[Rumor] More Confusion for Samsung Nexus Prime Names; May Be 2 Different Phones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-nexus-white.jpg
Droid-Prime.png

This newest rumor regarding the Samsung Nexus Prime, or whatever it will be called, is tinged with possible truth and fiction, and seems to complicate thing all over again. The articles on both Droid-Life and TheDroidGuy were fairly confusing to disseminate, but we will give it a shot here. According to a report from TheDroidGuy, the Nexus and the Prime will actually be two different phones. Supposedly, one of their journalists was able to sit down with a Verizon Tester, that has been working with both the HTC Vigor and the Samsung Prime. (An interesting side-note is that the Verizon Tester indicated that the Vigor was the better phone.) Also, a different staff member for theDroidGuy was able to play with the HTC Vigor and the Samsung Nexus, at the same conference, but with a different person, determining that they were two different devices.

Ultimately, what we were able to glean from the articles was the following, and much of it is speculative: (Please do not assume that what we consider any of this factual. For now, it simply is hearsay that is worth informing you about, because it could be accurate.)
  • There is going to be a Samsung Prime that is not a stock Android phone (will have a TouchWiz UI overlay)
  • The Samsung Prime is a different Samsung device from the Samsung Nexus, and will not be the first phone with Ice Cream Sandwich
  • The Samsung Prime is possibly a follow-up to the Droid Charge
  • The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the next Google phone
  • The Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be coming to Verizon and will be the first phone to come with Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Neither device will have a physical home button
  • Samsung used the name Nexus Prime in a legal document in order to misdirect the press before the actual launch of the phones
  • The Samsung Galaxy Nexus could have TouchWiz (which seems unlikely - also, the two articles disputed each other on this point)
None of this has been substantiated, nor confirmed in any way, but it definitely makes for some interesting discussion. Sound off in the forums what you think of this mess.

Source: PrimeForums via Droid-Life and TheDroidGuy

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Man, someone is running major interference on us guys. We need to get a mole on the inside! Or implement operation "Nexusgate"!

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have been talking about this over in the "New Phone Rumor Mill" a bit... I agree with the droid-life article (i think it was) when he said that the only reason they think the Nexus devices will have a Sammy UI is because the test devices was actually running GB at the time. This supports earlier claims that ICS isn't quite "field-ready" and will be a last minute implementation onto the phone. I find it really hard tho believe a new OS is going to make it's big début with another UI on top of it.

creaky

Reaction score
One thing this could point to would be two devices, one for VZW (Droid Prime or whatever) that has Touchwiz, bloat, etc. and another phone that is the vanilla, ICS phone (Nexus Prime or whatever) that may or may not come to VZW.

God I hope the latter is the one rumored to hit VZW in early November....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing this could point to would be two devices, one for VZW (Droid Prime or whatever) that has Touchwiz, bloat, etc. and another phone that is the vanilla, ICS phone (Nexus Prime or whatever) that may or may not come to VZW.

God I hope the latter is the one rumored to hit VZW in early November....

According to kellex at droid-life, both are coming to VZW. the galaxy nexus will come first and it will be pure ICS, and then the Droid Prime, the successor to the Charge will come second and will have touchwiz.

Kellex seems to be in the know and has seemingly confirmed the above happening, so that's good news

creaky

Reaction score
That would be great - did Kellex indicate whether or not the Galaxy Nexus (ICS phone) would be LTE?

Ninjak

Reaction score
(An interesting side-note is that the Verizon Tester indicated that the Vigor was the better phone.)

I found this comment to be quite interesting and have been wondering which would be better, having just returned my Bionic the other day. (I disliked the amount of background noise in my audio as mentioned on other threads and forums). Assuming for a moment (as has been rumored) that the Vigor will be the Droid Incredible HD possibly coming in the middle of next month, I might be more inclined to go that route than Nexus or Prime, especially if we determine in the coming weeks that the specs aren't too dissimilar. Much as I'd love to have Ice Cream Sandwich on the latest hardware, I'm wondering just how much patching it's going to need if they rush it out. Mind you, it's not as if we have some idea when the Vigor would be upgraded to ICS either. Whichever phone I opt for, I hope they make an extended battery for it as svelte as the one that was made for the Bionic as opposed to the hump the Thunderbolt got for its extended.

RedTarget

Reaction score
I find it incredible that Google/Samsung/Verizon have done such a good job of keeping these devices in the same category as Bigfoot, UFO's and Ghosts..etc. Many people claim to have seen it(them), but there seems to be no solid proof what-so-ever. We haven't even gotten a blurry picture of a corner of an indiscriminate object next to a glass of beer that someone claims is this elusive device! :frown:

With that out of the way I am looking forward to either of these devices and hope to get some solid information soon regarding specs and the design. I don't want to pull the trigger on the bionic yet with these and the IncredibleHD on the horizon as I think the wait should be worth it. Coworker has a Bionic and it is a nice device... but it just didn't grab me like the OG Droid did. However the lack of information is very interesting...