Rubix vs Apex

OP
L

luv2increase

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to the forums, but i thought I'd post my opinion.

I have had RubiX focused 1.0 installed for a while, and definitely prefer it over stock 2.2. There are some featured that I didn't like were left out(Backup Assistant, Car Dock, etc.), but most of these I could install from a patch on sephtin's website. After a while I decided i wanted to try out ApeX. Comparing the two, they seem the same in speed, but what i notice is the different features. I love NexTheme and how it looks, and that was pretty much the turning point which drove me to ApeX.

One of the things that i loved on RubiX, that ApeX doesn't have is the RubiX Gallery app(not so much the Camera, just the Gallery)
Is there a way to get the RubiX gallery on to my ApeX Rom?

That's just the Google 3d gallery, which is available in ApeX. In fact there's a script built into ApeX to switch between the stock Moto gallery and the 3d gallery. See the first post of the ApeX 1.0 thread for more info, but I think you just type gallery -3d to switch to the 3d gallery and gallery -mot to switch back to the stock Moto. This would be done in a terminal emulator on your phone.

The one on Rubix does things I haven't been able to do on the 3d gallery apps in the market.

One thing in particular is seeing a PREVIEW of media in tiles before you even go into that folder. Just hold two fingers on a group of photos and then move ur fingers apart and WATCH THE MAGIC!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mwm523

Reaction score

I have had RubiX focused 1.0 installed for a while, and definitely prefer it over stock 2.2. There are some featured that I didn't like were left out(Backup Assistant, Car Dock, etc.), but most of these I could install from a patch on sephtin's website. After a while I decided i wanted to try out ApeX. Comparing the two, they seem the same in speed, but what i notice is the different features. I love NexTheme and how it looks, and that was pretty much the turning point which drove me to ApeX.

One of the things that i loved on RubiX, that ApeX doesn't have is the RubiX Gallery app(not so much the Camera, just the Gallery)

That's just the Google 3d gallery, which is available in ApeX. In fact there's a script built into ApeX to switch between the stock Moto gallery and the 3d gallery. See the first post of the ApeX 1.0 thread for more info, but I think you just type gallery -3d to switch to the 3d gallery and gallery -mot to switch back to the stock Moto. This would be done in a terminal emulator on your phone.

The one on Rubix does things I haven't been able to do on the 3d gallery apps in the market.

One thing in particular is seeing a PREVIEW of media in tiles before you even go into that folder. Just hold two fingers on a group of photos and then move ur fingers apart and WATCH THE MAGIC!

Yeah, it's the same in ApeX.

Joshpriebe1234

Reaction score

Thanks! Worked great after i fugured out i had to use superuser permissions

su
gallery -3d

Thanks for the tip--ApeX FTW

cdroidx33dig

Reaction score
on rubix it will constantly freeze up then re boot. anyone else having this issue . anyone know how to fix it? can anyone help me with installing a theme on rubix blurry 1.0? ive tried incognito red via rom manager but when it starts back up there is no change...any help would be greatly appreciated

JRobzilla

Reaction score
on rubix it will constantly freeze up then re boot. anyone else having this issue . anyone know how to fix it? can anyone help me with installing a theme on rubix blurry 1.0? ive tried incognito red via rom manager but when it starts back up there is no change...any help would be greatly appreciated

I haven't kept in the loop with Incognito, but wasn't that theme for Focused? Again, I'm not sure but that's when I remember it coming out.

I can't help you with any freeze/reboots on blurry as I've only run focused, sorry.

OP
L

luv2increase

Reaction score

I haven't kept in the loop with Incognito, but wasn't that theme for Focused? Again, I'm not sure but that's when I remember it coming out.

I can't help you with any freeze/reboots on blurry as I've only run focused, sorry.

Yes it was for Focused. Why they would think it would be ok to put on Rubix Blurry is well beyond me... You live and learn :icon_ banana:

MrFishstick

Reaction score
Tranquility is probably the weakest excuse of a ROM available for the DX right now. If it works for you though, more power to you I guess.

I FORGOT TO MENTION!
I've ran the folllowing code a few days after my Rubix installation. I guess I may be basing my feelings off a tweaked Rubix vs Apex.

If you have Rubix, run the following code and then put on your dirty shades :)

$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
# chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/01cpuod
# chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/02vm
# busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d

You only need to run it once. Drod mentioned this at XDA but may not have here. It will increase performance and battery life!

its giving me an error message " unable to chmod /system/etc/init.d/01cpuod: no such file or directory

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Tranquility is probably the weakest excuse of a ROM available for the DX right now. If it works for you though, more power to you I guess.

