Rooted my thunderbolt, now no GPS...

afrchutch

Reaction score
If anyone might be able to help me out I would appreciate it. I rooted my thunderbolt using revolutionary and I installed CM7 on it. Everything works perfect except my GPS. I know this is common but everyone seems to just run GPS fix and its fine. I've tried every GPS fixing app I could find and nothing worked. It will show my location on Google maps but no navigation whatsoever. Any suggestions? I would really like to have my navigation back.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Might be a silly question, but did you try restarting the phone? Maybe even pulling the battery might help.

If not, I would suggest reflashing CM7

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What do tools like GPS Status show? Is it picking up any satellites? What "GPS fixing" tools have you used exactly? Have you cleared aGPS data?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If anyone might be able to help me out I would appreciate it. I rooted my thunderbolt using revolutionary and I installed CM7 on it. Everything works perfect except my GPS. I know this is common but everyone seems to just run GPS fix and its fine. I've tried every GPS fixing app I could find and nothing worked. It will show my location on Google maps but no navigation whatsoever. Any suggestions? I would really like to have my navigation back.

If you mean most folks using CM7 have this problem, then I don't really anything. However, if that is not the case, I would suggest the exact same thing I do anytime you experience a fairly unique problem right after a new rom installation. And that is to reinstall the rom. I normally do a quick reinstall without wipes first and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't I then do a full wipe and reinstall. If the problem isn't with the rom, then it most often is an installation error which is most often a wipe problem.

Good luck.

OP
afrchutch

afrchutch

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but did you try restarting the phone? Maybe even pulling the battery might help.

If not, I would suggest reflashing CM7

CM7 has been on my phone for a while now and has always been doing this since I installed. The last time I re-flashed the rom it wiped out my entire music library. I'm sure you would all agree, or at least I think you will, that music is more important than navigation. Having said that, my phone is picking up satellites because it can find where I am +/- 1600 meters. The problem is the OEM navigation app will not navigate. Nor will any 3rd party navigation app such as waze. Sorry for not being more clear guys.

sjpritch25

Reaction score
Are you talking about Google navigator?

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
CM7 has been on my phone for a while now and has always been doing this since I installed. The last time I re-flashed the rom it wiped out my entire music library. I'm sure you would all agree, or at least I think you will, that music is more important than navigation. Having said that, my phone is picking up satellites because it can find where I am +/- 1600 meters. The problem is the OEM navigation app will not navigate. Nor will any 3rd party navigation app such as waze. Sorry for not being more clear guys.

So google maps doesn't work? I'm not familiar with any other navigator app.

Your music can easily be dragged and dropped back in, I recommend you hook it up to your PC and just transfer all your music or whatever you want to save into a folder on your pc.

I recommend you reflashed the phone, but make sure you wipe all data and cache, so that it really is a fresh install. If the problem persists may want to bring up the problem with CM7 developer. I run CM7 myself and have no problems, flashed it about 3 weeks ago and everything works fine.

OP
afrchutch

afrchutch

Reaction score
So google maps doesn't work? I'm not familiar with any other navigator app.

Your music can easily be dragged and dropped back in, I recommend you hook it up to your PC and just transfer all your music or whatever you want to save into a folder on your pc.

I recommend you reflashed the phone, but make sure you wipe all data and cache, so that it really is a fresh install. If the problem persists may want to bring up the problem with CM7 developer. I run CM7 myself and have no problems, flashed it about 3 weeks ago and everything works fine.

Ya its the Google maps navigator that comes on android. I've tried waze as well with no luck. And all my music is on MOG so I'm not sure if a can put that into my PC.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I unrooted and now it works

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
You need to flash a sense Rom, get a lock on your gps with that, then flash cm7. That's a common problem with aosp roms on the tbolt

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

OP
afrchutch

afrchutch

Reaction score
You need to flash a sense Rom, get a lock on your gps with that, then flash cm7. That's a common problem with aosp roms on the tbolt

Like bamf forever? I don't know if you use MOG for your music vs. the stock music app but any idea how I can xfer that music somewhere so I don't have to re-download it? Unfortunately MOG has no cloud backup system :-(. And ultimately my music will take priority over the navigation. I have a Garmin nuvi so its no big deal.

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
Like bamf forever? I don't know if you use MOG for your music vs. the stock music app but any idea how I can xfer that music somewhere so I don't have to re-download it? Unfortunately MOG has no cloud backup system :-(. And ultimately my music will take priority over the navigation. I have a Garmin nuvi so its no big deal.

Yeah I used BAMF for locking gps and it worked for the liquid smooth 3.0 Rom which I highly recommend over cm7 for the tbolt. And yeah I use the stock music app Haha sorry.

OP
afrchutch

afrchutch

Reaction score
Yeah I used BAMF for locking gps and it worked for the liquid smooth 3.0 Rom which I highly recommend over cm7 for the tbolt. And yeah I use the stock music app Haha sorry.

I hate sense with a passion though. I rooted to get rid of it. I know bamf is a good rom but I just can't do sense.

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
I hate sense with a passion though. I rooted to get rid of it. I know bamf is a good rom but I just can't do sense.

Just flash BAMF, get a gps lock then flash liquid smooth 3.0. It's the best aosp Rom on the tb

OP
afrchutch

afrchutch

Reaction score
Just flash BAMF, get a gps lock then flash liquid smooth 3.0. It's the best aosp Rom on the tb

I'm just a little nervous to flash a new rom. I dont know why but Im worried it will go wrong. I'm not too familiar with the process. In fact I'm surprised I was successful the first time. Would I need a radio package different from what I downloaded with CM7 in order to run liquid smooth or bamf?? Sorry I'm still a noob.