Verizon Responds to Getting Called Out by FCC About Throttling LTE Unlimited Data

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The only reason I think that is because I can drive 4 or 5 miles in any direction which would put me on a new tower and my speeds immediately jump back up to 25mbps. Obviously they know where I live and are throttling me on my "home" tower. Bastages! LOL Usually I can still stream content without a problem, but there are some days there's no point, I can sit there for 20 minutes trying to watch a 7 min YouTube clip.

tap'n on my S5

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Personally, I think I'm already being throttled.....and have been for the last year. When we first got our S3s, almost 2 1/2 years ago, our speeds were averaging 20-25mbps up, after about a year it dropped to an average of 5-6mbps up, sometimes less. I live in a small town so there can't be THAT much network congestion. I can understand a slight drop during peak hours, but not that much. When we first got our new S5s, speeds were averaging between 17-20 mbps up, during peak hours, the last week or so I've been averaging 5-8mbps up.....here's a screen shot just taken, during non peak hours.
Seems a bit fishy to me.
Town next to ours just got XLTE , so I'm going to drive over after work (about 20 min away) and do a speed test to see what the difference is.
If my current average is 5-8mbps and they throttle THOSE speeds, I won't be very happy. I may look into switching to TMo, even though they have crappy service everywhere outside of town. We'll see.
To be continued.....

tap'n on my S5
I don't' think you're being throttled at all. It all depends where I am and what server I test from.

I can get 30Mbps+ on XLTE at work and I get 7Mbps normally at the house.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm at a loss as to what it is then. Simple network traffic? I doubt it. We got LTE in our area a couple months before we got our S3s. First couple months speeds were amazing at my house. Then they dropped significantly. Exact same thing happened when we got our S5s last month, speeds were in the 20s at home for the first week or two, now their pathetic. I understand speeds fluctuate throughout the day, but I've tested the speeds during different times/days etc, no difference. Of course if I leave that area/tower, they go back up. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.... lol

tap'n on my S5

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
We were one of the first few cities to get LTE. Had a thunderbolt, LTE was awesome. Then everyone else got LTE and this is what it is today. Can't change it.