I FORGOT TO MENTION!
I've ran the folllowing code a few days after my Rubix installation. I guess I may be basing my feelings off a tweaked Rubix vs Apex.

If you have Rubix, run the following code and then put on your dirty shades :)

$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
# chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/01cpuod
# chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/02vm
# busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d

You only need to run it once. Drod mentioned this at XDA but may not have here. It will increase performance and battery life!

its giving me an error message " unable to chmod /system/etc/init.d/01cpuod: no such file or directory

These are now ran stock on my rom, no more need to run these, I fixed the issue :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

DThomp

Reaction score
OK, since nobody replied a few pages back. In root explorer, how do you set the permissions to 644, I bring up permissions and get 3 rows of 3 options? This is so I can put LP+ into system apps. Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but those of us with the Droid X lose all HDMI function with Rubix Focused. That was one of the biggest reasons I got the X over a Fascinate or 2 and reason enough for me to go back to Apex. I've had both Apex 1.0 and Rubix 1.6 Focused and I honestly didn't notice any difference between them speed wise. The Blur camera and HDMI support (RealHDMI does not crash for me at all using Apex) are enough to keep me on Apex even if Rubix might be a little faster benchmark wise. Again, I noticed no difference running at 1.35ghz ULV.

MrFishstick

Reaction score
so i figured I'd give rubiX 1.6 with blackjuice theme and blackbar mod a shot, and it only took me one day to switch back to apeX. my wifi wouldnt connect to my ip, my titanium backup wasn't working, and i wasn't getting my emails(yahoo) unless i searched for them manually. my benchmarks were actually running around the same at 1.25ghz. it was an easy decision for me to make!

GTvert90

Reaction score
so i figured I'd give rubiX 1.6 with blackjuice theme and blackbar mod a shot, and it only took me one day to switch back to apeX. my wifi wouldnt connect to my ip, my titanium backup wasn't working, and i wasn't getting my emails(yahoo) unless i searched for them manually. my benchmarks were actually running around the same at 1.25ghz. it was an easy decision for me to make!
Last I checked black juice wasn't compatable with 1.6 yet only 1.0 that could be the cause of your issues.

MrFishstick

Reaction score
Hmmm. Very well could be. Looks like ima gonna have to start fresh

droid x~ rooted~apeX 1.0~ REVOlution

OP
L

luv2increase

Reaction score

Yeah, your problems sound like user-error for sure. You should check out the Rubix 1.6 thread to learn more. It is very informative.

@ ScottyDsntKnow
I've never used the HDMI yet, but if you do need that feature, it would be common sense to go with a ROM which still keeps it in place. However, you are one of the very very few users who actually use the feature.

I prefer to have my powerhouse PC hooked up to my HDTV rather than a dinky smartphone :icon_ banana:

Reaction score

Yeah, your problems sound like user-error for sure. You should check out the Rubix 1.6 thread to learn more. It is very informative.

@ ScottyDsntKnow
I've never used the HDMI yet, but if you do need that feature, it would be common sense to go with a ROM which still keeps it in place. However, you are one of the very very few users who actually use the feature.

I prefer to have my powerhouse PC hooked up to my HDTV rather than a dinky smartphone :icon_ banana:
I take a lot of videos and its really nice to be able to jack into any old HDTV including ones at work to show off the 720p video without having to go through any major hassle. Literally plug in and go, takes all of 5 seconds. I tried using RealHDMI with Rubix, did not work due to no Blur. Other than that Rubix 1.6 worked great with a black bar mod specifically for 1.6 that I found on the forums. I had 0 issues at all with Rubix 1.6 and Wireless tether was working great confirmed by disabling my home network and going just through the phone.

With that said I find Apex just as fast as Rubix with the blur camera that I like plus the HDMI features. I am running it with NexTheme and I LOVE it. Phone was always rock solid at 1.35GHZ ULV on stock Froyo via jrummy's excellent app and it never faltered on either ROM. I guess I got one of the good Droid Xs after all the horror stories I keep hearing about ppl with overclocking issues.

edit: Having the improved transparent car dock is also a nice option with Apex if I decide I actually like using it over the home screen. The X has a huge screen so its easier to hit the app shortcuts on the desktop vs something like an Ally.

Last edited: