[Rumor] Rumors Indicate Verizon's 4G LTE Unlimited Data Plan Will Start at $29.99/mo.

Csst

Reaction score
My question is if say the 4G is available in Boston Mass but i live about 30 mins from boston when i punch my address in it says not available at this time would i still be able to lock into a 4G data plan if these rumors become true?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But if it means saving $10-15 a month for two years along with getting faster speeds now, I might as well just get a TB/Bionic and then sell it and pay retail for the next one.

I don't think the price will necessarily change, but the "promotion" could also very well be unlimited data, whereas down the road you may have to pay that extra $10 or $15 for 10gigs (instead of say 5).

That may or may not be worth it to you.

Otherwise, I'm right with you on that line of thinking. Pay retail for the Bionic or TB, and then I can sell it in 6-12 months when I used my upgrade on the phone I really want. Figure can still get maybe $300 for the phone and, combined with 12-24 months of saving that $10 a month premium it's almost a free phone.

The other thing I realize is these LTE phones might hold their value a lot better than other phones, main reason being 1/2-2/3 of the market won't be getting LTE any time soon. As VZW continues their deployment there should be a pretty strong re-sale market, people without an upgrade any time soon and people willing to pay a few extra bucks not to be locked into a contract

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My question is if say the 4G is available in Boston Mass but i live about 30 mins from boston when i punch my address in it says not available at this time would i still be able to lock into a 4G data plan if these rumors become true?

Well, the speculation has been fun and should soon end.

My guess is, since it appears there's a fracturing of the market - 3G-only and LTE-only phones - it's only a matter of what you buy (LTE will be backwards compatible). So Boston has LTE and I'm sure there are stores where you can purchase the phone, even if they "reject" you (can't imagine that would ever happen) based on where you live I'd think you could still get one because you work in an area with LTE.

If that's what you want to do. I'm not sure I'd make the jump just because I might save a few bucks for 12-24 months locking in a contract. I really believe the only long-term difference will be a promotional of unlimited data and then maybe capped at 5gigs for $29.99 per month.

Myself I've been wanting to upgrade my D1, and would like LTE, but have 6 months before my early upgrade. Just trying to justify or decide if it's worth it to pay retail for the TB or Bionic.

Jasonjohns

Reaction score
I have an early upgrade & I will be jumping all over the best buy deal, buy a new phone get buy back for free! TB here I come

DaWolf85

Reaction score

I found that verizon's online coverage map now shows specific areas where 4g is available. Check yourself there, I don't have coverage even though it says I do if I enter my specific address.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I found that verizon's online coverage map now shows specific areas where 4g is available. Check yourself there, I don't have coverage even though it says I do if I enter my specific address.

Coverage is good for me, although it's weird how there are 3 large "blocks" of 3G coverage right around my place. I'm a little surprised, both by those orphan "blocks" and the fact their map is so detailed.

Click on the below link and then 4G coverage to type in your address. Then if you click on the map it shows the immediate area around you.
4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless

Adrozz07

Reaction score
Hey, rememeber when 3g was OMG SUPER FAST?????? Well guess what? Its still fast. Just because 4g is faster doesn't mean its necessary. If you can justify the cost for the speed increase then get it. If not, wait for the price to drop just like all things electronic, if in fact the price is higher. We've been through this network upgrade before and will go through it again. Companies jack up prices because they know impulsive people will fill their coffers. But hey, no matter what service you have its still faster than the postal service.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Csst

Reaction score
But correct me if im wrong if the price is 29.99 unlimited for 4G, i already have 3G speeds for the same price would it be smart to lock in for this price just so i could get the unlimited data for 4G so when it does come to my area i wouldnt have to worry about a CAP. because isnt it true once you lock in a DATA plan they cant change it on you and put a CAP on it later on correct?

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
But correct me if im wrong if the price is 29.99 unlimited for 4G, i already have 3G speeds for the same price would it be smart to lock in for this price just so i could get the unlimited data for 4G so when it does come to my area i wouldnt have to worry about a CAP. because isnt it true once you lock in a DATA plan they cant change it on you and put a CAP on it later on correct?

I believe they can still throttle it, but you don't have to worry about a cap til you have to upgrade your phone and by then they will probably have tiered data plans.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no expert. :D

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, something to consider...If you jump on LTE not really needing or wanting to just to lock-in, consider that you don't know how long they'll offer unlimited for $30 (if indeed that's the case). What if they run the special for 18 months, and then you would have been better off to wait for the phone you really want on it?

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
Well, something to consider...If you jump on LTE not really needing or wanting to just to lock-in, consider that you don't know how long they'll offer unlimited for $30 (if indeed that's the case). What if they run the special for 18 months, and then you would have been better off to wait for the phone you really want on it?

Well if you think they are going to cap LTE soon if not when it's released (I believe it was you that posted that?) do you really think they will run the special for 18 months?

I'm not flaming or anything. Just asking a question. You know more than I do :D

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well if you think they are going to cap LTE soon if not when it's released (I believe it was you that posted that?) do you really think they will run the special for 18 months?

I'm not flaming or anything. Just asking a question. You know more than I do :D

I'm guessing just like everyone else. I suppose I'm saying that $29.99 and unlimited isn't a "special" just the same as data prices have been, so you don't really know how long that would go.

Somewhere I said capacity of LTE is at least 12x what 3G is. They won't NEED to cap for a long time, other than even 5% of users paying just $10 more for unlimited will start to add-up, but initially the goal to is to sign-up people for LTE. And for that reason I'll guess that whatever the plan starts at it probably won't change before the majority of the rollout is complete (2+ years?), unless they bump prices and don't hit subscriber targets and then they may have to drop prices or offer promotions.

The most likely game they'll play is I don't believe the LTE phones actually cost more to produce. The Atrix is priced at $199 (but we don't know if AT&T cranked up the subsidy to compete with Sprint & VZW for Android customers). VZW might price LTE phones at $249 or $299 (lower subsidy) which effectively increases the 2-yr price of LTE service $50-$100 without changing the data plan itself.