[Rumor] Rumors Indicate Verizon's 4G LTE Unlimited Data Plan Will Start at $29.99/mo.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I love how everyone is asking these questions like any of us have answers.... Anything people say right now is a rumor, no matter where there 'source' is, until Verizon comes out and tells us.

So until, we can all just hope lol

icemang

Reaction score
You get down to it, there's not exactly any meat in this thread.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Me and 90% of the other smart phone users. Seriously if someone can't afford an extra $10 a month for LTE, perhaps they shouldn't have a smartphone.

I can certainly afford it, but at some point the money is just obscene to me. $30 is pretty steep but I barely flinched. $40-$45 for smartphone data on top of $50 a month for home broadband is pretty sick. Even now I normally used my laptop when at home, occasionally I do find the Droid to be convenient but I don't know how people susbtitute use so much in favor of a 3.7" screen.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You get down to it, there's not exactly any meat in this thread.

True...I've said all along I don't expect prices to effectively change for most people, but there could be a cap and then an unlimited plan for more.

The $15 premium is a new one, which in a weird way almost lends some credibility to it. But people are basically getting that from what Sprint did, ignoring that Sprint was already way cheaper and had to raise prices to recover the subsidy for very expensive devices (and, by the way, they appear to be adding on that $10 for all new subscribers).

A $15 premium would seem to lack common sense on multiple fronts. I don't think VZW is stupid. How much more expensive is VZW, really, on average? $5-$10? They aren't upping that another $15.

sb1831

Reaction score
Me and 90% of the other smart phone users. Seriously if someone can't afford an extra $10 a month for LTE, perhaps they shouldn't have a smartphone.

I can certainly afford it, but at some point the money is just obscene to me. $30 is pretty steep but I barely flinched. $40-$45 for smartphone data on top of $50 a month for home broadband is pretty sick. Even now I normally used my laptop when at home, occasionally I do find the Droid to be convenient but I don't know how people susbtitute use so much in favor of a 3.7" screen.

I don't use the phone that much at all for tethering or anything like that, but the bottom line is, it's supposed to have better reception, Im in a LTE area, and seeing as I"ll be buying my phones outright from this point on (only do that with dev phones in the past).

Speaking as a former BB user though I'd give another $10 a month EASILY to not go back to one of them after using Android.

piquat

Reaction score

Ahhh, they're starting to come around.

That's my thinking exactly. Could I afford it? Pffft, of course.
That's not the envelope they're pushing. Is it worth it? THAT'S the question.

4G! FAST! Ya, you have a 4 inch screen... what's the point?

patfactorx

Reaction score
I cant imagine Verizon offering cheaper 4g than Sprint. $15 on top of data if u ask me

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
well seeing as how t-mo charges the data plus 4g, i think thats how all the companies are gonna price it.

bmxmster

Reaction score
verizon-4g-lte-comparison.jpg

Some new rumors indicate that Verizon may have finalized part of the pricing for their 4G LTE Unlimited Data Plan, and that it will launch at $29.99 per month. This would be pretty good news if it turns out to be true; however, please take this with a grain of salt as this kind of 'unconfirmed' industry rumor can easily turn out to be false. In fact, another rumor circulating the interwebs suggests that it will be $29.99 for the data service, and an additional $15 dollars for 4G service. Until we get either an official confirmation or multiple confirms from our insider sources, we'll play a game of 'wait and see'. Get out your four-leaf clover, or lucky rabbit's foot.

Source: Droid-Life

That would definitely be legit if they kept it at $29.99

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I cant imagine Verizon offering cheaper 4g than Sprint. $15 on top of data if u ask me

Except Sprint 4G is already cheaper (or maybe the same price) as VZW 3G.

$15 is not going to happen. I think $10 is pushing it. A lot was made of Sprint charging the $10 premium, but their service was historically bottom-tier, and the price reflected that. With 4G they finally could charge a premium for "superior" service, but even then it only brought their price in-line with VZW 3G.

VZW has to show success with LTE and they almost HAVE to, at least in some markets, upconvert users with the IPhone coming. I will be shocked if they increase the price. Virtually inconceivable it would be more than a $5 premium.

They can also play games with the subsidies. I'm not sure it costs more to produce an LTE phone, but if these costs $250-$300 that's a $50-$100 savings to VZW which is worth another $2.50-$5.00 per month on a 2-yr contract. This is probably the more likely (certain?) scenario. Again, their LTE mobile broadband plans were the same as 3G and actually cheaper in a couple of cases. People are getting all worked-up for nothing.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
A 10 or 15 dollar difference is hardly more than a ten percent hike for significantly newer technology and faster speeds, which is well worth the speed increase for someone like me who uses my droid almost exclusively as a computer/mp3/gaming/streaming device.

Also you gotta realize that this is only marketed as 4G, and comes nowhere close to the actual required specification for true LTE. Imagine if, yeah right, VZW rolls out yet another blistering fast upgrade to the network once they fully implement the technology.

I heard a rumor that verizon will be upgrading their cdma towers to EV-DO rev. b along the same timeframe as lte support becomes nationwide, which i believe is a 30% increase in maximum sustainable bandwidth for 3G users. Yay?

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A 10 or 15 dollar difference is hardly more than a ten percent hike

actually more like a 33-50% increase. If they increase it $15, possibly even just $10, it will be a disaster and I will wait until they drop the price.

mr_silent

Reaction score
Must be a pain going trough any major carrier for service. I live in Alaska, and I get service through a regional provider named GCI. Unlimited voice,text,and mms for $50, then unlimited data for $30. After tax its about $90 a month, but limited to 3g atm.
Haven't found any download limit yet either, and I'm constantly downloading torrents apps and games.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mr_silent

Reaction score
A good thing about the price increase, is that if u brick ur phone, vzw is more likely to give you a decent replacement. Even with a voided warranty.
See, you gotta convince the customer service rep that its the company's best interest to keep you on the data plan. Worked for me here in Ak when I foolishly installed a baseband for vzw. The voice calling worked but couldn't get a 3g signal.
After about two hours of trying to fix it they gave in. It was funny though, I knew more about their phones than they did! By the way my phone is actually a milestone1 with an unlocked bootloader. In case people thought that milestone was for other countries. Its what we got in Ak right now till ATT launches the Atrix.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App