[Q] Stock Blur Text Messaging on apeX V1 (possibly other ROMs)

mortodestructo

Reaction score
THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED. SEE BOLD TEXT BELOW.

I'm currently running apeX V1, but I'm trying to get the stock Blur "Text Messaging" app to work. I've tried Handcent and a couple of other MMS apps, but I am not impressed with them.

I restored to my rooted and just-deodexed 2.2 OTA nand backup and copied the entire /system directory to SD card. Then, I restored back to apeX V1.

First, I copied:

Messaging.apk
Conversations.apk
BlurEmailEngine.apk <- THIS .APK, ALONG WITH THE PREVIOUS TWO, ARE ALL THAT IS NEEDED - SOLVED 10/29/2010, thanks to Highflyin128!

from the old /system directory on the SD card to the current /system directory. After rebooting, I saw the "Text Messaging" app in my app drawer. When I ran it, it popped up for a couple of seconds, started loading messages, and then immediately closed.

So far, I've copied these additional .APKs from the old /system directory to the current one:

BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk
MessagesWidget.apk
SocialMessaging.apk
UniversalInbox.apk

But I'm still experiencing the same behavior as before. Any ideas as to what I might be still missing?

Last edited:

cpjr

Reaction score
Apex is not a blur ROM, so you cant install blur apps.

The framework wont support it.

OP
mortodestructo

mortodestructo

Reaction score

I have had luck with other Blur apps. BlurAlarm, Dock, and CarDock are all running smoothly, at this point. It is definitely possible, and I don't mind modifying the framework, if necessary.

OP
mortodestructo

mortodestructo

Reaction score
more information:

The blur-res.apk was smaller in apeX than in the 2.2 deodexed OTA, so I extracted both and did a Beyond Compare (Scooter Software) on the two. It has been modified, but it's apparently not the source of my issue, since the only differences are in image sizes. All XML files are the same.

Here are the differences I've found in /app between my deodexed 2.2 OTA and apeX.

I currently do not have the following .APKs in /app in apeX:
AdminFeedNotifier.apk
AdService.apk
amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk
android-syncservice-app.apk
BackupAssistanceClient.apk
Blockbuster.apk
BlurCalendar.apk
BlurEmail.apk
BlurEmailEngine.apk
BlurHome.apk
BuaContactAdapter.apk
CityID.apk
ClockWidget.apk
cmas.apk
com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk
DLNA.apk
DlnaSystemService.apk
Fota.apk
FriendFeed.apk
Gmail.apk
HelpCenter.apk
HomeSyncWizard.apk
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
Maps.apk
MediaSync.apk
MtlrNotifier.apk
Mynet.apk
MyVerizon.apk
NewsWidget.apk
oma1motService.apk
OMADownload.apk
OMAProvisioning.apk
PhotoWidget.apk
PNI-Moto.apk
PolicyMgrProvider.apk
PolicyMgrService.apk
Protips.apk
QuickContactWidget.apk
redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk
SDMService.apk
Skype_mobile.live.apk
SocialShare.apk
StatusWidget.apk
StickyNoteWidget.apk
Stk.apk
Street.apk
SyncML.apk
ToggleWidgets.apk
Visualization.apk
VoiceCommands.apk
Vvm.apk
WmdrmDla.apk
WmdrmWebpush.apk
WorkContacts.apk
YouTube.apk

I keep thinking the stock messaging app may depend on the presence of one of these. If I could get blur text messaging to work, I'd be 100% sold on apeX.

H

Highflyin128

Fabolous has a post with his rom of the all the apk he pulled from the rom and advised we can reinstall them thru terminal.

I got the stock blur text messaging back, but it closes right after it opens.

H

Highflyin128

I'm currently running apeX V1, but I'm trying to get the stock Blur "Text Messaging" app to work. I've tried Handcent and a couple of other MMS apps, but I am not impressed with them.

I restored to my rooted and just-deodexed 2.2 OTA nand backup and copied the entire /system directory to SD card. Then, I restored back to apeX V1.

First, I copied:

Messaging.apk
Conversations.apk

from the old /system directory on the SD card to the current /system directory. After rebooting, I saw the "Text Messaging" app in my app drawer. When I ran it, it popped up for a couple of seconds, started loading messages, and then immediately closed.

So far, I've copied these additional .APKs from the old /system directory to the current one:

MessagesWidget.apk
SocialMessaging.apk
UniversalInbox.apk

But I'm still experiencing the same behavior as before. Any ideas as to what I might be still missing?

I got the stock blur text messaging back, but it closes right after it opens.

So far i installed thru terminal:
Conversations.apk<~~~which is the blur text app
Messaging.apk

And still closes upon opening.

I got all the removed stock blur from Apex- post#2
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/87791-rom-apex-droid-x-aosp-experience.html

H

Highflyin128

Got the Blur Text App to work.

thru terminal:
Messaging.apk
Universalinbox.apk
-=====at this point it still wasnt working
once I installed Bluremailengine.apk...BAM....StockBlurr Text messaging app was working.

So I dont know if all the above needs installed or just some..But thats the order I did mine, till it worked. And of course use Titanium Backup and Freeze [SMS/MMS PREFS] Messaging 2.2 to stop double notifications

bcals0087

Reaction score
Got the Blur Text App to work.

thru terminal:
Messaging.apk
Universalinbox.apk
-=====at this point it still wasnt working
once I installed Bluremailengine.apk...BAM....StockBlurr Text messaging app was working.

So I dont know if all the above needs installed or just some..But thats the order I did mine, till it worked. And of course use Titanium Backup and Freeze [SMS/MMS PREFS] Messaging 2.2 to stop double notifications

Just so you know, for the stock blur messaging app, you don't need the BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk, or messaging.apk, or Universalinbox.apk. All you need is the Conversations.apk, and Bluremailengine.apk, and from the /framework folder, you need the com.motorola.blur.library.messaging jar file. This apparently has something to do with the messages that are actually stored. Set permissions and good to go. This should work for ALL roms, blur, or blurless.

thomashedd

Reaction score
Hello, im a complete newbie when it comes to terminal. Could you please explain how to do this?