Rooting problem

scott craft

Reaction score
Ok, I see what you're saying.... I think, lol. Can I boot TWRP recovery after I've flashed Amon Ra? I'll read through the link and see what I can do. You are right about the age of the rooting stickies, there isn't a reference to the newer stuff. Thanks for the help also!

acejavelin

Reaction score
Ok, I see what you're saying.... I think, lol. Can I boot TWRP recovery after I've flashed Amon Ra? I'll read through the link and see what I can do. You are right about the age of the rooting stickies, there isn't a reference to the newer stuff. Thanks for the help also!

Yes, you can boot any recovery irregardless of what recovery is actually installed in the device... "booting" essentially sends a temporary copy of your specified recovery.img as a virtual "boot.img" and starts it. This bypasses some of the normal restrictions of the installed recovery.

scott craft

Reaction score
Do you have a recommendation for a good ROM? I might have to go back to the beginning and start over with the link you provided if I can't get some things sorted out on this phone. This is definitely different than when I rooted my og droid.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Do you have a recommendation for a good ROM? I might have to go back to the beginning and start over with the link you provided if I can't get some things sorted out on this phone. This is definitely different than when I rooted my og droid.
This would be one of my recommendations as well, and it's maintained by Snuzzo who is one of the best developers for the Rezound out there and is also the author of Funky Kernel, the defacto standard for Rezound kernels... the other choice I would recommend would be Talon v1.0 (AOKP). Either one would suit you well, just watch the forums and read thoroughly the first few postings in the threads and the last 4-5 pages of each thread!

There are many other ROMs out there, many of which are good or even better, but these are very trouble free and stable and recommended for beginning ROMers... some of the others require periodic... ummm... let's just say "tweaking" and frequent updating at times. :)

Last edited:

scott craft

Reaction score
Having some problems getting a rom on the phone. I'm going to work on it tomorrow evening when I have plenty of time. I might end up relocking and going back stock and start over with the method from android forums.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Having some problems getting a rom on the phone. I'm going to work on it tomorrow evening when I have plenty of time. I might end up relocking and going back stock and start over with the method from android forums.

What's the problem?

scott craft

Reaction score
The big problem right now is that the two roms I've tried bootlooped. The main problem as I see it is that I started off using the rooting methods outlined in the development section then tried to switch to the method acejavelin linked to. I am able to get into hboot and recovery so I'm sure it can be straightened out. I want to try some things tomorrow evening when I have more time to play with it. I'm certainly glad this is currently my backup phone!

Bpowder33

Reaction score
With these roms in really shouldn't matter if your rooted or not prior because the roms themselves have superuser built in...all you need is an unlocked bootloader.... It sounds like your not flashing the boot.img (aka kernel) after flashing the rom if you are bootlooping....

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Definitely flash boot.img after you flash the rom........ This is why it is better to enter recovery via fastboot command "fastboot boot whatever_recovery_you_are_using.img".... Preferably twrp 2.6.3.0......then once in twrp recovery it will flash the rom and the kernel together in one step, then flash gapps after if not built in the rom

Last edited:

acejavelin

Reaction score
If you are flashing the ROM from the recovery installed in the phone, you must manually "fastboot flash boot boot.img" after installing the ROM, if you loading recovery by "fastboot boot recovery.img" then you do not have manually flash boot.img, although doing so will not hurt anything.

Remember the ROM ZIP file needs to be on the SD card of the phone, not your PC. You "fastboot boot recovery.img", wipe everything, flash the ROM ZIP, and reboot... if that isn't working then one of those steps isn't being done correctly.

Also, are you sure they are bootlooping? How long did you wait? I have seen some ROMs take a good 10-15 minutes on first boot, maybe more... although it feels like forever. It always seems to go through my mind that it's taking too long and I need to pull the battery and restart because I missed something but it (almost) always comes up given enough time.

Last edited: