the big killer. I'd still prob use 10 if I didn't

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm sure no go on that bootloader...lol
It does say for congested cell towers so I guess some can still get those speeds in other areas ...we knew it was coming ..they will keep planning different strategies to limit unlimited users ...

M8 tap'd

swc2001

Reaction score
Well I think the this is not as big of a deal as the head line makes it out to be. When I first saw it I was all.... Well Buh-Bye Verizon..... but then I read who this would affect.
I really dont think its going to hardly affect anyone. It says if you have a 4G LTE device you will NOT be affected.
In order to be affected you must
be on an Unlimited data plan, have a 3G device or be on 3G, be in the top 5% of users of data, and be on a congested Cell site.
So unless all of those things are happening at once..... you will not be affected.

Dont get me wrong....... I still think its Skeezy but at least its not what we all thought it was when we read this headline.
I believe that when Tmobile & Sprint Merge they are going to Dominate because they will have just as much Clout as the two other big boys. Sooooo This will pressure the other two to bring back Unlimited I believe. Other wise people (me) will start Abandoning them left and right and they wont be able to compete.
Verizon..... You are officially on NOTICE!!!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I think the this is not as big of a deal as the head line makes it out to be. When I first saw it I was all.... Well Buh-Bye Verizon..... but then I read who this would affect.
I really dont think its going to hardly affect anyone. It says if you have a 4G LTE device you will NOT be affected.
In order to be affected you must
be on an Unlimited data plan, have a 3G device or be on 3G, be in the top 5% of users of data, and be on a congested Cell site.
So unless all of those things are happening at once..... you will not be affected.

Dont get me wrong....... I still think its Skeezy but at least its not what we all thought it was when we read this headline.
I believe that when Tmobile & Sprint Merge they are going to Dominate because they will have just as much Clout as the two other big boys. Sooooo This will pressure the other two to bring back Unlimited I believe. Other wise people (me) will start Abandoning them left and right and they wont be able to compete.
Verizon..... You are officially on NOTICE!!!
Sorry to throw more fuel on your fire, but keep in mind that the explanation offered in the pic is from their old policy regarding 3G plans. The 4G LTE version is meant to go into effect on October 1st.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Swc2001 you're not supposed to actually read stuff. Just start ranting. Jeesh;-)

sent from my XT1080 using tapatrash

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
dgstorm might want to change the title too.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't see how the title wasn't clear enough for the main point, but I added a qualifier just to be sure. ;)

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I just read into the article as paraphrasing and removing some content vs. a new standard. At less than 3 megs download on any typical day they can throttle me all they want.

Wasn't trying to override your editorial knowhow.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will strive to be one of the top 6% so that my data stays as is.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just read into the article as paraphrasing and removing some content vs. a new standard. At less than 3 megs download on any typical day they can throttle me all they want.

Wasn't trying to override your editorial knowhow.

I didn't take it that way... I was just bustin' your chops brother. I definitely could have cleaned it up a bit and actually like the new title better. Thanks for keeping me on my toes! :D

swc2001

Reaction score
Dgstorm I see now what you're saying.
hmmm well that does change things.
If it happens to my family... were jumpin ship.
Not puting up with that!!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dgstorm I see now what you're saying.
hmmm well that does change things.
If it happens to my family... were jumpin ship.
Not puting up with that!!

Where you live does Tmo's 4G LTE (AT&T or Sprint's) speeds compare to Verizon's? If they don't will you still be jumping ship?