Gps not working

findit

Reaction score
never used it much but after the 4.0 update on maps I tried to find my location with the gps on and all I get is the blue dot with a circle that is a few miles off, same as if I had the gps off. What gives, seems as if the gps never locks on. I tried several times on and off outside with clear skies and I get the same thing. Any idea why gps won't lock on? It has worked in the past.:cus: Also phone not rooted, running everything stock

Last edited:

88g

Reaction score
same with you. Just blue dot and don't move. How can I got a moving dot like iPhone??

dabierwasgood

Reaction score
I've gotten that issue at times where I haven't moved from an area (i.e. my house) for a while. But once I started moving in my vehicle it locked on.

I'm not sure exactly where you are trying to get your location, or what the other variables are in your situation. But hopefully this helped a little bit at least.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the latest Google maps and it zooms right down on my location, no doubt about it. It is a blue flashing dot but it's right at my house.

88g

Reaction score
but the BLUE dot is not moving when I was moving.....why?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
but the BLUE dot is not moving when I was moving.....why?

Not certain but I believe that maps uses gps to find your location. It will use it again from time to time but I don't think it will show movement unless you are using navigation. If you're using navigation it should show your vehicle, or even if your walking, some movement.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The dot will move in Google Maps. I've used it as a 2D "follow me" map.

There's definitely something up with the GPS on the Droids above. It's not moving for those above because triangulation or whatever non-GPS alternative is being used isn't accurate enough to detect "small" movements. If the people above drove several miles (or whatever distance the blue circle indicates as margin of error) the dot and circle would move once triangulation/whatever was able to discern a change in location.

IIRC several threads recommend downloading the app GPS Status. A search on the phrase would probably yield more details as I don't recall if GPS Status was supposed to help resolve the issue or just assist with troubleshooting.

Last edited:

gpsmapper

Reaction score
Things to try:

1. Use Advanced Task Killer to kill any other apps that may be using GPS
2. Do a full power shutdown / reboot
3. If you don't have GPS always on, leave the unit out under open sky for a full half hour to reacquire ephemeris data

billyidle

Reaction score
Maybe we should find out if they have GPS enabled, or if they only have the cell phone tower aGPS enabled.

zerosignal0

Reaction score
I have also started having this issue on chevys 2.1 rom. I can confirm that I didnt have this problem 4 days ago last I used GPS with google maps. I have always had GPS enabled as well. Everything in google maps works and is even able to find me in the correct spot on the map everytime around town but navigation says "acquiring gps signal" and never actually starts the navigation. I left it in my cradle and drove for over an hour with it doing this and it never found anything. During that time I rebooted twice and dropped my OC in case that was interfering with no joy...